News: CW: Instant Analysis: Draft experts weigh in on Cowboys' pick Mazi Smith

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It brings up the point about being debated as Porter and Nolan was on the board.
Would fans from the posts I seen, be better with this pick if the Eagles did not pick Nolan?

Creeper

Reaction score
You do not bench press 550 lbs without putting in a lot of work to build up your strength. Of course the weight room isn't everything, but it is a plus for a player to put in the work to improve his strength. It shows self-motivation. It seems like this is not a question with Mazi Smith, but after Jalen Carter showed up to his pro-day overweight and out of shape, it appears it might be a question with him.

MyUserName

Reaction score
Ian Cummings nails it imo.

Is what it is now, gotta ride the horse you saddled. Giddy-up!

RS12

Reaction score
Fans have unrealistic expectations about the 26th pick in the draft. In a typical year there are approximately 18 players with first round grades. Point being the odds are at that position in the draft the player will have some warts and be a second round talent. The good news is I feel Quinn is better at spotting talent and bringing it out than many of his predecessors.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
It brings up the point about being debated as Porter and Nolan was on the board.
Would fans from the posts I seen, be better with this pick if the Eagles did not pick Nolan?
We needed a DT more than we needed a corner. You don’t draft guys in the first round who don’t have a path to starting… or at least being in a rotation

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
JPJ lacks athleticism for the top of the position. He can be a fine CB2 in some schemes but he is unlikely to ever be a special talent.
Nolan Smith is just more of what you have in Dallas with 6 Edge rushers already on the roster with plus athleticism.
Edge would have been a very wasteful way to go for Dallas in R1.
Hoping to hit on a guy by year 3 to end up paying him 25M year by year 6.
Day 1 Nolan Smith would be Edge 4?

I was pretty sure Dallas was picking from a pool of about 6 positions and DT was very much near top of that list.

I might have simply taken Mayer here or traded down but neither Smith nor JPJ would have been strong considerations for me.