Cowboys mock -Trade down pick up a surprise QB

SBWinner

Reaction score
First thread post here, please be nice :p

I traded the first down a few spots to pick up an extra second, here is what I got. This is my "Dak will be traded/not resigned at some point, we are rebuilding with young talent and riding with a new QB" version of the draft, just for fun and giggles.

29. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon

Leonard Taylor III DT Miami (FL)

Michael Penix Jr. QB Washington

Roger Rosengarten OT Washington

JPJ is a nasty center with an arrogant attitude, the type of guy that pisses you off if you are the opposition. I want that guy in the middle of my line, battling the DTs in our division. Lucky he fell to this pick.

Taylor has athleticism to play 3T but enough size to stand up against the run, and fits the Zimmer mold better. We can move Osa to SDE and back him up with Golston. Trade DLaw for picks, make it work regardless of cap hit.

Penix falls to 61 and I think that is solid value. He is not Mahomes in that he does not throw well off platform and isn't particularly creative, but he is very solid with a good pocket. Can fit ball in windows and hit receivers in stride. Perhaps the polar opposite of Dak who throws better on the run. Pair Penix with Lance in 2025 and see what happens.

Rosengarten is a very solid player, smart with good athleticism, whom many are overlooking in this draft. Could be a Doug Free type and start multiple years at T, allowing us to move Steele inside to LG. Move Tulsa out to LT, and you have a very good line that minimizes many weaknesses each player has. Personally, I think Tulsa will be a very good LT and nobody else currently on the team, or available to us at 24, will be better than him at LT for us the next few years. LT is a money position where you put your best line player and worry about filling out the rest of the spots.

This is going to be a like it or hate it type of draft. If you want to roll with Dak then you will hate it. If you want to move on from him, it's not a bad start. You can sign Micah and CD and build a young team around those stars and see what happens.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Do not like Leonard Taylor at all.
Taylor is a name I haven't heard on here in a while, and I hope I don't hear next week. He's just not an NFL-caliber defensive linemen. Physically, he may have some of the measurables of an average defensive linemen, but a lot of UDFAs have those too.

BadLieutenant

Reaction score
First thread post here, please be nice :p

I traded the first down a few spots to pick up an extra second, here is what I got. This is my "Dak will be traded/not resigned at some point, we are rebuilding with young talent and riding with a new QB" version of the draft, just for fun and giggles.

29. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon

Leonard Taylor III DT Miami (FL)

Michael Penix Jr. QB Washington

Roger Rosengarten OT Washington

JPJ is a nasty center with an arrogant attitude, the type of guy that pisses you off if you are the opposition. I want that guy in the middle of my line, battling the DTs in our division. Lucky he fell to this pick.

Taylor has athleticism to play 3T but enough size to stand up against the run, and fits the Zimmer mold better. We can move Osa to SDE and back him up with Golston. Trade DLaw for picks, make it work regardless of cap hit.

Penix falls to 61 and I think that is solid value. He is not Mahomes in that he does not throw well off platform and isn't particularly creative, but he is very solid with a good pocket. Can fit ball in windows and hit receivers in stride. Perhaps the polar opposite of Dak who throws better on the run. Pair Penix with Lance in 2025 and see what happens.

Rosengarten is a very solid player, smart with good athleticism, whom many are overlooking in this draft. Could be a Doug Free type and start multiple years at T, allowing us to move Steele inside to LG. Move Tulsa out to LT, and you have a very good line that minimizes many weaknesses each player has. Personally, I think Tulsa will be a very good LT and nobody else currently on the team, or available to us at 24, will be better than him at LT for us the next few years. LT is a money position where you put your best line player and worry about filling out the rest of the spots.

This is going to be a like it or hate it type of draft. If you want to roll with Dak then you will hate it. If you want to move on from him, it's not a bad start. You can sign Micah and CD and build a young team around those stars and see what happens.
I'm all for it