News: CW: Do the Cowboys have enough depth to replace Leighton Vander Esch?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If LVE and Carr hit free agency and leave the Cowboys, the Cowboys' LB depth remains:

Micah Parsons, Damone Clark, Luke Gifford, Jabril Cox and Devin Harper.

The Cowboys still have Malik Jefferson in their practice squad should they ever need to use him. Like the article said, probably need to sign a veteran LB to help lessen the blow of losing 2 starting veteran LBs, or they should look at drafting one this upcoming 2023 draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The team will probably get a low cost older linebacker in free agency and then take a flyer in the draft...Clark and Cox are still at growth stage but have some strong potential.

Jipper

Reaction score
Simple answer is no...we will pick up a mid or low tier FA and likely a couple guys in the draft to fill out...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If LVE and Carr hit free agency and leave the Cowboys, the Cowboys' LB depth remains:

Micah Parsons, Damone Clark, Luke Gifford, Jabril Cox and Devin Harper.

The Cowboys still have Malik Jefferson in their practice squad should they ever need to use him. Like the article said, probably need to sign a veteran LB to help lessen the blow of losing 2 starting veteran LBs, or they should look at drafting one this upcoming 2023 draft.

Let Gifford walk, I think we look to the draft for some help here

John813

Reaction score
I like Clark, but he did have the exact same surgery LVE had for his neck, spinal fusion surgery.
So, if anyone thought the injury/subsequent fusion would hamper LVE, temper your expectations for Clark in a full time role.

IMO they need to have one vet LB on the team, not named Parsons to be a full time traditional LB and have Clark/Cox/draftee prove they need more snaps.
Whether that's LVE, Wagner, other FA, I don't care. But would be one heck of a dice roll to go with Clark/Cox/Draftee as your two traditional LBs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I like Clark, but he did have the exact same surgery LVE had for his neck, spinal fusion surgery.
So, if anyone thought the injury/subsequent fusion would hamper LVE, temper your expectations for Clark in a full time role.

IMO they need to have one vet LB on the team, not named Parsons to be a full time traditional LB and have Clark/Cox/draftee prove they need more snaps.
Whether that's LVE, Wagner, other FA, I don't care. But would be one heck of a dice roll to go with Clark/Cox/Draftee as your two traditional LBs.
If Bobby Wagner would agree to play for the Cowboys on a veteran friendly cheap deal with incentives, that would be golden for the Cowboys.