Cowboys Nation Mock 9.0 Meat and Potatoes

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.cowboyszone.com/2011/03/cowboys-nation-mock-90-meat-and.html

Cowboys Nation Mock 9.0: Meat and Potatoes
Posted by Rafael at Thursday, March 24, 2011
This week, with talk of tiers and preparedness, I'm going to try a twist on a familiar approach. I've worked out mocks where the Cowboys traded down. This week, I'm going to riff off a prior trade down, with a specific purpose -- can I obtain three players in the initial rounds who can make significant contributions as rookies? With that in mind, who would be the most likely dance partners? We've zeroed in on three, the Rams (14th) the Patriots (17th) and the Chargers (18th). What types of deals could the Cowboys swing from each?

In the Rams case, a deal down would likely produce an extra 3rd rounder. The Patriots, with their multiple picks, could get Dallas the biggest bounty, if the deal was multi-pick: rather than 9-for-17. Dallas could deal its first two picks, the 9 and the 40, for three Patriots selections, the 17th, the 28th (which New England is reportedly shopping) and the 74th pick, obtained from Minnesota. That would give Dallas two 1sts and two very early 3rds, but a long wait between picks 28 and 71. Now, the Cowboys may favor this initially, since the two 3rds or a 3rd and a 4th would let Dallas deal back into the 2nd for a player they liked, but we're moving into Rube Goldberg territory here. Maybe that will be the basis for next week's mock. We can call it "The Jerry Jones 'My-SportsCenter-Fantasy-Goes-Like-This Draft.'"

This week, I'm working with the Chargers, who have the means -- two 2nds and two 3rds -- the motive and the history of making big moves up. In this case, I'm flipping the 9th for the 18th and pocketing the 50th overall in exchange. This gives Dallas three picks in the top 50, four in the top 71 and five in the top 105.

rash

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind the trade with SD at all; especially if the scouts don't see much difference between Tyron and the next guy

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I do like how Sherrod plays LT better than Carimi as well and Rafael is right about the Iowa game.

But I like Carimi's versatility better than Sherrods and we need a RT anyways, not a LT.

I don't like this approach in the draft at all though.

I want BPA at 9 because a superior player will be there.

I also think we can net a Carimi or Sherrod in the late 1sy to early 2nd and we can use that pick.

Use our 4th, 5th and 6th rounders to move up the 2nd or 3rd rounders and there's no reason to believe we can't get 2-3 immediate starters out of this draft.