Cowboys mock - one day out

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
For this final mock, I tried to think of the selections and moves the Cowboys would make, and not what I would do or want them to do.

1(24) Jackson Powers-Johnson C (6-3/328) Oregon
2023 PFF Grades: 84.5 OFF, 90.6 PBLK, 85.6 RBLK
RAS (Relative Athletic Score): Not Available
The Beast rankings: 23rd overall, 2nd Center
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “A multi-sport athlete growing up, Powers-Johnson plays light on his feet in pass protection and as a run blocker, with the natural movement skills and stability at contact to torque and fend off defenders. With his contact balance and composure, he rarely appears overwhelmed on tape, although the defensive line play in the NFL is a giant leap ahead of what he saw in the Pac -12.”

Jackson Powers-Johnson - Football - University of Oregon Athletics (goducks.com)

The Cowboys miss out on the Tackle run, as well as Graham Barton. Any attempts to trade down are met with no real interest and/or lowball offers. The Cowboys have shown they are not scared off by medical red flags and feel Powers-Johnson is a Day One and Ten-Year starter at Center.

Jackson-Powers-Johnson.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
2(56) Jonathon Brooks RB (6-0/216) Texas
2023 PFF Grades: 91.5 OFF, 91.9 RUN, 76.0 RECV, 77.0 PBLK, 64.2 RBLK
RAS: Not Available
The Beast rankings: 48th overall, 1st Running Back
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Overall, Brooks is a springy, balanced athlete with a feel for lane development and the elusive traits to create his own yardage, both at the line of scrimmage and on the second level.”

Jonathon Brooks - Football - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

Of course they take Brooks here. They’ve had a questionable and publicly criticized off-season and Brooks will be their version of a “home run” addition. The Cowboys surgeon performed the surgery and Jerry’s grandson Paxton Anderson, a WR for the Longhorns, is Brooks’ teammate. The good news is he is generally considered the best Running Back in this draft. The bad news is that he suffered an ACL injury in November so he may not be ready until midseason.

dm_240330_Jonathon_Brooks_Draft_Reek.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
3(87) Trevin Wallace LB (6-1/237) Kentucky

2023 PFF Grades: 61.1 DEF, 61.4 RDEF, 64.3 PRUSH, 58.6 COV
RAS: 9.33
The Beast rankings: 3rd Linebacker
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Good-looking athlete with solid mass … quick to unlock his hips and reach top speed quickly, helping him make stops at either sideline … twitch in his strides helps him make up lost ground in a hurry … smooth body movements, with the foot quickness to slip through gaps or stay ahead of blocks … physical run filler to step down and bang with linemen 100 pounds heavier than him.”

Trevin Wallace – UK Athletics

Will McClay special. High-traits athlete and fits a need at Linebacker. He was #11 on Bruce Feldman’s Freak List…” but still runs 22 MPH on the GPS and vertical-jumps 38.5 inches. His power clean is now up to 380 and he squats almost 600.” Wallace recently turned 21.

sox4tlsd7zedfa8flm5o.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Cowboys trade their 5th (174th), 6th (216th), and a 2025 6th round pick to the LA Rams for their 5th (155th)

5(155) Giovanni Manu T (6-7,352) British Columbia

PFF Grades: Not Available
The Beast rankings: 31st Offensive Tackle
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Werner “Giovanni” Manu was born in Tonga before moving to Canada at age 11. He was a natural at basketball, then started playing football when he attended Pitt Meadows Secondary in 2013. Between his freshman and sophomore years in high school, he grew five inches and put on almost 80 pounds. He continued to play basketball (averaged more than 30 points per game as a senior) but was recruited for football. He enrolled at the University of British Columbia and earned the starting left tackle job as a freshman. He was a four-year starter for the Thunderbirds, also seeing time at guard.”

Giovanni Manu - Football - University of British Columbia Athletics (gothunderbirds.ca)

The Jones are itching to make a deal and after being shut out the first two days of the draft, they find a willing partner in the Rams. They have never cared about perceived reaches, and they pull the trigger on the extremely raw Manu. They were very early on him, but teams caught on, so the Jones feel they have to jump up in the 5th round to get him.

20230909_ubc_fball_v_calgary_hr_027_crop.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Cowboys trade a 2025 5th round pick to Minnesota for their 6th (177th)

6(177) Jowon Briggs DT (6-2/313) Cincinnati

2023 PFF Grades: 65.8 DEF, 66.2 RDEF, 61.8 PRUSH
RAS: 7.09 (9.86 for Bench)
The Beast rankings: 23rd Defensive Tackle
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “A member of Bruce Feldman’s “Freaks List,” Briggs is compactly built with very dense muscle and terrific strength. With his initial step and active, heavy hands, he should appeal to multiple schemes.”

