Cut Candidates

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Spotrac has come out with an article that predicts possible cut candidates from each team. After looking at the Cowboys candidates, it appears to be pretty accurate.

We are thin at some positions
https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/roster-bubble-candidates-from-every-nfl-team-764/

Which players from this list entrigues you enough to trade for or claim after being cut?

My list includes:
Shaq Lawson
Kamalei Correa
Miles Killebrew
Dominique Easley
Cyrus Jones
Kevin Dodd

Prime21

Reaction score
Easley seems like the kind of guy we would go after. Highly touted draft prospect that did not live up to expectation. Hope Rod can work some magic. 3 Tech is a need.

We already have too many DEs.

Maybe Jones can come in and Richard can make something of him. We might be happy with our CBs though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Miles Killebrew was a player I hoped they looked at to draft at the time. But I have no idea how he has played. Obviously not all that great if he is a cut candidate.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Cowboys signed Thompson as a FA, along with Hurns. And paid $1.8 million, and would cost us $1 million to. release him.
Then they draft 2 WR, in which one was not needed in Wilson. And trade for Austin, which was a good deal.
That does not make any sense, but then again, it is what this team does.

They signed DB's last year and Carroll was one of them, then draft 4 DB's in the draft.

Well it is Jerry's money, I don't care if he wastes $1 million but that could have gone to a position of need, like a S or DT.
This is not so much about the $1 million in cap space or whatever, it is about using it for player acquisition.

It does create some good competition though. But we also need competition at S & DT.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whichever guys on the list have drug, alcohol or personal problems will be the top candidates, lol.
JK...kinda.

In all seriousness, there will be some excellent talent available before the season starts and there’s a good chance of finding a decent DT or TE to bolster this roster. From the list above Lawson and Easley are intriguing.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So the Cowboys signed Thompson as a FA, along with Hurns. And paid $1.8 million, and would cost us $1 million to. release him.
Then they draft 2 WR, in which one was not needed in Wilson. And trade for Austin, which was a good deal.

They signed DB's last year and Carroll was one of them, then draft 4 DB's in the draft.

Well it is Jerry's money, I don't care if he wastes $1 million but that could have gone to a position of need, like a S or DT.
This is not so much about the $1 million in cap space or whatever, it is about using it for player acquisition.

It does create some good competition though. But we also need competition at S & DT.

I honestly like how we build the team that way.

$1M isn't a big deal, but I'll explain what I mean.

The team goes into the offseason with needs at certain positions. We then identify the strengths of the draft, then sign free agents at those positions while doubling or tripling down on those positions in the draft. (CB in 2016 and WR in 2017). It allows us to get players who would have been drafted a round higher in a normal draft(Lewis & Wilson) at a discount while making setting that position up for years to come. WE NEED TO GET MORE HITS IN FREE AGENCY TO HELP EXPEDITE THE PROCESS. This year we attacked Oline by signing three players and drafting a 4th in the 2nd round. We now have all five starting Oline under contract until 2020. We signed/traded for 3 WRs and then drafted two more with Gallup, Wilson, Hurns, and Brown all under contract for at least two more seasons. We have Jones, Lewis, Awuzie, and Brown under contract for at least two more seasons also.

This past draft was weak at SAF and thats why it wasnt addressed. It's not a perfect system if you dont hit your bridge free agents though.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"We like our guys" is a phrase you will hear from FO. The only exception is a season-ending injury to a starter or a player with some connection to the coaching staff. Otherwise, the list means nothing to Jerry and more so Stephen.

glimmerman

Reaction score

I think we will bring in safeties and definitely DT for competition.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly like how we build the team that way.

$1M isn't a big deal, but I'll explain what I mean.

The team goes into the offseason with needs at certain positions. We then identify the strengths of the draft, then sign free agents at those positions while doubling or tripling down on those positions in the draft. (CB in 2016 and WR in 2017). It allows us to get players who would have been drafted a round higher in a normal draft(Lewis & Wilson) at a discount while making setting that position up for years to come. WE NEED TO GET MORE HITS IN FREE AGENCY TO HELP EXPEDITE THE PROCESS. This year we attacked Oline by signing three players and drafting a 4th in the 2nd round. We now have all five starting Oline under contract until 2020. We signed/traded for 3 WRs and then drafted two more with Gallup, Wilson, Hurns, and Brown all under contract for at least two more seasons. We have Jones, Lewis, Awuzie, and Brown under contract for at least two more seasons also.

This past draft was weak at SAF and thats why it wasnt addressed. It's not a perfect system if you dont hit your bridge free agents though.

And this is very understandable. And I do agree somewhat. But what I was getting at is this.
We drafted and signed DB's in 2017, because the had to. We lost all 4 starters, and had no depth to begin with. They had no choice but to sign FA, then draft more as the way it fell. And I think that ended up pretty good if not great.

However, in 2018, they did not need to sign 2 WR, draft 2 and trade for 1.
But they did need to address the OL after the 2017 disaster there. Signing 2 and drafting 1 was great, it fell the right way.

They needed S and DT, but yet drafted otherwise, then areas needed addressed. Oakland saved us with the trade of a DT for a WR.

Day 1 & 2 were great. Draft day 3 left a lot to be desired, as to other options IMO. Yes Witten's sudden retirement changed things a bit. And then the QB drafted as well. However a WR and RB late in the draft, could have been used on defense. Though I am growing to see what Bo can do. I still have Wilson on the PS, but am really pulling for him and the others to shove TWill off the roster. But I think he will be here another year no matter what.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
"We like our guys" is a phrase you will hear from FO. The only exception is a season-ending injury to a starter or a player with some connection to the coaching staff. Otherwise, the list means nothing to Jerry and more so Stephen.

We love claiming players on waivers.

We did claim Brian Price just last year and tried to claim Kony Ealy as well. Neither had ties to our coaching staff.

Was Datone Jones a claim as well or a minimum contract signing?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And this is very understandable. And I do agree somewhat. But what I was getting at is this.
We drafted and signed DB's in 2017, because the had to. We lost all 4 starters, and had no depth to begin with. They had no choice but to sign FA, then draft more as the way it fell. And I think that ended up pretty good if not great.

However, in 2018, they did not need to sign 2 WR, draft 2 and trade for 1.
But they did need to address the OL after the 2017 disaster there. Signing 2 and drafting 1 was great, it fell the right way.

They needed S and DT, but yet drafted otherwise, then areas needed addressed. Oakland saved us with the trade of a DT for a WR.

Day 1 & 2 were great. Draft day 3 left a lot to be desired, as to other options IMO. Yes Witten's sudden retirement changed things a bit. And then the QB drafted as well. However a WR and RB late in the draft, could have been used on defense. Though I am growing to see what Bo can do. I still have Wilson on the PS, but am really pulling for him and the others to shove TWill off the roster. But I think he will be here another year no matter what.

I didn't like our Day 3 either.
I liked the Wilson and Bo picks just fine, but the rest left much to be desired.