CFZ “Credit”: Types, How to grade it and when to dole it out

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are basically at the halfway point of the season, and there’s no doubt, our Cowboys have performed surprisingly well. The entire organization deserves some credit for this 6-2 start (including JJ and SJ) but I believe there are types of “credit” to give (or not give) and an appropriate time to give it.

In my book, there are four types of credit to give the leaders of a pro football team based on performance. Below are the four areas and what grade I would give each based on recent and past performance. Some “credit” grades should wait until the end of the season but I issued them anyway.
  • 1. Stability and profitability- having stable ownership and cash flow. (Grade: A+. No owner in pro sports does profitability better than Jerry. And his “structure” will not change. This is certainly a stable franchise) Credit can be given now for sure.
  • 2. Talent acquisition- the ability to draft and develop talent as well as acquire appropriate free agents. Also includes hiring the right coaches. (Grade: B+. Credit to JJ for hiring and keeping Will McClay as the primary influence on drafting. McClay has proven to be great at identifying talent. We could be a little bolder with some free agents and JJ could be less risky in the 2nd round, lol. Hiring McCarthy was way better than the ten year roller coaster of Jason Garrett) Credit should be given at the end of each year when performance is complete.
  • 3. Culture- the attitude and commitment of the entire organization toward winning along with a mental and physical toughness. (Grade: C-. If we’re being honest, this team has been soft the last decade, especially in the playoffs when facing more physical teams. It’s been fairly good in the regular season) Credit should be given at the end of each year based on performance.
  • 4. On-field Performance- in two areas.
    • A. Regular season performance- over the last decade, we have played well in the regular season, only having 2 losing seasons, winning 4 divisional titles and making the playoffs 4 times. (Past Grade: B. The Cowboys have played well in the regular season overall) credit should be given at the end of each season.
    • B. Playoff performance- Since our last SB in the ‘95 season the Cowboys are 4-11 in the playoffs. The last decade, we are 2-4. (Past Grade: D. It’s been almost bizarre how well our regular season play has been only to fall flat most playoff games- is it culture?) Credit should be given at end of each season.
As I said at the beginning, most credit should be issued at the end of season when performances are judged against the context of a whole season. We’ve had an excellent first half considering the way this season started. But there’s a lot of football left to be played.

Here’s hoping we finally are able to give some credit for playoff performance!

Creeper

Reaction score
I admit, I thought the Cowboys would be a 8-9, 9-8 team before the season started. When Dak got hurt I think they might win 4 or 5 games total. But I never thought the NFC would be so bad this year, or that the Cowboys would play so well despite all the injuries. This team is "special" compared to previous Cowboys teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
I admit, I thought the Cowboys would be a 8-9, 9-8 team before the season started. When Dak got hurt I think they might win 4 or 5 games total. But I never thought the NFC would be so bad this year, or that the Cowboys would play so well despite all the injuries. This team is "special" compared to previous Cowboys teams.

Yeah, I didn't expect this either. We're not used to seeing a defense like this. Any other year Cooper Rush doesn't win 4 out of 5 games for us. This is probably the first year since 2007 I can say we're easily a top team in the NFC. Capable of beating anyone.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And like most of the previous teams we felt good about, this team must prove they are special in the playoffs.

Flamma

Reaction score
And like most of the previous teams we felt good about, this team must prove they are special in the playoffs.

Excellent point my man!! But when was the last time you felt good about the Cowboys entering the playoffs? I have to go back to 2016. Then 2014. Before that, 2007. Since 2016 I haven't felt good about the Cowboys in the playoffs.

We're only halfway through the season. Lets see how we feel 4-5 weeks from now. We'll get a better idea. If it's the same as now, we're in good shape.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are basically at the halfway point of the season, and there’s no doubt, our Cowboys have performed surprisingly well. The entire organization deserves some credit for this 6-2 start (including JJ and SJ) but I believe there are types of “credit” to give (or not give) and an appropriate time to give it.

