Cowboys news: Marist Liufau, Marshawn Kneeland could be Day 1 contributors in Mike Zimmer's defense

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The latest Dallas Cowboys preseason news
By Sean Martin Aug 20, 2024

Marist Liufau building rookie confidence in preseason - Nick Harris, DallasCowboys.com
It’s still early, but many of the Cowboys latest draft picks look to be in positions to help this team early in the season, including Notre Dame linebacker Marist Liufau.
Through two preseason games, Liufau has been trusted in early game situations including a start against the Raiders that saw him play one drive and make plays in coverage, against the run and on a blitz package on the quarterback. “I would say that I’m versatile in that aspect of the game,” Liufau said. “That’s a strength I offer as a linebacker and as a player, so I play to my strengths and do whatever the coaches ask me to do.”
Second-round pick Marshawn Kneeland is yet another rookie that’s quickly adjusting to game speed in the NFL.
Kneeland’s Ready to Go

Since the draft, a lot of attention has been paid to Dallas’ new offensive linemen Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe. But the guy drafted between them, DE Marshawn Kneeland, is having himself a preseason. On a night when All-Pro Maxx Crosby should’ve looked like a man among boys, it was Kneeland who terrorized his blockers and looks ready to be a key rotation piece for the Cowboys in the regular season. With Sam Williams out for the year and a huge question mark still hovering over veteran signing Carl Lawson, the Cowboys need Kneeland to deliver early. Thankfully, his work so far this preseason indicates he’s ahead of schedule and should be a solid rookie contributor.
More: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...defense?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

starfan1

Reaction score
I think for us to be successful they are going to need to be immediate contributors.

gtb1943

Reaction score
ALL our rookies need to contribute this year. Especially on the OL, DL, and at LB
Overshawn is a rookie in most ways

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'd be pretty surprised if we saw Liufau as much more than a ST player this year.

He's fun to watch because he plays like a missile, but that doesn't necessarily translate to making plays in the NFL, nor does it translate to consistency. I assume that right now he's the #4 LB on the depth chart. Yes, he played early snaps against the Raiders, but Clark, Overshown and Kendricks were all scratched lol

Kneeland, however, is going to play a LOT .

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
ML was a steal and Kneeland may be as well. Kneeland looks like a veteran out there so far…..and ML reminds me of Polamalu a lot and it’s not just the hair.

shabazz

Reaction score
I forsee growing pains for the inexperienced Overshown and Liufau.

The LB corp will be learning and surviving.....not an area of strength

That's IF they can stay healthy