CFZ Crazy Stat on Cowboys’ First Down Plays

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the keys to having a good drive is how well a team executes on first down. Most Cowboys fans have noticed for many years how anemic we tend to be on first down plays, especially running the ball.

Yesterday at the end of the third quarter, the Fox broadcast posted a graph that illustrates this in a very clear way:
  • Cowboys on first down plays: 15 plays for 29 yards.
  • eagles on first down plays: 17 plays for 117 yards.
That’s a graphic example of putting your team in bad spots on 2nd and 3rd down. This is exactly what influences our third down conversion rates. Yesterday it was 6/15 on third down conversions and most of them were on 3rd and long situations. When your team is constantly in 3rd and 7 or more, this league is brutal.

So far this season, Mike McCarthy’s offense is digging too many holes on first down.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is no excuse. One can not fabricate accountability. That is completely the fault of McCarthy...not Jerry!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
One of the keys to having a good drive is how well a team executes on first down. Most Cowboys fans have noticed for many years how anemic we tend to be on first down plays, especially running the ball.

Yesterday at the end of the third quarter, the Fox broadcast posted a graph that illustrates this in a very clear way:
That’s a graphic example of putting your team in bad spots on 2nd and 3rd down. This is exactly what influences our third down conversion rates. Yesterday it was 6/15 on third down conversions and most of them were on 3rd and long situations. When your team is constantly in 3rd and 7 or more, this league is brutal.

So far this season, Mike McCarthy’s offense is digging too many holes on first down.
Are the Cowboys allowed to pass on first down ?
I think the NFL passed a rule this offseason banning them from doing so?
Can a more knowledgable fan bring me up to speed?
Thanks

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Are the Cowboys allowed to pass on first down ?
I think the NFL passed a rule this offseason banning them from doing so?
Can a more knowledgable fan bring me up to speed?
Thanks
Running on first down hasn't been a significant problem this year like it has in the past.

What kills them is runs on 2nd and long (i.e. the first drive).

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
This is a Dak Prescott stat.

He's the best third down quarterback in the league by a MILE right now, and he's bailing out the overall systemic failures of the offense.
If only he didn't suck on 1st and 2nd down.........

Mark

Reaction score
The Cowboys' first drive last night was disappointing, utterly-predictable, and ultimately unsuccessful:

1. Run up the middle for short gain.
2. Run up the middle for short gain.
3. Incomplete pass.
4. Punt

(Eagles drive for TD.)

They knew going in they wouldn't be able to run on the Eagles. But the Cowboys were going to "show them!"

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No team fears the Cowboys running game. Opposing defenses make no commitment with their scheme to show any sign of respect for the Cowboys running game. The Cowboys are essentially one dimensional for 60 minutes.
When I saw the eagles having 17 first down plays for 117 yards…man that Makes it so much easier on the QB to make plays when it’s 2nd and 3.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
When I saw the eagles having 17 first down plays for 117 yards…man that Makes it so much easier on the QB to make plays when it’s 2nd and 3.
Opposing defenses have to respect both run and pass when defending vs the Eagles. They have a great OL, QB that can run and throw with great efficiency and explosive skill players. Pick your poison, they can switch the play on a dime with an RPO or just let the QB tuck it and go.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score

That wasn't a problem yesterday. We lit them up and down the field. Problem we made mistakes and Eagles lucked out on 3 fumbles, refs and Dak stepping out of bounds. Any other day and Eagles were toast.

Praxit

Reaction score
...and even with all that. Still had a shot and winning it.

Six yards away... :banghead:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
That wasn't a problem yesterday. We lit them up and down the field. Problem we made mistakes and Eagles lucked out on 3 fumbles, refs and Dak stepping out of bounds. Any other day and Eagles were toast.
That was a statistical anomaly.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
that and they play all four down if they are close to the sticks. That's a major advantage.