Dak Prescott or Trey Lance? Part II: Best-case scenario for the Cowboys

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So, do you think Dak will hold the Cowboys hostage until they extend him?
There's a possibility, including that he does the minimum to get paid and free wheels the season as the contract runs down. If we get to the season and there's still no sign of a contract extension, is it in either Cowboys or Dak interest to play at 100% (in a season, with the reset and the limited spending and tough schedule).

There's a lot of avenues that this could go down, made more complex due to the last negotiation going so badly (for Jerry) and the inner working and priorities of his mind.....indeed we dont even know if all this is all a negotiating tactic, or whether Jerry doesnt want him (unless its a very team friendly).

We arent even certain on whether Jerry would actually Post-June cut him (SAVING $29M in 2024 SALARY, BUT GETTING NO RETURN and SEEING 'HIS' DRAFTED QB PLAYING FOR SOMEONE ELSE AND BEATING HIM IN TWO NEGOTIATIONS).

But if it gets to your scenario below......
Once he understands the Cowboys are moving on from him, he will be more amicable to a trade that the Cowboys negotiate.
Dak may well say "no thank you", i'll make you cut me and i'll find my own team (and on better terms as they fork out draft compensation) ......but thanks for doing the ground work on which teams may be interested. of the contract, which he'd I dont want the trade.... "oh and by the way, thank you for indicating which teams.

I dont think Jerry wants to be seen making the cut, as it'll include a PR hit, especially from the Pro-Dak fanbase......but he doesnt want to give him up for nothing, so the option is keep him on the roster, bench him and hope to find a trade partner in the season.....one injury to a QB on a team that's competing will bring back a haul.

How this pans out is like who shot JR everything's a possibility (atm).

Yes, post draft we'll be able to see which of the viable (2024) teams miss out on a drafted QB (Vikings, Raiders, Bronco's) and MAY be interested in trading. Then it's an issue whether Jerry is strong enough (or even inclined) to threaten to cut Dak (Post-June).....and what the response would be if Dak faces losing out on his $29m 2024 salary. Would Jerry take the PR hit from Pro-Dak fanbase over saving $29m in salary, or is Dak prepared to forsake $29m in 2024 salary (of the teams that may be interest in him on a one year is the Raiders and they only have $18m CAP Space).

Why? You're not factoring in that: a) his present contract pays him a 2024 salary of $29m, he's not giving that up, especially as the highest CAP available of the probable trade partners is the Raiders with $18 b) he's not going to trade and sign an extension, he's probably going to wait for free agency, so that France can play the market.

If, after the draft, we tell Dak, if you dont sign for $x we're Post-June Cutting you......im sure the first thing that

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Dak Prescott's dream is to be the starting QB for the entire season and have a good run.

Trey Lance's dream is to move up the depth chart to become the number 2 guy behind Prescott.

Both have a lot of work to do. A whole lot.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak is a good average qb, who falls apart when the games become big.
Trey, nobody has seen him play for 8 years yet, so lets hate him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak can't force a contract extension. Once he understands the Cowboys are moving on from him, he will be more amicable to a trade that the Cowboys negotiate.
I hope so. But other considerations are, who would trade for him on a one year deal? And what could the Cowboys realistically expect to get?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
So, do you think Dak will hold the Cowboys hostage until they extend him?
No.

Dallas can always cut him.

But Jerry wants picks.

Dak is never getting another contract from Jerry.

Dak made Jerry man-cry on TV.

If anyone holds a grudge, it’s Jerry Jones.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I hope so. But other considerations are, who would trade for him on a one year deal? And what could the Cowboys realistically expect to get?
....and can we see Jerry going through with cutting Dak (post June)?? On the one hand he'll save $29m on Dak's salary, but he'll be forced to see the QB 'he' drafted walking away for nothing.
I get the feeling Jerry doesn't want the optic of him being responsible for Dak leaving, I bet he'd prefer to put the 'blame' on Dak making the decision.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No.

But Jerry wants picks.

