Cowboys offensive tackle roster review: Tyron Smith's fate will determine a lot at the position

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really good article about the OT position. The very last line is "It may be the biggest roster decision of the entire offseason, one that Dallas will likely answer before free agency begins in March." I agree with that and am really anxious to see how this will all work out.

Cowboys offensive tackle roster review: Tyron Smith’s fate will determine a lot at the position​

Tyron Smith’s free agency hangs over the entire offensive line; a major variable in the Cowboys’ 2024 offseason.

By Jess Haynie Feb 16, 2024

The Dallas Cowboys enter the 2024 offseason with a glaring issue at offensive tackle. Tyron Smith’s contract is expiring and there’s no great option to replace him at left tackle. Dallas now has to weigh the balance of Smith’s age and injury history with their other options, plus the fact that the veteran is still one of the league’s top tackles when he plays.

Smith is the team’s eldest statesman, at least in Cowboys years. He was the first draft pick of the Jason Garrett era in 2011 and was an immediate starter. He’s been to eight Pro Bowls and was named a first- or second-team All-Pro five times, including last season for the first time since 2016.

Much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...tyron-smith-free-agent-retirement-chuma-edoga

1941330502.0.jpg

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Despite his injury issues I’d retain him. There aren’t a lot of other options out there outside of the draft and with where we pick I don’t see any sure bets there. I’d probably keep him, continue to limit his out of game action which seemed to help some this year and draft yet another project with a later pick in hopes of hitting on that down the road.

Kwyn

Reaction score
People can ***** about availability but this dude is one of the best in the game when he's out there and there's no denying it on any level.
Straight up pro.

When’s the last time anyone heard him make a peep?

Zack, the Zone’s “golden child”, held out and talked about how he was just chilling and enjoying the off season, all the while the team was in training camp,

Then he got paid

Meanwhile, Tyron accepted a fair offer, which had bonuses included based on playtime, and turned in an all-pro season.

He missed one more game than the Zones other pet cat, Tyler Smith.

And he played better than either of them.

A couple of years ago I was frustrated by his injuries, but by God, he has hunkered down and been a badass.

Team should make him a fair offer. Whatever he gets and whatever the team gets out of him, will be the way it should be.

Eddie

Reaction score
What's the freakin' difference? Jerry Jones is still in charge.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on what Jerry does with re-signings and our cap situation.
Still one of the best LTs in the game.
This team will soon realize it's pretty much in shambles and an 81-year-old oil man is not qualified to get the job done.
If I was LT I would leave and go to a team like the Jets where his odds of winning a ring are much greater.
Only rebuild and pain down in Big D for the next years ahead.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Straight up pro.

When’s the last time anyone heard him make a peep?

Zack, the Zone’s “golden child”, held out and talked about how he was just chilling and enjoying the off season, all the while the team was in training camp,

Then he got paid

Meanwhile, Tyron accepted a fair offer, which had bonuses included based on playtime, and turned in an all-pro season.

He missed one more game than the Zones other pet cat, Tyler Smith.

And he played better than either of them.

A couple of years ago I was frustrated by his injuries, but by God, he has hunkered down and been a badass.

Team should make him a fair offer. Whatever he gets and whatever the team gets out of him, will be the way it should be.
I get that it's frustrating to fans when he isn't out there but they need to step back and consider WHY it's frustrating. It's because he is so damn good that when he is missing it's such a massive hit to the line. And if you can get him on a contract similar to what he's been on, you'd be an absolute imbecile not to sign him

Kwyn

Reaction score
I get that it's frustrating to fans when he isn't out there but they need to step back and consider WHY it's frustrating. It's because he is so damn good that when he is missing it's such a massive hit to the line.
This is a really nice bit of insight and I agree completely.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I get that it's frustrating to fans when he isn't out there but they need to step back and consider WHY it's frustrating. It's because he is so damn good that when he is missing it's such a massive hit to the line. And if you can get him on a contract similar to what he's been on, you'd be an absolute imbecile not to sign him
In 26 days free agency begins. If Jerry has not come to terms with him by then it can only be because he’s looking at what alternatives are available, or because Jerry is an “absolute imbecile”.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
People can ***** about availability but this dude is one of the best in the game when he's out there and there's no denying it on any level.
If I were him, I'd try to go elsewhere and win a ring, like Ware did. Of course, Ware left because the team didn't want him, but I wouldn't blame any of these guys who made their money here for seeking a shot at a Super Bowl. Does Kansas City need a left tackle?

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Giants opposite Andrew Thomas are a mess at OT . I could see that team go all in to bring Smith in for one yr..

RonWashington

Reaction score
Smith is important to bring back but equally important is valuable DB Stephon Gilmore . Diggs coming off a serious injury then you have Bland then it’s panic time . When the Cowboys brought in a bench CB to fill in it was Nashon Wright . Yes I want Smith & Gilmore back.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
In 26 days free agency begins. If Jerry has not come to terms with him by then it can only be because he’s looking at what alternatives are available, or because Jerry is an “absolute imbecile”.
Our cap is negative 21 million.