Twitter: Dak Notes, CBA, Franchise Tag, etc

ShortRound

Reaction score

Sorry for wall of text, but you can follow the tweet thread to see this all.

===

The team never wanted to invoke the franchise tag, and still don’t, but will as a placeholder if need be — giving them until mid-July to work out an extension with the franchise QB.

One sticking point is the team wants a longer termed deal beyond four or five years.. (cont.)

But Prescott wants financial concessions to make that worth accepting, seeing as he might not then be able to land one more big money reup under the new CBA (assuming it lands as expected). Otherwise, he’d take the more traditional 4-5 year agreement... (cont’d)...

The #Cowboys don’t want to revisit this in 2023, though. And especially not if he has a SB win by then. I expect an AAS on a traditional extension to touch down b/t $37M-$40M range — less if years are added & agreed upon (but then likely more guaranteed

Avoiding the tag is win-win, b/c it: 1. Guarantees Prescott is present for ALL offseason conditioning & the acclimation to Mike McCarthy’s offensive installations (extremely important) because, yes, it’s expected Prescott will remain absent w/ if no l/t in place. Cont’d.

2. It leaves the franchise tag free for Amari Cooper, who is currently much farther behind in contract talks than is Prescott. While true they have access to both tags in 2020, they’d like to use a trickle-down effect... (Cont’d.)

And have the latter available for Byron Jones in the event they determine using it is the right course of action (it would help determine market value). They want to keep Jones, but I’m told it doesn’t nearly equal how badly they’d like to keep Robert Quinn... (Cont’d)

===
He goes on about DB's, Quinn, etc.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
37-40m?

No way I pay him that.
Tag him and draft another qb.
We cannot win with dak taking up that much cap room

snapper

Reaction score
Concerning Cooper, I'd tag him. If, for any reason CeeDee Lamb drops to 17, the Cowboys take him and remove the tag from Cooper. Lamb > Cooper.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Concerning Cooper, I'd tag him. If, for any reason CeeDee Lamb drops to 17, the Cowboys take him and remove the tag from Cooper. Lamb > Cooper.
Lamb and Jeudy will be gone well before they pick. They could get Ruggs, who will be the fastest player at the Combine. He's Tyreek "the Terrible" Hill fast.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Sorry for wall of text, but you can follow the tweet thread to see this all.

===

The team never wanted to invoke the franchise tag, and still don’t, but will as a placeholder if need be — giving them until mid-July to work out an extension with the franchise QB.

One sticking point is the team wants a longer termed deal beyond four or five years.. (cont.)

But Prescott wants financial concessions to make that worth accepting, seeing as he might not then be able to land one more big money reup under the new CBA (assuming it lands as expected). Otherwise, he’d take the more traditional 4-5 year agreement... (cont’d)...

The #Cowboys don’t want to revisit this in 2023, though. And especially not if he has a SB win by then. I expect an AAS on a traditional extension to touch down b/t $37M-$40M range — less if years are added & agreed upon (but then likely more guaranteed

Avoiding the tag is win-win, b/c it: 1. Guarantees Prescott is present for ALL offseason conditioning & the acclimation to Mike McCarthy’s offensive installations (extremely important) because, yes, it’s expected Prescott will remain absent w/ if no l/t in place. Cont’d.

2. It leaves the franchise tag free for Amari Cooper, who is currently much farther behind in contract talks than is Prescott. While true they have access to both tags in 2020, they’d like to use a trickle-down effect... (Cont’d.)

And have the latter available for Byron Jones in the event they determine using it is the right course of action (it would help determine market value). They want to keep Jones, but I’m told it doesn’t nearly equal how badly they’d like to keep Robert Quinn... (Cont’d)

===
He goes on about DB's, Quinn, etc.

@Rockport
You wanted something on if the team, or Dak wants a longer deal...
Well here's something. I'll never say anything is concrete until it's concrete, but it's something.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
@Rockport
You wanted something on if the team, or Dak wants a longer deal...
Well here's something. I'll never say anything is concrete until it's concrete, but it's something.
Yes I saw that. Looks like both want a long term deal if the long term deal is good for both.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The Cowboys know the cap is going up so they obviously want a long term deal. But wanting Dak to sign for more than 5 years before that happens is asking too much. If that’s the sticking point I agree with Dak, unless he’s turning down huge money (> $35 million/year).