Recap: Dak Prescott interview on Mike & Mike 2/3/17

tyke1doe

Reaction score
With trophy in hand for winning the Pepsi Rookie of the Year award, Dak had a great interview with Mike & Mike this morning.
As always, he represented the Cowboys very well. As we all know, the kid is beyond his years.

I was in my car, so no direct quotes. I'm sure much of this is stuff we have heard already, but I thought maybe some here would enjoy it anyway.

Here is some of what was discussed:

• You hear of players passed over in the draft and a lot of them use that as fire going forward. Going so late in the draft, does Dak feel that?
Laughs. Says that he knows 134 players and 7 QBs went before him and he'll never forget it.
Mike and Mike laughing and saying...guess that's a yes. lol

• How does Dak explain his success?
We all know this answer--he said constant preparation was the key for him. He is calm and confident when he is prepared. And the other obvious point was that he was surrounded by Pro Bowl level players on offense.

• They know a lot of people helped him, but what about just being a pro?
Dak said right from the start it was far and away Witten, and then Lee. That he never wanted to disappoint them and could always watch how they approached every day as a model on how he should do it. Absolute pros. He also gave Linehan a bunch of credit, as well as Travis Frederick.

• They mentioned that few rookies have ever stepped into a better situation with the Oline, RB, and other weapons.
As usual, Dak fully acknowledged how blessed he was to land in Dallas with especially this offensive line and Zeke. That he always was facing loaded boxes and his job was simpler because he could just go through normal progressions and just execute--as the WRs were one on one. He said that every team they face focuses on Zeke. He said he flet healthier after his fiorst pro year than in college because of the protection. He also mentioned each WR...and Dez a couple of times.

• What were some examples of challenges/adjustments going from college to pro.
Dak said the worst part was the complexity of calling the plays (after being told by Linehan) in the huddle. Dak said that it was just really hard, but by Friday he'd have it down each week. He said Tuesdays were rough, but studying the play names and formation all week would get him there before the game. He also said when in doubt the "genius" was Frederick..and that he shared responsibly with him at the line of scrimmage....and Freddy never got it wrong.

• Was the offense tailored to his stregths like it is with most rookies.
They would figure out what his strengths a weaknesses were and tailor the game plan toward that. As the year went on, he could give Linehan more input on what he felt comfortable with and not. Linehan was fantastic, according to Dak, in communicating everything in a way that could be effective.

• With the unusual way he came into the position and with how successful Tony Romo had been, how weird was that being around Tony?
He said he can never say enough or thank Romo enough for how professional and gracious he was and is. he said not one single time did he not seem sincere and honest with his relationship with him on and off the field. No hint ever of being negative and always helpful while not trying to impose. He said he has helped him greatly on and off the field, in and out of practice. He gave some examples.

• Asked if it was just weird coming into the position that way, in Dak's mind.
Dak kind of waxed spiritual here--he said for some reason things throughout his life have happened certain ways that end up preparing him for what's ahead. He said that, oddly, he had come into the starting QB job both in high school and in college after the starter got injured. Instead of worrying about how and why, he said he would just see it as an opportunity and go with it.

Well done Dak!:flagwave:
Great recap. :clap:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Um .. no.
free-sarcasm.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
Nothing against those that took some convincing, but I'm proud to have supported Dak wearing the star long before we turned our card in with his name on it.

So far, he's been everything I hoped he would be.
Good call.

BTW, I had us drafting him in our mocks and also in the game where we pick players we think Dallas will draft.

But where I (and almost everyone else) was wrong was underestimating where he should have been drafted.

I guess anyone who had said on draft day he was worth a 1st or 2nd rounder really deserves some kudos. That would've been some one who really understood how good he was.
Most us had him in the 3rd-5th rounds.

Then there were those, going back to the actual draft thread that thought taking him was a completely wasted pick. yikes

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is going to be the longest off season ever......and I'll be flying out for TC where ever it is!

1 year to our next super bowl.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is some sarcasm that is so obvious, even changing the font is a waste of a good font

Not really given there are a ton of stupid people out there. It's not like it is unheard of for someone to say something stupid and then claim they were only kidding to cover it up.

In the social circles I have been around, it is considered condescending (re: insulting) to deadpan sarcastic remarks. It is done with a drawl to indicate that sarcasm is taking place so as to avoid that.

vlad

Reaction score
This talk about him stepping into a dream situation is annoying. Yes, he stepped into a really good/great situation, but then why do even veterans with similar good fortune not have the same level of success. At some point give the man his due

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Not really given there are a ton of stupid people out there. It's not like it is unheard of for someone to say something stupid and then claim they were only kidding to cover it up.

In the social circles I have been around, it is considered condescending (re: insulting) to deadpan sarcastic remarks. It is done with a drawl to indicate that sarcasm is taking place so as to avoid that.
Ron-Burgundy-Confused-Look-and-Smile-Conan.gif