Cowboys starting squad as of NOW

Dallas22

Reaction score
Well, I think that the Cowboys will be a top team in the NFC and could very well make a REAL run not only to make the playoffs, but a REAL run at another Super Bowl trophy. Of course, team chemistry and the dreaded injury bug are big factors as well. As it stands though, here is what our team looks like and needs:

OFFENSE
=======
QB - Drew Bledsoe: With a good OL he will be accurate and dangerous, espcially with TO opening up our offensive options. We still need a veteran BACKUP here though.

RB - Julius Jones: He should improve from last season with an upgraded OL and TO on the field. Our backups (Marion & Thompson) will provide a very nice change of pace and give JJ some rest when needed. Only have 1 FB right now - Polite - so maybe we'll need a decent backup (if there is room on the 53-man roster), but Polite seemed to being doing a stand up job at FB last season.

WR - TO... I hated him, but now I must root for him. Hopefully he will keep his negativity to a minimum, but still keep his enthusiasm, hard work and of course SUPER talent going strong for us for at least 3 seasons... we shall see with this. Terry Glenn will still be the deep threat and make some important catches... he will flurish with TO in the lineup. Crayton, if he stays healthy, will be a nice 3rd WR and become better with TO there. We need to find a decent 4th WR. Basically in the WR area, TO helps and improves ALL the players here - actually, TO helps out entire offense in that he give Drew a big, talented target to through to, takes pressure off of the running game for JJ and company, and gives the other WRs/TEs some more opportunities in single coverage.

TE - Witten is a Pro Bowler and one of the best in the league. With TO there he'll continue to improve, probably having his BEST season in 2006. Our new FA signing (Hannam) will help with the run blocking aspect of our offense, especially in short yardage situations.

OL - Ok, this is the KEY to our offensive sucess. We need them ALL to be healthy. With Flozell and Fabini at Tackles, that should hopefully be more than enough to protect Drew and give him time. Our Centers will probably be the same combo as last season with Al Johnson & Andre Gurode, although it would be nice to see one of these guys take control at this position. The key factor is Larry Allen. We NEED to keep him. Hopefully he'll restructure and the Cowboys will keep him... he is STILL one of the BEST OG's in the NFL and he is worth keeping. If he stays, along with Marco Rivera at the other Guard spot, we should have an AWSOME and COMPLETE offensive line for '06. We would also have some good backups if any injuries should occur to our starting OL. If the Cowboys let Allen go, then we'll have to insert newly signed Kosier in Allen's OG spot. I would feel better using Kosier as a versitle backup at guard and tackle, along with young, versitle former starters Rob Petiti (OG) & Torrin Tucker (OT).

P - Mat McBriar is a very good Punter. I think that he shoud've been a Pro Bowler... stick with thsi guy!

K - MAJOR help needed here, obviously. Suisham is too young, not experienced and too inconsistant to go through what our Cowboy fans had to deal with last season... ARGH!!! HOPEFULLY we can sign a verteren and consistant kicker for 2006, like Viniteri or Vanderjet. PLEASE HELP!!!

DEFENSE
=======
NT - Jason Ferguson: He is the starter, case closed. But he will need to have a breather from a backup, yet to be determined.

DEs - Spears & Ellis: Seems for now that this will stay this way. Hopefully they can provide a better run stop and pass rush than last season. Ellis is going to be typical Ellis, a little above average... Spears will only continue to improve. Canty & Coleman will spell the starters and get a lot fo playing time.

LBs - DeMarcus Ware will control one of the OLB spots and just keep getting better... maybe a Pro Bowler in '06? Bradie James will play one of the ILB positions, but I don't think that he is ALL THAT right now. He will have to improve to really secure that spot for the entire season. Playing along side with James at ILB will be newly signed Akin Ayodele from J-Ville. He should provide a good run stopping force and hopefully be enough for us (along with James) in the middle. I feel a little shaky there, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. For the other OLB slot, it looks like the Cowboys are trying to jet Julius Peterson in FA... this should help out A LOT, especially if Singleton can't be 100% from his collerbone injury in 2005. If Singleton comes back and we get Peterson, that just sures up the LB spots. Also, Burnett will help us to spell the LBs, along with Scott Shanle. Signing Peterson is KEY, along with the play of James & Ayodele... the LB area could be weak, except for DeMarcus Ware.

CBs - We are pretty strong here. With Anthony Henry and Newman at the corners, and Aaron Glenn as our nickle CB and backup J Reeves, we SHOULD be more than fine.

Safties - SS Roy Williams... Pro Bowler, awsome hitter and run stopping helper. He has always been agressive, sometimes TOO aggresive, but that is his style of play.. we need to CBs to really come through and help out when Williams is agressive. On our other side, FS, we currently have Keith Davis, but he is an unrestricted FA and we could lose him. Not that he is that great of a player, so hopefully, the Cowboys can find a decent FS to compliment Willaims ASAP. This spot could be the MOST important to really complete out Defense (along with Peterson at OLB). I can only hope that the Cowboys will trade for or aquire a decent to good FS... PLEASE!

KR/PR - Crayton (WR), Thompson (RB), Newman (CB) and Copper (WR) should be good enough to provide some good special teams plays along with some good kick-punt returns. Just please DON'T FUMBLE!!!

COACH
======
Bill Parcells: The GLUE that will have to hold the Cowboys together. Obviously, this is what Parcells is GREAT at, along with pushing his squad to play their hardest and best. This season will probably require the most effort from the Tuna, but if ANYONE can do it, IT IS BILL!!!

CONCLUSION
==========
That is all from me for now... what do all the rest of you think about this... I know that this is just all my opinions, so feel free to post your comments, critiques and/or anything else you think about all that I stated above :) I do think that the Cowboys can and will be a top contender in the NFC and quite possibly make a run for the Super Bowl, barring any major injuries or internal team chemestry problems.

Thanks and of course, as always...

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Dallas22 said:
Well, I think that the Cowboys will be a top team in the NFC and could very well make a REAL run not only to make the playoffs, but a REAL run at another Super Bowl trophy. Of course, team chemistry and the dreaded injury bug are big factors as well. As it stands though, here is what our team looks like and needs:

OFFENSE
=======
QB - Drew Bledsoe: With a good OL he will be accurate and dangerous, espcially with TO opening up our offensive options. We still need a veteran BACKUP here though.

RB - Julius Jones: He should improve from last season with an upgraded OL and TO on the field. Our backups (Marion & Thompson) will provide a very nice change of pace and give JJ some rest when needed. Only have 1 FB right now - Polite - so maybe we'll need a decent backup (if there is room on the 53-man roster), but Polite seemed to being doing a stand up job at FB last season.

WR - TO... I hated him, but now I must root for him. Hopefully he will keep his negativity to a minimum, but still keep his enthusiasm, hard work and of course SUPER talent going strong for us for at least 3 seasons... we shall see with this. Terry Glenn will still be the deep threat and make some important catches... he will flurish with TO in the lineup. Crayton, if he stays healthy, will be a nice 3rd WR and become better with TO there. We need to find a decent 4th WR. Basically in the WR area, TO helps and improves ALL the players here - actually, TO helps out entire offense in that he give Drew a big, talented target to through to, takes pressure off of the running game for JJ and company, and gives the other WRs/TEs some more opportunities in single coverage.

TE - Witten is a Pro Bowler and one of the best in the league. With TO there he'll continue to improve, probably having his BEST season in 2006. Our new FA signing (Hannam) will help with the run blocking aspect of our offense, especially in short yardage situations.

OL - Ok, this is the KEY to our offensive sucess. We need them ALL to be healthy. With Flozell and Fabini at Tackles, that should hopefully be more than enough to protect Drew and give him time. Our Centers will probably be the same combo as last season with Al Johnson & Andre Gurode, although it would be nice to see one of these guys take control at this position. The key factor is Larry Allen. We NEED to keep him. Hopefully he'll restructure and the Cowboys will keep him... he is STILL one of the BEST OG's in the NFL and he is worth keeping. If he stays, along with Marco Rivera at the other Guard spot, we should have an AWSOME and COMPLETE offensive line for '06. We would also have some good backups if any injuries should occur to our starting OL. If the Cowboys let Allen go, then we'll have to insert newly signed Kosier in Allen's OG spot. I would feel better using Kosier as a versitle backup at guard and tackle, along with young, versitle former starters Rob Petiti (OG) & Torrin Tucker (OT).

P - Mat McBriar is a very good Punter. I think that he shoud've been a Pro Bowler... stick with thsi guy!

K - MAJOR help needed here, obviously. Suisham is too young, not experienced and too inconsistant to go through what our Cowboy fans had to deal with last season... ARGH!!! HOPEFULLY we can sign a verteren and consistant kicker for 2006, like Viniteri or Vanderjet. PLEASE HELP!!!

DEFENSE
=======
NT - Jason Ferguson: He is the starter, case closed. But he will need to have a breather from a backup, yet to be determined.

DEs - Spears & Ellis: Seems for now that this will stay this way. Hopefully they can provide a better run stop and pass rush than last season. Ellis is going to be typical Ellis, a little above average... Spears will only continue to improve. Canty & Coleman will spell the starters and get a lot fo playing time.

LBs - DeMarcus Ware will control one of the OLB spots and just keep getting better... maybe a Pro Bowler in '06? Bradie James will play one of the ILB positions, but I don't think that he is ALL THAT right now. He will have to improve to really secure that spot for the entire season. Playing along side with James at ILB will be newly signed Akin Ayodele from J-Ville. He should provide a good run stopping force and hopefully be enough for us (along with James) in the middle. I feel a little shaky there, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. For the other OLB slot, it looks like the Cowboys are trying to jet Julius Peterson in FA... this should help out A LOT, especially if Singleton can't be 100% from his collerbone injury in 2005. If Singleton comes back and we get Peterson, that just sures up the LB spots. Also, Burnett will help us to spell the LBs, along with Scott Shanle. Signing Peterson is KEY, along with the play of James & Ayodele... the LB area could be weak, except for DeMarcus Ware.

CBs - We are pretty strong here. With Anthony Henry and Newman at the corners, and Aaron Glenn as our nickle CB and backup J Reeves, we SHOULD be more than fine.

Safties - SS Roy Williams... Pro Bowler, awsome hitter and run stopping helper. He has always been agressive, sometimes TOO aggresive, but that is his style of play.. we need to CBs to really come through and help out when Williams is agressive. On our other side, FS, we currently have Keith Davis, but he is an unrestricted FA and we could lose him. Not that he is that great of a player, so hopefully, the Cowboys can find a decent FS to compliment Willaims ASAP. This spot could be the MOST important to really complete out Defense (along with Peterson at OLB). I can only hope that the Cowboys will trade for or aquire a decent to good FS... PLEASE!

KR/PR - Crayton (WR), Thompson (RB), Newman (CB) and Copper (WR) should be good enough to provide some good special teams plays along with some good kick-punt returns. Just please DON'T FUMBLE!!!

COACH
======
Bill Parcells: The GLUE that will have to hold the Cowboys together. Obviously, this is what Parcells is GREAT at, along with pushing his squad to play their hardest and best. This season will probably require the most effort from the Tuna, but if ANYONE can do it, IT IS BILL!!!

CONCLUSION
==========
That is all from me for now... what do all the rest of you think about this... I know that this is just all my opinions, so feel free to post your comments, critiques and/or anything else you think about all that I stated above :) I do think that the Cowboys can and will be a top contender in the NFC and quite possibly make a run for the Super Bowl, barring any major injuries or internal team chemestry problems.

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

Nice Post but . . .

Lets start with WR: Our #4 WR will DEFINATELY be a special teams player more than he will be a Reciever, because this is what Parcells likes his 4th reciever to be, TO complimented with TG's deep threat 1 on 1 ability and along with maturing Crayton as the #3 Reciever is a tough corpse.

Next Kicker: Vinetieri would be an awesome addition as he might be the best ever, yes he would cost us 3 mil and josh brown is much younger and could be a "Franchise" kicker for years to come, and vanderjat is IMO the 3rd option here.

LB: I dont know what you have or better say havent seen of James and Adoyele, but James is pretty damn good; sure tackler, good speed, and a great run stopper and good size for the 3-4, proved to be pretty good last year. as for Adoyele he is an amazing run stopper and i followed the jags quite a bit since im a fan of fred taylor, byron leftwich and donovan darius and when i heard about Adoyele comin to Dallas i was stoked! as for Ware we all know what he can do and he is still maturing, on the other side we are a bit shaky but the idea of Peterson is also iffy as he would only be worth it at the right price and there are many issues, see other posts about him.

FS: Yes, Keith Davis is not a great FS but you cant say hes not a player as he IS our best special teams player, so dont count him out to quick, we need him just for the reason that he can pile up 30+ tackles in special teams. this position will be addressed in the draft and we may add a veteran FA at the right price once again.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Witten, Jones, TO, AND Terry will all have their best season in 2006---I disagree. Something somewhere has got to give. Just not enough pigskins to go around.

Jones will improve. Lanes opening up, a given.

Witten will improve. Will be our short passing game, continueing to do what he has done in the past PLUS picking up the slack in the recieving game left vacant by the Keyshawn release.

TO is simply a "freak of nature". And we better pray he's getting enough touches his way or he'll be *****ing, then shortly on the bench, and Terry will be running into brick walls of 2 defenders every play.

Terry however is the big lottery loser in this sweepstakes. He'll be a conscious thought 2-3 times a game, no more. Perhaps in the beginning of the season we'll see a bunch of him, but slowly disappearing as the season progress. The positive of this is, we're used to him disappearing half way through the season, but atleast this time our production won't evaporate because of it like it has in the past. In fact I believe Crayton's playing time will increase during the course of the year due to this too.

Basically TO is our superstar and Terry has just become that old guy we seriously need to start thinking about replacing before too long here. Compared, the two may be similar in age, but there are not just miles between these two WR's, there are countries and entire masses of water between the two. And not just in playing calibur, but in overall health--terry looks and acts old...and it worsens every year as the season progresses. He's never the same guy in November that he was at the beginning of the season. The long NFL season just beats his little frame down and you can plainly see it.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
Witten, Jones, TO, AND Terry will all have their best season in 2006---I disagree. Something somewhere has got to give. Just not enough pigskins to go around.

Jones will improve. Lanes opening up, a given.

Witten will improve. Will be our short passing game, continueing to do what he has done in the past PLUS picking up the slack in the recieving game left vacant by the Keyshawn release.

TO is simply a "freak of nature". And we better pray he's getting enough touches his way or he'll be *****ing, then shortly on the bench, and Terry will be running into brick walls of 2 defenders every play.

Terry however is the big lottery loser in this sweepstakes. He'll be a conscious thought 2-3 times a game, no more. Perhaps in the beginning of the season we'll see a bunch of him, but slowly disappearing as the season progress. The positive of this is, we're used to him disappearing half way through the season, but atleast this time our production won't evaporate because of it like it has in the past. In fact I believe Crayton's playing time will increase during the course of the year due to this too.

Basically TO is our superstar and Terry has just become that old guy we seriously need to start thinking about replacing before too long here. Compared, the two may be similar in age, but there are not just miles between these two WR's, there are countries and entire masses of water between the two. And not just in playing calibur, but in overall health--terry looks and acts old...and it worsens every year as the season progresses. He's never the same guy in November that he was at the beginning of the season. The long NFL season just beats his little frame down and you can plainly see it.

Lets just say this, we've added TO who is a reciever who wants the ball and can catch it anywhere on the field. We've lost Bledsoes favorite target in Keyshawn Johnson (71) catches, we only have 1 fullback (2nd year) Lousaka Polite and have added a younger blocking tight end which will force witten into more blocking situations and limit his playing time a little bit. Our running game is going to stay the same and we are going to be getting sacked say 10-15 times less, which means 10-15 more throws which is 5-10 more completions. Glenn will still get his touches in 1 on 1 coverage, TO will be satisfied, JJ and MBIII will get their attempts, Witten will recieve the balls a little less than last year and Crayton will be take away a few catches, mainly from witten.

lspain1

Reaction score
Interesting posts here. You folks have hit upon a couple of areas that give us a strong key on the upcoming draft.

1. Our OL now looks potentially solid with real competition at every spot except perhaps left tackle. Based upon the age we have at guard, we may still draft an OL sometime on the first day (but not round 1).

2. The need at LB is real. We lack depth there, and as we have seen, you can draft immediate contributors at the position. To me the Cowboys might go BPA is someone special falls to them but the real need is at LB. This draft is deep at the LB position so I think our Round 1 pick goes at at that position.

3. The need for a young WR to compete with Crayton and play on special teams is also there. This is not considered a good year for WR's so I'm not sure what the Cowboys will do. If they have someone they really like perhaps they'll bite but there is not a lot of buzz at the position.

4. The FS position is one where the Cowboys have not traditionally drafted high to get. But the position seems to be morphing a bit in today's NFL. Joe Gibbs made a statement to the effect that they consider their safeties interchangeable and do not use the 'strong' and 'free' designations. The Cowboys have Beriault who seems to have the qualities of intelligence and hard hitting the Cowboys like at safety but his cover skills are unproven (read suspect here) and his injury could in fact end his career before it begins. My guess here is that the Cowboys will try to draft someone with speed and intelligence to continue to look for the right guy but as a project and a special teams guy to compete with Davis.

So, based upon our needs, which still very much exist after a strong effort in FA, we do the following:

Day 1 - LB, OL, DL (could be BPA)
Day 2 - WR, FS, BPA

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
1. Our OL now looks potentially solid with real competition at every spot except perhaps left tackle. Based upon the age we have at guard, we may still draft an OL sometime on the first day (but not round 1).

Are you stating this because we are not certain how Flo's injury rehab is progressing? Or for other reasons?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Dallas22 said:

OFFENSE
=======

DEFENSE
=======

COACH
======

CONCLUSION
==========

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

Dang it, I got so excited reading this I burnt my POPCORN!

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I think that on PAPER this is probably the #5 or 6 team in the NFC. I would like better depth on that OL, though, than just Kosier, Tucker, and Pettiti. I wouldnt mind seeing one of the latter 2 let go and a vet signed, but I have no idea whats' left out there in FA. Kicker, FS, LB in that order of importance. I think this team wins 11 games if we fill those 3 positions and is in the thick of a 3-team race for the NFC East title. Man, the East is going to be tough next year. All 4 teams look like 10+ game winners.

lspain1

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Are you stating this because we are not certain how Flo's injury rehab is progressing? Or for other reasons?

Flo is going to be back and will be fine. If you look at our line, he really forms the anchor. We have no one (nor are we likely to draft anyone) who is capable of replacing him. I hope we draft someone who eventually can compete with him but even a top rookie will not do it this year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I say address FS thru the draft, sign a Josh Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if BP doesn't bring in Sowell for a look see at FB. He replaced RA in NY a few years ago how fitting for him to replace RA in Big D

Dallas22

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that Josh Brown would also be a nice pickup at Kicker.

I think that Bradie James is ok at our LB position and can hold it down AS LONG as we have D.Ware, Ayodele and maybe Peterson starting, without injuries and playing well for us. Then I think that we'll be fine at LB. Unfortunatly, injury hits every team and we are VERY thin at LB... I mean, we are still HOPING to add a decent to good OLB to play on the other side (D.Ware)... If we don't pick up a decent vert, then what??? LB is a very big hole right now and without a complete and healthy LB core, Bradie might stuggle more often.

At the Free Saftey spot we are lacking. Keith Davis can be a very nice backup, but we NEED an upgrade here. If we don't upgrade then expect our defense to be beaten deep at times and let teams get back into games (like last season). To me, it's like a domino effect - if there is a glaring weak link in our Defense, then this will trickle down to our other weaker areas on D and opponents will eventually pick on those spots. This will hurt and give teams confidence on coming back on us when they are down.

