Current Cowboys Parcells' best offense ever?

dboyz

Reaction score
Does the current Cowboys offense have the most offensive firepower assembled on a Parcells coached team? To be clear I'm certainly not opening for debate whether this is the best Cowboys offense ever (it's not)... but could this be the best offense Parcells has ever coached with any team.

The candidates would be:

86 Giants
90 Giants
96 Patriots
98 Jets

First 86 Giants:

QB Phil Simms
RB Joe Morris
RB Maurice Carthon
WR Lionel Manuel
WR Stacey Robinson
TE Mark Bavaro
LT Brad Benson
LG Billy Ard
C Bart Oates
RG Chris Godfrey
RT Karl Nelson

Simms was very good of course probably underrated at that time. Morris was quite good at rb for a short time and Bavaro was a tough tight end, but WR's were very pedestrian. Current cowboys definitely have more firepower. I would have to say the Giants line was pretty good then.

The 90 Giants were great defensively, but not an offensive juggernaut. This team is better. No analysis needed

96 Patriots

QB Bledsoe
RB Curtis Martin
WR Terry Glenn
WR Shawn Jefferson
TE Ben Coates
Others: Keith Byars, Dave Meggett

Bledsoe is the same, Martin is better than our rb's, the TE's are pretty even and TO is much better than anyone other than Glenn. I would have to say slight edge to current Cowboys, but it is debatable.

98 Jets

QB Testaverde
RB Curtis Martin
WR Keyshawn
WR Chrebet
TE Kyle Brady
others: Byars, Dedric Ward

I would give a slight nod to Bledsoe over Testaverde although Testaverde was very good that year. RB nod goes to Martin for sure. Wr's nod goes to Cowboys and TE to current Cowboys. Overall slight edge to Cowboys.

In conclusion I think Parcells has more offensive firepower than he's ever had, but he does not have the kind of offensive line that he has had in the past. I didn't analyze the past OL's closely as I don't have enough specific knowledge, but someone else could certainly add in some points.

amuze

Reaction score
I think your analysis is spot on except the 2006 Bledsoe vs 1996 Bledsoe. He's aged 10 years and that's an eternity in football. However, having TO will probably negate some of his decline due to aging.

silver

Reaction score
the 1990's Giants featured a great offensive line with the likes of Jumbo Elliott and 4 former first round draftees among others (would've been 5 if Phil Simms had stayed healthy):

Oates, Bart C
Moore, Eric G
Roberts, William G
Elliott, Jumbo T
Riesenberg, Doug T
Bavaro, Mark TE
Cross, Howard TE
Mrosko, Bob TE
Ingram, Mark WR
Anderson, Ottis RB
Hostetler, Jeff QB

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It's funny, Bill said at the press conference this week that TO won't catch 100 balls here, but on that 96' Patriots team I believe Glenn caught over 100 balls. That was a real good team, and yes, I believe it was better than this one. The Terry Glenn in 1996 is pretty darn close to the Terrell Owens of 2006. Their defense was arguably a bit better. But this is all conjecture, we're talking about better on paper, I am anxious to see how this team gels in training camp and performs on the field.

Hoov

Reaction score
As far as passing game weapons, this has to be the best parcells has had.

But other teams had better O line and better RB's. Not that Jones or Barber wont develop into good backs, but the other Parcell's teams lived off the running game. They could take it to you even when you knew it was a running play. Hardly the case for our cowboys the past few years.

Givincer

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
It's funny, Bill said at the press conference this week that TO won't catch 100 balls here, but on that 96' Patriots team I believe Glenn caught over 100 balls. That was a real good team, and yes, I believe it was better than this one. The Terry Glenn in 1996 is pretty darn close to the Terrell Owens of 2006. Their defense was arguably a bit better. But this is all conjecture, we're talking about better on paper, I am anxious to see how this team gels in training camp and performs on the field.

The first statement that is in bold is just flat out wrong. Glenn caugh 90 balls in 1996. The second statement in bold is patently absurd. Terry Glenn was a rookie in 1996 who had just over 1100yds and 6 tds (very very good numbers for a rookie), but that does not even compare to what Owens has done over the last two seasons. Comparing a rookie to one of the best receivers of all time who is in his prime years (33 is the same age Rice had his best season) is not a valid comparison.

The answer is Parcells has never had this much fire power on an offense in Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Witten, Fasano and Julius. More importantly it's the most firepower Drew Bledsoe has ever had as well. Our offense will score points all day so long Drew is provided adequate time to throw the football, just like last year just higher octane and hopefully much more consistant.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Offensively, Parcells has never had the players at the skill positions that he has now. Our O-Line is still a major question mark though and a lot will depend on their gelling and playing well.