Jowon Briggs - Football - University of Cincinnati Athletics (gobearcats.com)

They are shocked Briggs is still available as the 5th round concludes so they send a pick from next year to get the first pick in the 6th round. Briggs is exactly the player Stephen Jones constantly talks about, “a 1Tech with 3Tech qualities.” Number 78 on Feldman’s Freak List: “Briggs is super strong. He squatted 700 pounds in high school and this offseason he deadlifted 655 and did 31 reps on the bench press at 225. He also has hit 18.6 MPH and clocked 4.89 in the pro shuttle.” He recently put up 42 reps on the bench press at The Star during the Big 12 Pro Day.

xbdjgbolbrj7urhhkz04.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
7(233) Myles Cole Edge (6-6/278) Texas Tech
2023 PFF Grades: 64.9 DEF, 59.5 RDEF, 63.1 PRUSH
RAS: 9.93
The Beast rankings: 24th Edge
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Exceptional frame and rare length (longest arms and wingspan at the Senior Bowl) … can pack on or shed weight and mold his body type … gets rolling downhill (clocked at 20.3 mph in practice) and uses his length and physicality to force his way through contact.”

https://texastech.com/sports/football/roster/myles-cole/12475

Another high-traits player (9.93 RAS, 35th on Freaks List) and another player the Cowboys are surprised is available this late in the draft. Has really good size to go with all of that athleticism, but he’s older (turns 24 two days after the draft) and you have to wonder why he didn’t produce more. Needs a lot of refinement but a low-risk, high-reward player at pick 233.

bs5hb6r6wp0vylkyfta1.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
7(244) Darius Muasau (6-0/225) UCLA
2023 PFF Grades: 81.7 DEF, 74.3 RDEF, 72.8 PRUSH, 85.7 COV
RAS: 5.65
The Beast rankings: 16th Linebacker
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Muasau might not be elite in any one area, but he is a well-rounded linebacker with the play recognition and tackling skills that will translate to any level.”

Darius Muasau - Football - UCLA (uclabruins.com)

Outside of Payton Wilson, Muasau may be the most instinctive Linebacker in this draft. He was a leader on defense for the Bruins and stood out all week at The Shrine Bowl practices at The Star. He’ll remind Mike Zimmer of current Cowboy (and fellow Bruin) Erik Kendricks.

uog56yaq8vzbfoohzfre.jpg

VACowboy

Reaction score
7(244) Darius Muasau (6-0/225) UCLA
2023 PFF Grades: 81.7 DEF, 74.3 RDEF, 72.8 PRUSH, 85.7 COV
RAS: 5.65
The Beast rankings: 16th Linebacker
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Muasau might not be elite in any one area, but he is a well-rounded linebacker with the play recognition and tackling skills that will translate to any level.”

Darius Muasau - Football - UCLA (uclabruins.com)

Outside of Payton Wilson, Muasau may be the most instinctive Linebacker in this draft. He was a leader on defense for the Bruins and stood out all week at The Shrine Bowl practices at The Star. He’ll remind Mike Zimmer of current Cowboy (and fellow Bruin) Erik Kendricks.

uog56yaq8vzbfoohzfre.jpg
That's not exactly how I'd do it but I think that's how the Cowboys think and how things may unfold. I love JPJ. I heard Voch and Will Steele talking today how he had been "cleared" of his medical concerns. Broaddus mentioned something similar, having talked to a couple of teams who say the medical stuff isn't an issue and the League views JPJ as a borderline top-20 pick.I do not want any player coming off a November ACL in the 2nd round.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I probably would take a DT or WR with your first LB pick or a WR or second RB with your second one. We need DT help right now more than LB help IMO, and a second RB would help us competitionwise if Brooks is slow coming off his injury. Otherwise, I could live with this haul. JPJ is one of my favorites and I think Brooks is going to be worth the wait (if there is one). I also like the risk on Manu. I understand the Wallace selection. If Sweat or DeWayne Carter is available with our third-rounder, that's the direction I'd go. Don't have a problem taking Briggs too because we need the depth.

Aven8

Reaction score
I wouldn’t hate it. I think Cole is going to be a monster in the NFL. He played out of position but the dude is huge.

RS12

Reaction score
Cowboys trade their 5th (174th), 6th (216th), and a 2025 6th round pick to the LA Rams for their 5th (155th)

5(155) Giovanni Manu T (6-7,352) British Columbia

PFF Grades: Not Available
The Beast rankings: 31st Offensive Tackle
Blurb from Dane Brugler: “Werner “Giovanni” Manu was born in Tonga before moving to Canada at age 11. He was a natural at basketball, then started playing football when he attended Pitt Meadows Secondary in 2013. Between his freshman and sophomore years in high school, he grew five inches and put on almost 80 pounds. He continued to play basketball (averaged more than 30 points per game as a senior) but was recruited for football. He enrolled at the University of British Columbia and earned the starting left tackle job as a freshman. He was a four-year starter for the Thunderbirds, also seeing time at guard.”

Giovanni Manu - Football - University of British Columbia Athletics (gothunderbirds.ca)

The Jones are itching to make a deal and after being shut out the first two days of the draft, they find a willing partner in the Rams. They have never cared about perceived reaches, and they pull the trigger on the extremely raw Manu. They were very early on him, but teams caught on, so the Jones feel they have to jump up in the 5th round to get him.

20230909_ubc_fball_v_calgary_hr_027_crop.jpg
Never saw anybody carry 350 pounds so effortlessly.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
For good or ill, time is about to run out. Draft starts tomorrow, Jerry is running out of time:

reddyuta

Reaction score
too much risk for me,we cannot afford such risk with the terrible offseason we had.

Carter

Reaction score
I like it but i would draft another WR in the 5th or 6th. The class is deep. There is going to be talent there and we still have no proven #3 and Cooks isnt getting younger. One injury to Lamb or Cooks and this Receiving corps is one of the worst in the NFL for a team that almost solely lives off a passing game with a completely new and unproven RB room