Recap: Cowboys Thursday Recap

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Thurs. Practice Recap: Closing Out Oxnard; Johnson Getting Close
Posted 41 minutes ago

By DallasCowboys.com Report

witten_081513_650.jpg

OXNARD, Calif. – The Cowboys wrapped up their final full practice of training camp.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ng-Close/69736087-a190-4e53-b365-bdaf3bdfc7aa

for the haters:

Gavin Escobar, TE: Speaking of the rookie tight end, Escobar had a strong all-around day to close out training camp. He consistently made himself available in the middle of the field for Orton. Escobar has yet to show up during a preseason game, but he has certainly shown his abilities when given the opportunities in practice.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So...Escobar isn't a bust now? I'm getting whiplash.

Missed Practice: LB Ernie Sims (groin)
DT Sean Lissemore (groin)
S Eric Frampton (hamstring)
S J.J. Wilcox (non-injury)
CB Morris Claiborne (knee)
LB Alex Albright (back)
G Kevin Kowalski (leg)
G Ray Dominguez (shoulder)
DE Anthony Spencer (knee)
G/C Ryan Cook (back)
S Matt Johnson (foot)
DE Tyrone Crawford (Achilles)
DT Jay Ratliff (hamstring)

I'm thinking some players on this list are getting held out because they're not playing on Sat. I'm starting to wonder if they're not just holding Ratliff out of camp altogether for mostly precautionary reasons.

Good to hear Johnson's on his way back into the lineup, too.

jnday

Reaction score
I am not a hater, but what does having a good practice day prove exactly? Should this one practice change any opinions?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I am not a hater, but what does having a good practice day prove exactly? Should this one practice change any opinions?

Exactly. We WANT Escobar to progress and succeed. I don't see the hate.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I think The term hater was a tad too far, but it seems there is this consistent over reaction to a players weakness that was known about before drafting the guy.

I think that's where the issue arose for op

Personally I'm not too worried with Escobar right now because hanna seems to be TE #2 at this point.

Let Escobar develop and gain strength and this shouldn't be too much of an issue going into the future IMO.

Besides even the best blocking TE's like Marty B can give up a sack fumble on the very first offensive play of a preseason game.

Right?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Good news getting Matt Johnson back.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
Escobar is not a bust but he will not see much playing time. My guess is he catches about 8 balls this season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think The term hater was a tad too far, but it seems there is this consistent over reaction to a players weakness that was known about before drafting the guy.

Personally I'm not too worried with Escobar right now because hanna seems to be TE #2 at this point.

Let Escobar develop and gain strength and this shouldn't be too much of an issue going into the future IMO.

Besides even the best blocking TE's like Marty B can give up a sack fumble on the very first offensive play of a preseason game.

Right?

I think the concern about Escobar was that he was a 2nd round pick. Those picks are expected to have an impact in year 1. You could certainly argue that the pick would have been used more wisely on a offensive or defensive lineman.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Glad to see Matty will be back soon and that he realizes he needs to show he can stay on the field.

Like the blurbs about Orten too.. seems all that worry was much ado about nothing. Not everyone is going to be in midseason form in OTA's and mini camps.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Good news getting Matt Johnson back.

I like how he is up front about his situation. Questions about his toughness, I think, are out of line.
But questions on whether or not his body can hold up long term at this level are fair.
  • Matt Johnson said he hopes to start working back into practice Monday from his foot injury. Johnson’s dealt with injuries throughout his career, and at times he admits he’s tried to come back too early. He knows he has to be smart and listen to the trainers, but he also knows he needs more reps.

“Maybe it’s just bad luck, bad timing, all that stuff,” Johnson said. “Obviously I haven’t proven myself to be able to stay on the field in the NFL, so it kind of sucks, but I can’t prove it otherwise until I get back on the field.”

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score

Right?

Maybe the over reaction isn't for the player and his weakness. Maybe it's for those who decided to draft yet another TE in the 2nd round. We can't seem to stop doing it.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I think the concern about Escobar was that he was a 2nd round pick. Those picks are expected to have an impact in year 1. You could certainly argue that the pick would have been used more wisely on a offensive or defensive lineman.

So are you a proponent of drafting for need or BPA?

Seems like they drafted both and if I remember correctly Frederick was the last lineman before a huge drop in talent occurred (according to Broaddus)

So really how much of an impact would that guy of had if he turned out to be a fourth round quality of guy.

You've also got to remember they don't have the ability to make these picks with any sort hindsight.

If everyone wants Romos replacement to picked and groomed why not Wittens?

And if Jason outlasts another guy good for him and us because by that time were looking at possibly the GOAT at his position.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Maybe the over reaction isn't for the player and his weakness. Maybe it's for those who decided to draft yet another TE in the 2nd round. We can't seem to stop doing it.

Who's to say Hanna didn't need some competition?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly.

It's about return on investment.

Never got it from Fasano, never got it from Bennett, and early news on Escobar is also not encouraging.

Forget name or position and just look at the second round picks used.

This team should be getting better return on investment from those draft picks.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So are you a proponent of drafting for need or BPA?

Seems like they drafted both and if I remember correctly Frederick was the last lineman before a huge drop in talent occurred (according to Broaddus)

So really how much of an impact would that guy of had if he turned out to be a fourth round quality of guy.

You've also got to remember they don't have the ability to make these picks with any sort hindsight.

If everyone wants Romos replacement to picked and groomed why not Wittens?

And if Jason outlasts another guy good for him and us because by that time were looking at possibly the GOAT at his position.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying Escobar was a bad pick. Just saying that you could easily argue that point. It's easy to say now that he was in light of the injuries along the offensive and defensive lines. Having said that, 2nd round picks should have an impact their rookie years so if he doesn't, then maybe at the end of they year you can say it was a bad pick.

Generally, I believe in picking the best player available but there are also times when drafting for need is more appropriate.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Escobar is not a bust but he will not see much playing time. My guess is he catches about 8 balls this season.

If 3-4 of them are TDs , I could care less about his playing time.

We need a reliable red zone threat apart from Dez, Witten.