In my book, there are four types of credit to give the leaders of a pro football team based on performance. Below are the four areas and what grade I would give each based on recent and past performance. Some “credit” grades should wait until the end of the season but I issued them anyway.
  • 1. Stability and profitability- having stable ownership and cash flow. (Grade: A+. No owner in pro sports does profitability better than Jerry. And his “structure” will not change. This is certainly a stable franchise) Credit can be given now for sure.
  • 2. Talent acquisition- the ability to draft and develop talent as well as acquire appropriate free agents. Also includes hiring the right coaches. (Grade: B+. Credit to JJ for hiring and keeping Will McClay as the primary influence on drafting. McClay has proven to be great at identifying talent. We could be a little bolder with some free agents and JJ could be less risky in the 2nd round, lol. Hiring McCarthy was way better than the ten year roller coaster of Jason Garrett) Credit should be given at the end of each year when performance is complete.
  • 3. Culture- the attitude and commitment of the entire organization toward winning along with a mental and physical toughness. (Grade: C-. If we’re being honest, this team has been soft the last decade, especially in the playoffs when facing more physical teams. It’s been fairly good in the regular season) Credit should be given at the end of each year based on performance.
    • A. Regular season performance- over the last decade, we have played well in the regular season, only having 2 losing seasons, winning 4 divisional titles and making the playoffs 4 times. (Past Grade: B. The Cowboys have played well in the regular season overall) credit should be given at the end of each season.
    • B. Playoff performance- Since our last SB in the ‘95 season the Cowboys are 4-11 in the playoffs. The last decade, we are 2-4. (Past Grade: D. It’s been almost bizarre how well our regular season play has been only to fall flat most playoff games- is it culture?) Credit should be given at end of each season.
As I said at the beginning, most credit should be issued at the end of season when performances are judged against the context of a whole season. We’ve had an excellent first half considering the way this season started. But there’s a lot of football left to be played.

You have to define a time frame.

Talent acquisition in the McCarthy era looks like an A+.

Talent acquisition acquisition in the McClay era (2014 to present) is an A, especially talent relative to the cap. In March 2013 they were completely Maxed out against the cap. They had restructured all possible contracts to push max cap dollars into future years while working on a new contract for Romo.

McClay & Stephen Jones increased the talent and cleaned up the cap mess starting in 2014.

All teams have failed draft picks. The Cowboys have been very good relative to other teams. They never meet fan expectations of perfection.

Obviously the only real grade is win/loss results.

Regular season B
4 time division winner in 8 seasons from 2014 to 2021.

Playoffs F
2 wins in 8 seasons (2014 to 2021).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great writeup.

I am going to give the CULTURE a higher grade. for the past 2 years. Yes over the past 10 years or so, a C.
I am giving it a B on the last 2 years. It has changed, and is still in flux of getting better.
I think this is a tougher and more physical team this year, and not just on the field, but mentally as well. I think even under Garrett they showed some mental toughness, as to never giving up.

But MM has them mentally tough as well, and much of that comes from Dak, as we see he never gives up. And now players follow Micah's attitude on defense.
I feel no one player wants to be that guy that lets the team or another player down.

It just feels different than it has in the past.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Talent acquisition acquisition in the McClay era (2014 to present) is an A, especially talent relative to the cap. In March 2013 they were completely Maxed out against the cap. They had restructured all possible contracts to push max cap dollars into future years while working on a new contract for Romo.

McClay & Stephen Jones increased the talent and cleaned up the cap mess starting in 2014.

All teams have failed draft picks. The Cowboys have been very good relative to other teams. They never meet fan expectations of perfection.

Regular season B

Playoffs F
Time frame is a good point. As I said in the OP I was generally trying to grade on the last decade. And I also said for most credit categories, it cannot accurately be measured until the end of a season.

IMO, It’s too early to declare this year’s team a success until their last game is played. At mid-season, it certainly has been an impressive first half of the season. And our young talent added this year- especially Tyler Smith, the TEs, Sam Williams, maybe Deron Bland- all could be seen as having very bright futures. But still too early IMO.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The word special at this stage of the season is hyperbole.
Is it good to have the record we have after all that has happened? Yes it is.
But we’re still in second place in the division with the same record as the Giants and 9 games left.
Talk to me again in two months and we’ll see how “special “ we actually are.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we’re still in second place in the division with the same record as the Giants and 9 games left.
Agreed. Hopefully we get to make the final assessment of this team in February.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Time frame is a good point. As I said in the OP I was generally trying to grade on the last decade. And I also said for most credit categories, it cannot accurately be measured until the end of a season.

IMO, It’s too early to declare this year’s team a success until their last game is played. At mid-season, it certainly has been an impressive first half of the season. And our young talent added this year- especially Tyler Smith, the TEs, Sam Williams, maybe Deron Bland- all could be seen as having very bright futures. But still too early IMO.

The #1 key to playoff success is consistently making it to the playoffs.

