Cowboys Players being Position Coaches?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking at some of our former players on this team, maybe even current players on this team when they retire, would you ever like to see them be a position coach on this team? I would love if Emmitt or Mike came back to be coaches, but we know that's not in them. More recently, a guy that comes to mind would be Sean Lee, the way he loved the game, and his preparation was 2nd to none!! What about Tyron Smith when he retires coming back if anything teaching guys how to get stronger in the weight room. We remember Smith being this young kid from USC who know is one of the strongest men in the league!

Please give your thoughts on what player you would like to see be a position coach for this team, current or past player!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking at some of our former players on this team, maybe even current players on this team when they retire, would you ever like to see them be a position coach on this team? I would love if Emmitt or Mike came back to be coaches, but we know that's not in them. More recently, a guy that comes to mind would be Sean Lee, the way he loved the game, and his preparation was 2nd to none!! What about Tyron Smith when he retires coming back if anything teaching guys how to get stronger in the weight room. We remember Smith being this young kid from USC who know is one of the strongest men in the league!

Please give your thoughts on what player you would like to see be a position coach for this team, current or past player!
:facepalm:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rarely is the best player on the field the same guy you want coaching your players. The best coaches are typically the same players that fans hated, or the guys who never even made it to the league.
Kind of like the worst players in history on the field who go on to be media people and talk bad about all the good people!! lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would hire Sean Lee as LB coach. He was always studying film. I still remember seeing that clip of him in the film room at the end of the season when all the other players went home!! At least we know he is dedicated!!
that's exactly what i'm talking about!!

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would hire Sean Lee as LB coach. He was always studying film. I still remember seeing that clip of him in the film room at the end of the season when all the other players went home!! At least we know he is dedicated!!
I thought Sean Lee would take a season or two off then come coach our linebackers. I think he would be great at it. He studied the game and was a master at knowing what was up. Sean Lee where have thou gone?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not every player can coach. Don't know if Tyron can or not, kinda a quiet guy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A great player does not necessarily make a great coach. Same for some average or not so great players, can go on and be a very good coach.

The very bad ones go on to be Rowdy or another teams mascot.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
He's just camping now.

Can we send up one of the high school guys on here to the team?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Rarely is the best player on the field the same guy you want coaching your players. The best coaches are typically the same players that fans hated, or the guys who never even made it to the league.
Doug Pederson told the Philly media once, "I remember when you guys booed me off the field because you wanted Donovan McNabb. You threw batteries at me. Big D-cell ones."

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Jerry is criticized for making "comfortable" hires, but this is a whole different level. Just because they were good players, doesn't mean they will be good coaches. Most of these players, especially former star players, don't want to become coaches. Keeping the same people in the building will only feed into the country club culture.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
What I do not understand is how our players are always so talented but they fail because of poor coaching. Then they retire and somehow they are great candidates to be coaches. Do you see what I am saying here? This is crazy right?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A great player does not necessarily make a great coach. Same for some average or not so great players, can go on and be a very good coach.

The very bad ones go on to be Rowdy or another teams mascot.
This ....

Often the best coaches are those that didn't have great talent in their playing days. Guys like that couldn't just rely on talent to get by and had to learn every detail and nuance of the position, and how to use every maneuver, strategy, trick etc just to have a chance to play at whatever level they got to.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Best coaches are not typically super star players. You can't teach someone how to be an extremely gifted athlete. Usually the hard working over achievers become the best coaches. They know how to get the best out of players, because they went through it.