Video: Cowboys Mailbag

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a couple of good talking points in this video that I thought might add a positive change in direction to the discussion that is currently dominating the zone. Here's hoping anyway...:grin:

Don't count on it!
:laugh:

Reaction score
There was a couple of good talking points in this video that I thought might add a positive change in direction to the discussion that is currently dominating the zone. Here's hoping anyway...:grin:

Can you please summarize for those of us who cannot watch right now?

jday

Reaction score
Can you please summarize for those of us who cannot watch right now?
There were several topics discussed and I dropped it while at lunch and am unable to rewatch right now.

That said, most of it was draft related. The topic that stood out to me is a topic that is near and dear to my heart:

In short Rashaan Evans > Leighton Vander Esch.

Reaction score
There were several topics discussed and I dropped it while at lunch and am unable to rewatch right now.

That said, most of it was draft related. The topic that stood out to me is a topic that is near and dear to my heart:

In short Rashaan Evans > Leighton Vander Esch.

Sadly, I disagree. But c'est le vie.

jday

Reaction score
I'd be OK with either Evans or Vander Esch. One would be good for now, the other could be even better for the future.
Before Bobby Carpenter happened, I'd be all over LVE. But I don't want to spend a first rounder on a guy many people are describing as a project. He certainly has the requisite athleticism, but as we have seen on countless occasions, athleticism is not even half the battle.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Before Bobby Carpenter happened, I'd be all over LVE. But I don't want to spend a first rounder on a guy many people are describing as a project. He certainly has the requisite athleticism, but as we have seen on countless occasions, athleticism is not even half the battle.

My thinking is such that Evans might well be gone before we can even sniff his presence.

I think it's reasonably more likely that Vander Esch might well be what's left for us to take.

That's assuming, of course, that an Esch pick would be what's 1st on our list. It's possible.

The Cowboys are well known to value athleticism above and beyond what most teams do.

Last edited:

jday

Reaction score
Sadly, I disagree. But c'est le vie.
3 to 4 years ago, I probably would have to. If you look at their perspective stats and combine performances, LVE is clearly the better prospect on paper. But...

For me it comes down to just a few things:

1. Explosion. Rashaan is a very explosive player. Watch his tape...that particular trait stands out.
2. Block shedding and sifting through traffic. Rashaan has proven to be adept at both whereas LVE struggles in these areas.

The Cowboys need a Middle Linebacker and to me those traits are the most important. If LVE doesn't have them now, there's no guarantee he ever will. And if he doesn't fix that, he will absolutely be a bust.

Just my two cents...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I tend to lean upon agreeing with @jday .
He writes posts that should be collected into a giant, coffee table book.

I wouldn't use his avi for the cover though.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I agree with you on this. I like Evans more than LVE but in a trade down if possible. I was all for Bobby Carpenter getting drafted and glad he was. I was wrong (no one tell my wife that though, lol) so maybe I am little gun shy about drafting LVE. I keep on going back to saying , "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

jday

Reaction score
I agree with you on this. I like Evans more than LVE but in a trade down if possible. I was all for Bobby Carpenter getting drafted and glad he was. I was wrong (no one tell my wife that though, lol) so maybe I am little gun shy about drafting LVE. I keep on going back to saying , "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Exactly. Not to say I was high on Bobby Carpenter but I was on the Tuna and thought if he's got his seal of approval he must be great. Fool me.

I, too, would like to see a trade down materialize and still get Evans, as well, however as a fanbase we really need to remove the word "reach" from our vocabulary in most cases. The only way you should ever call a player a reach is if you are certain he'd be there for your next pick. If not, sometimes you just gotta take him...even if it's a bit higher than what you like.

jday

Reaction score
I tend to lean upon agreeing with @jday .
He writes posts that should be collected into a giant, coffee table book.

I wouldn't use his avi for the cover though.
I appreciate the vote of confidence good sir! :thumbup:

Bigdog

Reaction score
Exactly. Not to say I was high on Bobby Carpenter but I was on the Tuna and thought if he's got his seal of approval he must be great. Fool me.

I, too, would like to see a trade down materialize and still get Evans, as well, however as a fanbase we really need to remove the word "reach" from our vocabulary in most cases. The only way you should ever call a player a reach is if you are certain he'd be there for your next pick. If not, sometimes you just gotta take him...even if it's a bit higher than what you like.
Well I can't say I wasn't high on Barbie because I was very high on him even without Tuna's approval. I don't tend to know much about football like a lot on this board and I think I would have been fired after I wrote an extensive post on why we should pick him. I would love to get Edmunds or RSmith but we all know they aren't dropping to 19. Actually, I would love to have Nelson, Edmunds, RSmith, James, or Vea (in that order) but all of them will be pick before we are on the board.

jday

Reaction score
Well I can't say I wasn't high on Barbie because I was very high on him even without Tuna's approval. I don't tend to know much about football like a lot on this board and I think I would have been fired after I wrote an extensive post on why we should pick him. I would love to get Edmunds or RSmith but we all know they aren't dropping to 19. Actually, I would love to have Nelson, Edmunds, RSmith, James, or Vea (in that order) but all of them will be pick before we are on the board.
Yep...I've already dismissed those top 5. For me, it's between Rashaan Evans and Will Hernandez of players that should be there. Granted, many would say we reached, but if a trade down doesn't materialize, we may have to take them there, because they won't be there at 50. There are some receivers I really like, but not in the first round.

conner01

Reaction score
Evans to me is the 3rd best LB
LVE is 4th
LVE May have a higher ceiling but more chance of bust
Evans may not have as high a ceiling but less risk
I'd be OK with either Evans or Vander Esch. One would be good for now, the other could be even better for the future.
evans is a better player today
LVE has potential to be better down the road
Do you take the sure thing or the gamble that could pay off more
Tough call
Me, I’m taking the sure thing but I could see the gamble being worth the risk

conner01

Reaction score
Yep...I've already dismissed those top 5. For me, it's between Rashaan Evans and Will Hernandez of players that should be there. Granted, many would say we reached, but if a trade down doesn't materialize, we may have to take them there, because they won't be there at 50. There are some receivers I really like, but not in the first round.
That would be a tough one
Like both
Both could start day one
Don’t think you could go wrong with either
But I would lean toward the LB just because the draft off later in the draft appears to be higher at LB than guard

jday

Reaction score
Evans to me is the 3rd best LB
LVE is 4th
LVE May have a higher ceiling but more chance of bust
Evans may not have as high a ceiling but less risk

evans is a better player today
LVE has potential to be better down the road
Do you take the sure thing or the gamble that could pay off more
Tough call
Me, I’m taking the sure thing but I could see the gamble being worth the risk
Well said. :thumbup: