News: Cowboys suspensions offer opportunity wrapped in uncertainty

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys suspensions offer opportunity wrapped in uncertainty
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/07/25/cowboys-suspensions-offer-opportunity-wrapped-uncertainty/

As the Dallas Cowboys ready for training camp, and with suspensions a hot topic, many young players are ready to step in and contribute.

Dec 13, 2015; Green Bay, WI, USA; Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett greets defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford (98) and defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence (90) after the Cowboys stopped the Green Bay Packers at the goal line in the first quarter at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports

By now most Dallas Cowboys fans are well aware of the many high-profile suspensions the defense has already had to endure.

Demarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory will both be absent along the defensive line for the first four games and most recently Rolando McClain has been handed a suspension that will cost him first ten games.

All of unfortunate missteps all coming before training camp has even begun.

With Cowboys faithful bracing themselves for what could be a depleted defense come opening kickoff there are players on the roster chomping at the bit to take advantage of the opportunity in front of them

The defensive line has the most potential for a surprise playmaker to emerge.

With both starting defensive ends sidelined for a quarter of the year guys like Ryan Russell, David Irving, Benson Mayowa, Charles Tapper and Jack Crawford all will be afforded the opportunity to fight for a starting spot.

Russell’s 2015 rookie campaign was a learning experience but he has come into his second year focused and ready to contribute.

The former Boiler Maker has been earning rave reviews up to this point in the offseason from coach Rod Marinelli with Russell himself admitting to feeling like a different player in year two. ...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we have many young players to compete to have better depth this year. The big question is, can they step up and perform well enough the 1st 4 games. Then when Lawrence and Gregory return, that experience in those 4 games can only help for depth and a strong rotation, or hope what becomes a strong rotation.
I feel it is there, but as usual, we need to see it.

erod

Reaction score
It's an issue, but let's stop pretending Gregory leaves this big hole to fill. He hasn't done a thing in this league, and he's yet to prove himself any better than Ryan Russell at this point.

If Mayowa can play, they're in decent shape. If Tapper can play, then it's even better.

When Cheech and Chong return, the rotation should be better than what we saw last year.

Daillest88

Reaction score
At least one of those players is going to surprise us this year.

That's what I'm saying. I believe that one person will be Irving. 14 pressures 1 sack as a rookie picked up from Kansas city's practice squad and came here and was able to contribute. This is the guy who owned Brandon scherff in college. He's a physical freak

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The only positive I can say about our line is that we didn't stand pat as one of the worst teams in sacks the last couple of years.

We added Mayowa, Tapper, Thornton and Collins while keeping our only player who got into any kind of pressure groove last year (Lawrence) even though he's suspended four games.

We don't know if any of those players will help improve the pass rush, but it's better than trying the same thing and expecting different results. Hopefully, health will make Tyrone Crawford better as an inside player and some of the younger players like Irving, Russell and Gregory can step up when given the opportunity.

I'm not expecting much because we don't have proof that these players can do it, but I'm certainly hopeful.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greg Hardy drew an awful lot of attention. We did upgrade the interior DL significantly with Thornton, McClain, and T Crawford healthy. But we lost a lot with Hardy out. With Lawrence in the lineup, I feel ok that we can get production from the combination of Gregory, Mayowa, Russel, and Irving. I will be gripping those first four weeks though. Tapped and Collins both have potential, but they're mid-round rookies, and one of them's hurt. Jack Crawford's a solid role player with position flex, but we're talking about filling a lot of important holes here.

phildadon86

Reaction score
At least one of those players is going to surprise us this year.

I think 3 of them will surprise us to be honest. Loved the Tapper pick, Mayowa could be a good player, and Irving i think is going to flourish with Marinelli.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Greg Hardy drew an awful lot of attention. We did upgrade the interior DL significantly with Thornton, McClain, and T Crawford healthy. But we lost a lot with Hardy out. With Lawrence in the lineup, I feel ok that we can get production from the combination of Gregory, Mayowa, Russel, and Irving. I will be gripping those first four weeks though. Tapped and Collins both have potential, but they're mid-round rookies, and one of them's hurt. Jack Crawford's a solid role player with position flex, but we're talking about filling a lot of important holes here.

Hardy drew a lot of attention for a while, until the pictures came out and he went off the rails, and teams just started singling him at the end of the year. I can't remember what game is what towards the end of the year but I'm pretty sure some 6th round or UDFA rookie/2nd year guy basically ruined his day.

He was a force in the beginning, but if someone has tape of the last quarter of the season I'm sure you can see him fall off a cliff.

I'm actually excited to watch the young guys. I think it's going to be a great experience for them. A guy that's coming into his development in Benson, a few second year guys, a few rookies that have some talent. Jack is a rotational guy but he's still 27.

I'm not really expecting much from Tapper/Collins, but the snaps can only help Tapper. I don't think the DE position affects Collins much really.

A lot of people are clutching their mothers pearls but I'm actually going to enjoy watching it.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing what Mayowa can do. I know it means nothing, but quite a few Raiders fans were not too happy to see him go. He's got a lot of potential so lets see what Rod can do with him.....

silver

Reaction score
Hopefully they add Dwight Freeney to have a veteran presence to tutor this young knuckleheads. Just like Demarcus Ware tutored Von Miller in Denver. Not that any of our ends remind anyone of Miller. It couldn't hurt IMHO