Cowboys' offensive line already accounts for almost 25% of '24 salary cap

Hardline

Reaction score
Budgeting for the offensive line is not an easy task as this group, whose numbers normally hover around 10 every season, can consume a large portion of a team’s salary cap. Even when only one player is paid top dollar, the amount of money spent on linemen can be a burden based on sheer numbers. With so many teams across the league scrambling for viable options, Dallas has assembled a cast of young hopefuls that could provide depth for the next few years.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...-ol-salaries-cap-hits/?itm_source=parsely-api

1942willys

Reaction score
I love Zach. But that crap he pulled last year pissed me off. Doesn't he account for $28M this year???

Considering Tyler and BD are on their rookie contracts that tells me deals of Tyron, Zach and Steele need looked at.
I did not like it but understood it. I think he is one of the players that really understands the likelihood of us winning it all is slim and knows exactly why

sbark

Reaction score
Might be another major reason to draft OL early and often.
A reason we desperately need the likes of Bass, Hoffman, Richards, Waletzgo to develop & contribute .....Steele to rebound.

Impossible salary cap wise to stuff the O.line full of high piks

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Budgeting for the offensive line is not an easy task as this group, whose numbers normally hover around 10 every season, can consume a large portion of a team’s salary cap. Even when only one player is paid top dollar, the amount of money spent on linemen can be a burden based on sheer numbers. With so many teams across the league scrambling for viable options, Dallas has assembled a cast of young hopefuls that could provide depth for the next few years.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...-ol-salaries-cap-hits/?itm_source=parsely-api
One of the problems is that we put our best at guard and then pay a ton for them. Martin has been a Hall-of-Fame guard, absolutely, but he also would have been a Hall-of-Fame RT. Tyler Smith might be a future Hall-of-Fame LG, but I also think he would be, at the very least, a consistent Pro Bowl LT.

Guess what spot is more important for a team's ability to win?

I am not going to pretend that I am a pro Oline coach, but I coached A LOT of high school offensive lines and the order of importance for me went - LT, then C, then RT, then Gs. You need to have LT set with a stud, we had that for ten years, and we can do it for ten more if we are smart and move Tyler out and let Tyrone go. Tyler is going to get a BIG payday from us soon, might as well make it for LT. Center doesn't have to be a pro bowler, but he has to be smart and strong. I feel like you can get by being just solid at Guard. You don't want a hole anywhere in your Oline, but if your guards are pretty good, you can still have a very good OL.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t enough to know exactly WHY, but definitely know enough to know that they sucked as a unit, and injuries and lack of continuity can’t be used as an excuse.

Between the OL, DL and LB issues, it may be more than a one off season fix, and that’s if everything goes right….by that time more problems have arisen. Didn’t even mention RB.

Anyone else see the problem with draft only fixes?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have no fears there is NO cap in the NFL!!!! :muttley:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Save some money:
LT - Tyler Smith
LG - TJ Bass
OC - Hoffman or TBD
RG - Zack Martin
RT - Terrance Steele

Imho, this would be a pretty good OL with the Cowboys already have. It would be nice if Waletzko or Richards developed at OT.

75boyz

Reaction score
They pass protected fine. Their runblocking sucked.
Steele's run blocking and overall performance nosedived compared to his '22 season and I dont think it was all because of his injury lingering.

Solari sucks.