News: Cowboys Podcast - Can Cowboys be $50 Million under Salary Cap?

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...st-can-dallas-be-50-million-under-salary-cap/

If you want to have a valid idea of how far the current cap can expand, and how that could happen...listen.

This explains parameters that have been used recently, why, and how general and specific needs can be met this off season under current cap potentials.

One can gain insight into how and why Dallas is approaching the NFL business year for 2016 in the manner that it chooses. Then some of the why's as well.

Can Dallas afford a top shelf defensive end this year...yes.

This is one of the very best tapes that I have listened to about the Cowboys' Cap...it is instructive and you will appreciate listening to the whole thing.

LittleD

Reaction score
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...st-can-dallas-be-50-million-under-salary-cap/

If you want to have a valid idea of how far the current cap can expand, and how that could happen...listen.

This explains parameters that have been used recently, why, and how general and specific needs can be met this off season under current cap potentials.

One can gain insight into how and why Dallas is approaching the NFL business year for 2016 in the manner that it chooses. Then some of the why's as well.

Can Dallas afford a top shelf defensive end this year...yes.

This is one of the very best tapes that I have listened to about the Cowboys' Cap...it is instructive and you will appreciate listening to the whole thing.

Thanks so much for all the fine contributions to our board. Great work and insightful observations my friend!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the fine contributions to our board. Great work and insightful observations my friend!!!

Sharing some old fashioned fun with another fan is reward enough for this fan...lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The answer to the question is yes. The OTHER question is - why? Do we NEED $50M in cap space? For what?

The podcast showed the potential and real flexability...and the why would be for an immediate level of play in veterans on the carpet.

Potentially, Stephen could pay off some of the 'future' on contracts for the likes of Tony Romo and Jason Witten as well...

but a target of some funds could include one for the likes of a DE Mario Williams, S Eric Weddle, and QB Colt McCoy...and add in MLB Rolando McClain, Jack Crawford, and possibly CB Morris Claiborne.

Weddle would allow Jones to move over to CB as well. Now Church is a question mark, as he occupies a $4+ Million contract for this season...and a determination on keep/not keep has to be made.
He is a current leader, functionally a duplicate copy of his talents are already on the roster in Wilcox. And a lot cheaper...some of the why's.

Qbert

Reaction score
The answer to the question is yes. The OTHER question is - why? Do we NEED $50M in cap space? For what?

Mario Williams, Lamar Miller, janoris Jenkins, Eric weddle, jpp, obviously

Daillest88

Reaction score
Mario Williams, Lamar Miller, janoris Jenkins, Eric weddle, jpp, obviously

scatch janoris Jenkins off that list. he wants like 14 million.. no way.. all the others would be good signings

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'd rather us not do anything crazy in FA just because we have the space. Let's not get bogged down with pricey FA that will do nothing bug negatives to our cap for a few seasons, I'd rather keep the space to continue signing our homegrown players. A lot of money will be going into our offensive line in the future.

Having said that, I am not against signing one big FA. But reports are, we won't be doing that. What that cap space does tell us is this, we have enough money to add a lot of good depth and role players. I still hope we take a good look at the WR FA class, some really good players out there.

LittleD

Reaction score
I wonder if Dallas trys out a Forte or Foster to go with DMac

There are some well thought of RB's in this draft all the way to the 4th round. Why overpay an aging RB likely to decline or
get hurt when you can get a youngster at a 4 year discounted price?

lostar2009

Reaction score
Might not like it but we might be better off brining Hardy back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather us not do anything crazy in FA just because we have the space. Let's not get bogged down with pricey FA that will do nothing bug negatives to our cap for a few seasons, I'd rather keep the space to continue signing our homegrown players. A lot of money will be going into our offensive line in the future.

Agreed. I'd rather pay our own proven commodities rather than players other teams are willing to let go. I have some I'd like to sign, but not for some of that 'crazy money' that will be thrown around.

Having said that, I am not against signing one big FA. But reports are, we won't be doing that. What that cap space does tell us is this, we have enough money to add a lot of good depth and role players. I still hope we take a good look at the WR FA class, some really good players out there.

I like Rishard Matthews a lot. Do you have any favorites of your own?

rynochop

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't like all the drama and supposed locker room bull crap with him, but you probably do. Could see him going somewhere else with an offseason and full training camp and getting 15 plus sacks. Maybe he'd take a heavy incentive deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's what I've been saying too. Given the guy's warts, his salary demands could be significantly lower than a comparable free agent.

Other criticisms aside, would you rather Hardy and 6 sacks over 12 games for $8 million or Adrian Clayborn (who's name has been mentioned) with 3 sacks over 16 games for $4.5 million?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Agreed. I'd rather pay our own proven commodities rather than players other teams are willing to let go. I have some I'd like to sign, but not for some of that 'crazy money' that will be thrown around.

I like Rishard Matthews a lot. Do you have any favorites of your own?

I like Matthews as well, my pick is Kearse in Seattle. I can't think of another WR that has had as many clutch catches as he has, it's unbelievable. He'd be an instant upgrade to Williams and Beasley.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
they may, but we might still run into the same issue in that there are more than a few teams that have between 60-90 million to spend.

jax - 90
Oak - 70
Giants - 60

players go for money, not the chance for a SB. all those teams are either rising or just as competitive as the Cowboys. it's going to be a crazy FA period.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

I know right? We could just spend the money on wild women and whisky. Then just blow the rest of it in! Let's do this!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Matthews as well, my pick is Kearse in Seattle. I can't think of another WR that has had as many clutch catches as he has, it's unbelievable. He'd be an instant upgrade to Williams and Beasley.

Yeah, another very good option. And it sounds like neither guy has any intention of returning to their former teams either. I want that upgrade over Williams at #2 as well. I'm tired of the inconsistancy and the disappearing acts.