The Patriots won 6 Super Bowls in the Tom Brady era in large part because they made it to the playoffs 17 of 19 seasons. They were 11-5 and 9-7 the two seasons they didn't make it to the playoffs.

Up to this point the McCarthy era looks really good. 2020 was the Dak injury and Mike Nolan at D-Coordinator year.

Nolan was not the preferred choice when hired according to several reports but teams and new Head Coaches are limited to the available pool of assistants at the time the HC is hired.

They finally got the chance to hire the guy that had wanted since 2013. Dan Quinn. He was at U of Florida in 2011 & 2012 then hired by Seattle as DC in 2013. The Cowboys tried to hire him then but Seattle had the inside track due to Quinn having been there previously as DL coach.

They quickly turned things around in 2021 by hiring Quinn, drafting players that fit his requirements and having Dak back at QB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Really good post and extremely well formatted.
Appreciate the time spent here.

Just a smattering of comments:
Dallas has been led by its offense for 20 years. Easier to sell those jerseys and get fans excited. But that guns blazing offense that leaves the defense dog tired and worn out does build a certain culture.
This team feels different. It's led by the defense even when the offense has good games its still Micah as the best player and a relentless pass rush as the brand.
That gives me hope for the playoffs.
And is the one thing I'd point to as demonstrably different.
One of the reasons I fully supported the Coop move was just this. Let that 20M cap hit go to the defense.

But you can't win in the playoffs til they start so we have a long way to go and lot left to see.

All that said, mid-term grades are mid-term grades.

Creeper

Reaction score

Note I said special in quotes and compared to previous Cowboys teams. In the past the Cowboys would have injuries and fold and fold, or use them as an excuse. This year despite numerous injuries they have continued to win. Another characteristic I have noticed is when the other team scores to get back in the game, the Cowboys come right back with a score of their own. In this regard, the Cowboys a re special compared to the Cowboys in recent years. Where I might have anticipated the big fold in the past, this year I am optimistic this winning will continue.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
No credit has to be given yet. That's like applauding a marathon runner just because he made the first five hundred meters.

Sorry guys, all these FO praising Threads of late are coming in way to soon. We have been at this exact same point last season and got nothing to show for it in the end.

Just enjoy the wins but nothing has been achieved so far.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I don't give talent acquisition a B+. We have picked some good players, but we've missed a lot of as well. I get the draft is a crap shoot, so that part is fine. But our free agency grade isn't good compared to other contenders.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Note I said special in quotes and compared to previous Cowboys teams. In the past the Cowboys would have injuries and fold and fold, or use them as an excuse. This year despite numerous injuries they have continued to win. Another characteristic I have noticed is when the other team scores to get back in the game, the Cowboys come right back with a score of their own. In this regard, the Cowboys a re special compared to the Cowboys in recent years. Where I might have anticipated the big fold in the past, this year I am optimistic this winning will continue.
Again quotes or no quotes it’s too early to start the hyperbole.
52 weeks ago today we got crushed by the Broncos .
Up to that point we looked “ special “.
Afterwards not so much.
You seem to forget we’re second in the NFC East and already have a loss to the leaders.
That doesn’t say special to me.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really good post and extremely well formatted.
Appreciate the time spent here.

Just a smattering of comments:
Dallas has been led by its offense for 20 years. Easier to sell those jerseys and get fans excited. But that guns blazing offense that leaves the defense dog tired and worn out does build a certain culture.
This team feels different. It's led by the defense even when the offense has good games its still Micah as the best player and a relentless pass rush as the brand.
That gives me hope for the playoffs.
And is the one thing I'd point to as demonstrably different.
One of the reasons I fully supported the Coop move was just this. Let that 20M cap hit go to the defense.

But you can't win in the playoffs til they start so we have a long way to go and lot left to see.

All that said, mid-term grades are mid-term grades.
All excellent points. And yes, this defense-led team does feel different. Here’s hoping it is different come playoff time.
No credit has to be given yet. That's like applauding a marathon runner just because he made the first five hundred meters.

Sorry guys, all these FO praising Threads of late are coming in way to soon. We have been at this exact same point last season and got nothing to show for it in the end.

Just enjoy the wins but nothing has been achieved so far.
Yep. That’s why the champion is never crowned in November.

fansince68

Reaction score

Culture is a problem and will continue to be. Our rookie WR recognized the culture problem

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Regular season B

Playoffs F

I think McCarthy is really good at micromanaging the micromanagers in general.

The way I see it, he wouldn't be a bad candidate for GM.