I just hope that we continue improving our pass rush and put MORE pressure on opposing QBs... this would help our weaknesses on Defense, as long as one of our weaknesses is NOT the pass rush.

Finally, on the O-Line, I think that we will be fine, AS LONG as we are able to keep Larry Allen. Yes, he is old, but he still is one of the best Guards in the league. WE NEED HIM. With him in the lineup, we'll have a pretty decent set of backups, like Tucker & Petiti, whom both played and started A LOT of games for us last season. Kosier, along with our backup center (Al Johnson or Gurode) would also add to another couple of good and versitile backups.

I think that we need to address our lack of LBs (starters and depth) through FA (for a starter) AND the draft (depth)... Our Kicker needs to be addressed through free agency... don't need another rookie kicker from the draft. If we keep Davis at FS, then we MUST at least get a veteran backup through FA. Maybe we can grab a GOOD rookie FS in the draft with our first pick? If not, then hoepfully we'll be able to get a good FS let in FA to start over Davis, or even trade for someone that can fit in there. Either way, we NEED to seriously address this FS spot.

That's that for now from me :)

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nice post. However, I think Canty will be a starter at DE... not Ellis. Spears and Canty should be our bookends for years to come.

dallasfan

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Canty will probably start over Ellis. He's more suited for the 3-4 and he was taking a lot of Ellis' snaps. I see Ellis being used as a pass rusher only.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas22 said:
The key factor is Larry Allen. We NEED to keep him.
I wouldn't go that far. In fact, he may be out of here even if he would accept restructuring his contract.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
jrumann59 said:
I say address FS thru the draft, sign a Josh Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if BP doesn't bring in Sowell for a look see at FB. He replaced RA in NY a few years ago how fitting for him to replace RA in Big D
RA? You mean Ritchie Anderson? :confused: :confused:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
DrewHensonSoonerNotLater said:
I think that on PAPER this is probably the #5 or 6 team in the NFC. I would like better depth on that OL, though, than just Kosier, Tucker, and Pettiti. I wouldnt mind seeing one of the latter 2 let go and a vet signed, but I have no idea whats' left out there in FA. Kicker, FS, LB in that order of importance. I think this team wins 11 games if we fill those 3 positions and is in the thick of a 3-team race for the NFC East title. Man, the East is going to be tough next year. All 4 teams look like 10+ game winners.
I'd challenge you to name those 5 better teams because I don't see it. Of course, we're a long ways away from the start of the season, and my message to the original poster would be I hope we can fill at least one more hole in the starting lineup with the draft in addition to signing a kicker in FA.

For the record, can't think of a single NFC team which I can safely say is better than the Cowboys right now. If there are 5 that are better, the difference is not very much.

Dallas22

Reaction score
Big Dog Cowboys - I can see your point. They did pay Kosier A LOT of $$$, so to just use him as a backup would seem crazy. Still, I don't think anyone can say that Kosier is better than Larry Allen, even with Allen's age and yearly decline. Allen, I think, is still one of the best (or at least one of the better) Guards in the NFL and to get rid of him just doesn't make sense to me, even with Kosier on the Cowboys. Maybe they will cut Allen this off-season, very possible, but I would not agree with that move, ESPECIALLY if he decides to restructure his contract. And on the other side with Rivera, he is still a very good Guard, so Kosier replacing him would also baffle me. I just rather have 3 very GOOD offensive Guards in case an injury comes up... also, Kosier can play Tackle, so he is VERY versitile and doesn't HAVE to start just because the Cowboys paid him a lot of cash... at least not this season.

I don't know, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens... to save $$$ on Allen the Cowboys would have to release him before April 1st to save on the bonus, so if he is still there by then, expect Allen to start. I just think to make things work on offense, especially now with TO and the immobile Drew Bledsoe, we need as many good to great O-Lineman as possible.

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
We look awesome on paper! I hope we get a good kicker, like Viniteri, Vanderjact, Brown, or Mare. I also hope we get Peterson and Volek. As for draft, I want to get Moss, Holmes, or Jackson for WR.