His 1986 Giants team was the best he ever had as a team. Their defense and O-Line were among the best in the league at the time (only the Bears' D was as good) but they didn't have great players at the skill positions. As much as everyone made about Bavaro he really never impressed me that much but he came through for them in key situations and that was what created the hype (kinda like Lynn Swann).

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I think we probably should wait till opening day to see how parts fit in, before this discussion happens. Even then I probably wait till mid season before saying, yeah, BP has the best offense ever assembled in his career. OL and Bledsoe are big question marks in my mind in that order.

Reaction score
Just want to add, as someone who has seen a lot of him, Wayne Chrebet was an absolute monster on 3rd down. The man singlehandedly destroyed many an opponent with his incredibly annoying 3rd and long heroics. The guy was phenominal on 3rd down.

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
The Terry Glenn in 1996 is pretty darn close to the Terrell Owens of 2006.

Not trying to start an argument, and I like Glenn very much, but that is ridiculous. Glenn has a great rookie year becuase he slipped right under everyones radar. He has never matched his number that year.

Reaction score
JuliusCaesar said:
The answer is Parcells has never had this much fire power on an offense in Owens, Glenn, Crayton, Witten, Fasano and Julius. More importantly it's the most firepower Drew Bledsoe has ever had as well. Our offense will score points all day so long Drew is provided adequate time to throw the football, just like last year just higher octane and hopefully much more consistant.

Without a doubt. I hope he doesn't need to, but I fully expect Bledsoe to end the season in possession of nearly every Cowboys single season passing record.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
on8thdayGodcreatedBledsoe said:
Without a doubt. I hope he doesn't need to, but I fully expect Bledsoe to end the season in possession of nearly every Cowboys single season passing record.

That's putting him into mighty lofty territory and company.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
silver said:
the 1990's Giants featured a great offensive line with the likes of Jumbo Elliott and 4 former first round draftees among others (would've been 5 if Phil Simms had stayed healthy):

Oates, Bart C
Moore, Eric G
Roberts, William G
Elliott, Jumbo T
Riesenberg, Doug T
Bavaro, Mark TE
Cross, Howard TE
Mrosko, Bob TE
Ingram, Mark WR
Anderson, Ottis RB
Hostetler, Jeff QB

I think silver hit it right on the head. It all starts in the trenches with the OL - that 1990s NY Giants OL was the best Parcells ever assembled to date. Without that protection it doesn't matter how much firepower you have. :shoot3:

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
That's putting him into mighty lofty territory and company.

He still holds most of them in NE, and he took ALL of Jim Kelly's records in Buffalo, so, like it or not, he's probably going to be the main guy in the Cowboys record books for single-season records after this year.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I agree with most people here that our receiving options are better than anything Parcells has had before. However, for the type of offense Parcells likes to have (except when he was with the Patriots), this is not the best offense for his system. For his type of ball control offense, you need an established, good offensive line (which we don't have) and a consistent, durable running back (also something we don't have). I think both the Giants and the Jets fit his offensive mold better.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
on8thdayGodcreatedBledsoe said:
He still holds most of them in NE, and he took ALL of Jim Kelly's records in Buffalo, so, like it or not, he's probably going to be the main guy in the Cowboys record books for single-season records after this year.

Who in either Buffalo OR NE have the accolades that Staubach, Aikman, or even Meredith have? Kelly is the closest in their history. So it isn't like saying that Bledsoe is on the top of two historic franchises or anything.

Hey guess what - Shawn Alexander holds ALL the single season rushing records for Seattle, so if he came here, he would probably eclipse Dorsett and Smith, no?

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Hey guess what - Shawn Alexander holds ALL the single season rushing records for Seattle, so if he came here, he would probably eclipse Dorsett and Smith, no?

Alexander would probably get tackled in the Cowboys' backfield like most of his predecessors.

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Who in either Buffalo OR NE have the accolades that Staubach, Aikman, or even Meredith have? Kelly is the closest in their history. So it isn't like saying that Bledsoe is on the top of two historic franchises or anything.

Look, I am not trying to compare Bledsoe to anyone. I am simply stating the fact that he will probably hold all the franchise single season passing records after this season. If he doesn't win a SB to go with it, then it is meaningless. All the numbers in the world can't compare with a Lombardi. That being said, Bledsoe is one of the league's alltime stat-hounds.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What about the 2001 Cowboys his first year here, they were explosive.