Daily News: With win, Giants hoping to put away Cowboys early in NFC East

Reaction score
With win, Giants hoping to put away Cowboys early in NFC East

By RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Giants spent almost all of last season chasing the Dallas Cowboys, and they didn't catch them until their divisional playoff game. Even then, they needed every last play before they finally disposed of their hated rivals.
It'd be a relief if they could put the Cowboys away right now.
GIANTS BIG 4TH QUARTER BEATS STEELERS

"Absolutely," said defensive tackle Barry Cofield. "You want to try and build some space between you and your opponent. And we know that's a team that's going to get some guys back here pretty soon, and likely be playing their best ball at the end of the year. Any kind of cushion we can build right now we'd love to have."
The Giants (6-1) could build a huge cushion over the Cowboys (4-3) with a win on Sunday that would make Dallas an afterthought in the NFC East race.
And now is the time to do it, since the Cowboys have an all-star squad on their injury list, beginning with Tony Romo, out at least another week with a broken pinkie. They also won't have cornerback Terence Newman (sports hernia), running back Felix Jones (hamstring), safety Roy Williams (broken arm) and cornerback Pacman Jones (suspension). And they might be without cornerback Anthony Henry (quad), guard Kyle Kosier (foot) and tight end Jason Witten (broken rib).
That's five starters, their three best cornerbacks, and their first-round draft pick (Jones). "I'd like to beat teams when they're at their best, but I think if we go into this game with the wrong mindset, this could be a very dangerous game for us," said defensive end Justin Tuck. "If we go into this game thinking they're just going to lay down because they don't have their starting quarterback, we're fools. We've definitely got to get our minds right."
Maybe that's why Tom Coughlin's press conference Wednesday sounded like an infomercial for America's Team. He was unusually energetic and seemed like he couldn't wait to tell everybody how good the Cowboys really are.
"I would say this to start off," Coughlin began. "This Dallas team, we all know they are an extremely talented football team. The game that they played last weekend was an outstanding ballgame versus a very, very good Tampa Bay team. As I understand it, it was a game which they called a 'must win' there, and they went out and got it."
He went on to say that Brad Johnson, who apparently is in danger of being replaced by Brooks Bollinger during Sunday's game, "played well" despite throwing for only 122 yards (19 for 33). He called Marion Barber (611 yards on the season) an "outstanding runner" behind "a very, very forceful offensive line." He praised their receivers, said their defensive front seven is "as good as there is in football." He even had kind words for their kicking game, too.
"I know and everybody seems to be like the Giants are going to roll over the Cowboys," Tuck said. "No. This game is going to come down the wire. They have what, 16, 17 Pro Bowlers last year? Or 30?"
Actually, it was 13. The Giants had one.
"Obviously they're missing a few of them," Tuck said. "But they still got a lot of quality football players down there. I really expect them to come in and play their (butts) off."
KIWANUKA HONORED: DE Mathias Kiwanuka, who had three sacks against Pittsburgh, was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week....LB Bryan Kehl (toe) and DT Fred Robbins (hand) did not practice. ... Nine people with ties to the Giants are among the 133 on the preliminary list of nominees for the Hall of Fame: Ottis Anderson, Jessie Armstead, Mark Bavaro, Lomas Brown, Brian Mitchell, Dan Reeves, Phil Simms, Herschel Walker and George Young. The list will be reduced to 25 next month.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2384585 said:
The Giants (6-1) could build a huge cushion over the Cowboys (4-3) with a win on Sunday that would make Dallas an afterthought in the NFC East race.

Nice rag of an article, Ralph Macchio. The Cowboys are 5-3, but of course you couldn't be bothered to fact check that on nfl.com.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we lose we will definetely be walking on Egg Shells the rest of the season.

We will have to go 5-2 down the stretch to get in. Maybe 6-1.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
"It'd be a relief if they could put the Cowboys away right now."

How is this even remotely possible? Who let this guy out of his cage?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
"I know and everybody seems to be like the Giants are going to roll over the Cowboys," Tuck said. "No. This game is going to come down the wire. They have what, 16, 17 Pro Bowlers last year? Or 30?"
Actually, it was 13. The Giants had one.

I love how the Giants still talk about this, its quite funny how angry they were by it.

Hey maybe if you played better Tuck, you'd be in it too. :)

Primetime42

Reaction score
Even if we lose the game, we're far from out.

4 losses isn't killer at this point.

But make no mistake, I want that win.

Reaction score
CATCH17;2384616 said:

Not out of the question especially with guys getting healthy!

18and1

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2384645 said:

Be fair. He wasn't starting last year and only played in certain formations/situations. He had a great year by that standard.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CATCH17;2384616 said:

Here are our remaining games:

Sun, Nov 2@ New York Giants (FOX)3:15 PM L 5-4

Sun, Nov 9BYE 5-4

Sun, Nov 16@ Washington (NBC)7:15 PM W 6-4

http://campaign.dallascowboys.com/maximumsports_schedule_links.cfmSun, Nov 23SAN FRANCISCO (FOX) W 7-4

Thurs, Nov 27SEATTLE (FOX) 3:15 PM W 8-4

http://www.dallascowboys.com/tickets/tickets.cfmSun, Dec 7@ Pittsburgh (FOX)3:15 PM L 8-5

http://campaign.dallascowboys.com/maximumsports_schedule_links.cfmSun, Dec 14NEW YORK GIANTS (NBC) 7:15 PM W 9-5

http://www.dallascowboys.com/tickets/tickets.cfmSat, Dec 20BALTIMORE (NFLN & KDAF33) 7:15 PM W 10-5

Sun, Dec 28@ Philadelphia (FOX)NOON L 10-6

Even if we do lose to the Giants, if we split the rest of our games with the NFC East and lose to Pittsburg, we will still finish at 10-6. That should but us in position to win at least a wild card. I haven't looked at the other top teams in the league to project a fair W-L record.

So we just need to win the games we should win and we still should make the playoffs.

If we don't split with the East then we could be in trouble esp if we lose this game.

It's up to the team.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2384645 said:
I love how the Giants still talk about this, its quite funny how angry they were by it.

Which is odd because I would trade 13 pro bowlers and no playoff wins for 1 pro bowler and super bowl win.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Every time some Giant cries about the Probowl thing it makes me lose more and more respect for their players. Stop being a bunch of crying *****es and just play ball. They got the only accolade that mattered last year does the pro bowl thing really matter that much?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
18and1;2385238 said:
Be fair. He wasn't starting last year and only played in certain formations/situations. He had a great year by that standard.

18and1 is right. The guy was behind Osi and Strahan and with what chances he got he capitalized. He's a dynamic player.

If we lose we go to 5-4 and the season isn't over but what an uphill battle it would be. We'd have to go 5-2 the rest of the way to be 10-6. That's with us playing Washington on the road, Pittsburgh, Giants and Philly on the road. Baltimore is in there too meaning we would have to go 2-2 in those 4 tough games at least and win out all other games that does include Baltimore.

That Rams game hurt us big and pretty much forces us to win this game. Just because we aren't saying it as a team, this is a must win game as much as last weeks. I'm telling you all, we better play this game like we're 0-15 and it's the last game of the season. If we get to 6-3 we can start talking about a playoff run. If we get to 5-4 things are much more bleak than we are being let onto whether we get all those players back or not. We'd have to almost run the table against some top notch teams and stay injury free from out. Not good odds. Once again, we need this win.