Cowboys quickly give Williams new deal

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...c-williamsextension101408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Cowboys quickly give Williams new deal

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – After acquiring WR Roy Williams from the Lions for three NFL draft picks, the Dallas Cowboys signed him through the 2013 season, owner Jerry Jones confirmed from the owners meetings.

“This year plus an additional five,” Jones said of the contract extension for Williams, acquired for a first-, third- and sixth-round pick in 2009.

Financial terms of Williams’ contract were undisclosed. In addition, the Cowboys will receive Detroit’s seventh-round pick next year.

For Jones, it was welcome news after a brutal past week in which cornerback Adam Jones has been suspended indefinitely for his role in an off-field fight last week, and quarterback Tony Romo, receiver Sam Hurd, corner Terence Newman, running back Felix Jones, punter Mat McBriar and outside linebacker Anthony Spencer have suffered injuries or had surgery.
Photo Williams’ lone TD grab this year came against Atlanta in the opener.
(AP Photo/Dave Martin)

“This is good news, finally,” said Jerry Jones, whose team will also receive a fifth-round draft pick from the Titans as a result of Adam Jones’ suspension. “This gives us another threat on the other side of Terrell (Owens). That’s something that (offensive coordinator) Jason Garrett and I talked about during the offseason, getting another big-time threat on the other side to go with (Owens) and (tight end) Jason Witten.”

During his first four years with Detroit, Williams averaged 61 receptions a season. The seventh overall pick in the ‘04 draft out of Texas, Williams was second on the team this year with 17 receptions.

Jerry Jones made no secret that he has been pursuing Williams for a long time.

“We’ve been talking to the Lions for two years about Roy, who is very familiar to us being from Texas,” Jones said. “I talked to them again just before the draft and at the most recent owners meetings and we finally were able to get something done.”

As for concerns about how Williams will coexist with the emotional Owens, Jones smiled.

“I called Terrell and he was ecstatic,” Jones revealed. “He was the first person I called after I talked to Roy. As soon as Terrell heard he said, ‘Give me Roy’s number, I have to call him,’ .”

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors;2340022 said:
We only have 1 football to go around -
Yeah, but we've had trouble getting it around lately. Maybe having another good weapon will open some things up.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2340032 said:
Yeah, but we've had trouble getting it around lately. Maybe having another good weapon will open some things up.

It most definitely will. No maybe about it.. The one ball to go around theory is backwards thinking.

Double T.O. now. I dare ya. :D

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nors;2340022 said:
We only have 1 football to go around -

You thought it was a great idea when your favorite team the Pats added another number 1 receiver in moss.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
Some good news today after all the negative stuff thats happened the last few days.... Go Roy Go welcome to Big D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score

Hello? We were scoring 30 points a game. Defense is killing team more than WR production.

Now we trade #1,#3,#6 and we add #11 we will score 40?

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score

Don't forget the OL has to block better to open things up for those weapons BMC:starspin

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;2340092 said:
Hello? We were scoring 30 points a game. Defense is killing team more than WR production.

Now we trade #1,#3,#6 and we add #11 we will score 40?

more than likely

yesfan

Reaction score
Good move Jerry.
I want to see that ecstatic look on Terrell's face as
Williams goes sprinting into the end zone.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
2007 Pats

Randy Moss - Wes Walker - Donte' Stallworth - Troy Brown

Nors loved that.

Now there is not enough balls to go around

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2340063 said:
It most definitely will. No maybe about it.. The one ball to go around theory is backwards thinking.

Double T.O. now. I dare ya. :D

Agreed.... TO's # of catches actually go up now.... and on the days they dont... they go up for everyone else.... RW, Witt, Barber, Felix, Crayton, Austin etc

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2340014 said:
I love T.O.'s reaction.

watch though big guy, ESPN will turn his happiness into being just about him and getting himself the ball, not that he is happy because the team will be better now