Cowboys vs Eagles 1980 NFC Champ game

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember that game like it was yesterday. One of the few times the Cowboys under Tom Landry were disappointingly unprepared. When former Abilene Christian RB Wilbert Montgomery scored that TD early for Filly, it was all downhill from there.

This was the first of 3 straight NFC championship games from 1980-82, but sadly we lost all 3. Cowboys QB Danny White, the successor to Roger Staubach, won 5 playoff games as Cowboys QB, but could never get those really good early 80s teams to a SB. White was a better QB than he gets credit for.

Nowadays, just playing in an NFC Championship would be tall cotton since we haven’t sniffed one since Barry Switzer was a toting pistol in airports while Cowboys head coach.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I remember that game like it was yesterday. One of the few times the Cowboys under Tom Landry were disappointingly unprepared. When former Abilene Christian RB Wilbert Montgomery scored that TD early for Filly, it was all downhill from there.

This was the first of 3 straight NFC championship games from 1980-82, but sadly we lost all 3. Cowboys QB Danny White, the successor to Roger Staubach, won 5 playoff games as Cowboys QB, but could never get those really good early 80s teams to a SB. White was a better QB than he gets credit for.

Nowadays, just playing in an NFC Championship would be tall cotton since we haven’t sniffed one since Barry Switzer was a toting pistol in airports while Cowboys head coach.

Cowboys lead Eagles 66-52 in overall record, at least there's that...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And this is the one and only benefit to winning the 2010 and 2017 week 17 meaningless games against Philadelphia.
That subject (reasons to win or not win the last game) has been beaten to death, and nobody has changed their mind. Give it a rest, it's an endless argument...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys lead Eagles 66-52 in overall record, at least there's that...
Yeah. In the 70s, Dallas was 17-3 against the beagles, 80s 10-10, and 90s 14-8. Since 2000 however, when most of the “Jimmy era” players were gone and the “Jerry era” kicks in, the beagles lead us 21-16, including winning 9 of 10 games between 2000 and 2004. This is the only time in team history where the beagles have the edge.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Because of the endless argument.

Before people gave it a rest and ended the endless argument.

thx, what was the argument. I dont remember that game being controversial, in fact I dont remember it at all

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Was 10 years old at the time. This game really upset me. :mad:

I never thought at that point this would be around 37 1/2 years later...I thought they would win the Super Bowl that year.

:igglestrophy:

Last edited:

GreenMean69

Reaction score
Was 10 years old at the time. This game really upset me. :mad:

I never thought at that point this would be around 37 1/2 years later...I thought they would win the Super Bowl that year.

:igglestrophy:

I was born 30 days after this game ..... it took 38 years for me to see a SB win :( I feel bad for my family . My parents were at the 1960 game and were 14 at the time . I dont live far from where Franklyn field used to be . Season tickets in family since 1971 ....

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
GreenMean69 said:
I was born 30 days after this game ..... it took 38 yearss for me to see a SB win :( I feel bad for my family . My parents were at the 1960 game and were 14 at the time . I dont live far from where Franklyn field used to be . Season tickets in family since 1971 ....
The longer the wait..the ..sweeter it is.... they say. As a Texas Ranger baseball fan, I believe it. We got so close one year, literally down to the last strike from winning the World Series, only to have the victory ripped away. It was brutal! Still waiting for a Championship.

That was a good team you guys had in 1980, and beating Dallas handidly in the NFC Championship game, had to be pretty sweet for your family, regardless.

Shoot my oldest child is 27, and he was too young to remember the last Super Bowl Dallas won. Hopefully, my children don't have to wait too much longer to experience it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I was 7yrs old.
I think I cried.
It's too bad Danny followed Roger...he was a damn good QB.
Still believe til the day I die....if he doesnt break his wrist in '86....we were 6-2....that '86 team woulda been the cinderella team.

TexasTriumph

Reaction score
We crushed the Raiders at their place earlier in the year. That ring was ours if we got past the Eagles.