As I mentioned above I think Jerry is afraid of making a decision, based on his faith in Dak being severly shaken by GB.
His ideal scenario is getting a long term (below market price) contract, if he cant get that done, then trading him.
What Dak wants .... the word 'necessarily' (followed by laugh) on the not wanting 'market setting' comment. I bet its Dallas, due to commercial opportunities and that France knows how to play Jerry (and that Jerry will capitulate in the end).
Jerry isn't poking the bear .... I don't think he's even mentioned Post-June?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There's a possibility, including that he does the minimum to get paid and free wheels the season as the contract runs down. If we get to the season and there's still no sign of a contract extension, is it in either Cowboys or Dak interest to play at 100% (in a season, with the reset and the limited spending and tough schedule).

There's a lot of avenues that this could go down, made more complex due to the last negotiation going so badly (for Jerry) and the inner working and priorities of his mind.....indeed we dont even know if all this is all a negotiating tactic, or whether Jerry doesnt want him (unless its a very team friendly).

We arent even certain on whether Jerry would actually Post-June cut him (SAVING $29M in 2024 SALARY, BUT GETTING NO RETURN and SEEING 'HIS' DRAFTED QB PLAYING FOR SOMEONE ELSE AND BEATING HIM IN TWO NEGOTIATIONS).

Dak may well say "no thank you", i'll make you cut me and i'll find my own team (and on better terms as they fork out draft compensation) ......but thanks for doing the ground work on which teams may be interested. of the contract, which he'd I dont want the trade.... "oh and by the way, thank you for indicating which teams.

I dont think Jerry wants to be seen making the cut, as it'll include a PR hit, especially from the Pro-Dak fanbase......but he doesnt want to give him up for nothing, so the option is keep him on the roster, bench him and hope to find a trade partner in the season.....one injury to a QB on a team that's competing will bring back a haul.

Yes, post draft we'll be able to see which of the viable (2024) teams miss out on a drafted QB (Vikings, Raiders, Bronco's) and MAY be interested in trading. Then it's an issue whether Jerry is strong enough (or even inclined) to threaten to cut Dak (Post-June).....and what the response would be if Dak faces losing out on his $29m 2024 salary. Would Jerry take the PR hit from Pro-Dak fanbase over saving $29m in salary, or is Dak prepared to forsake $29m in 2024 salary (of the teams that may be interest in him on a one year is the Raiders and they only have $18m CAP Space).

Why? You're not factoring in that: a) his present contract pays him a 2024 salary of $29m, he's not giving that up, especially as the highest CAP available of the probable trade partners is the Raiders with $18 b) he's not going to trade and sign an extension, he's probably going to wait for free agency, so that France can play the market.

If, after the draft, we tell Dak, if you dont sign for $x we're Post-June Cutting you......im sure the first thing that
if this is the last year of contract, my expectations are the player is going to ball out to get his next big contract and probably the last big contract given his age.
I don't see him doing the minimum. this usually happens to all the players in their contract year.
Jerry and stephen have cornered themselves. the only way they can get out of it is to let Dak walk. claim rebuild and buy a couple of years. probably sign a big name coach after MM is gone (lame duck coach).

this is a lame duck year. for everyone in cowboys organization.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
What if Trey and Dak see how inept the front office is and move on, causing CeeDee to follow and Micah doing the same?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
if this is the last year of contract, my expectations are the player is going to ball out to get his next big contract and probably the last big contract given his age.
I don't see him doing the minimum. this usually happens to all the players in their contract year.
Jerry and stephen have cornered themselves. the only way they can get out of it is to let Dak walk. claim rebuild and buy a couple of years. probably sign a big name coach after MM is gone (lame duck coach).

this is a lame duck year. for everyone in cowboys organization.
Fair post. When I say 'doing the minimum', I can't seeing him going the extra mile, on a team that's not going to be challenging. The risk of injury, or being a hero....for little chance of success would indicate that he'd go through the motion.....indeed there's going to be two rookies/1 year experienced O-Line men in front of him, he may spend the season in self preservation mode.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Fair post. When I say 'doing the minimum', I can't seeing him going the extra mile, on a team that's not going to be challenging. The risk of injury, or being a hero....for little chance of success would indicate that he'd go through the motion.....indeed there's going to be two rookies/1 year experienced O-Line men in front of him, he may spend the season in self preservation mode.
Chuma is going to get him killed if he is the LT.

Aven8

Reaction score
Hopefully Lance turns into Love 2.0. A long shot but you never know.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
No.

But Jerry wants picks.

Dak Prescott knows he’ll be a starting quarterback for an NFL team in 2025 and be paid a tremendous amount of money. He also knows he controls any trade scenario. There is nothing Jerry Jones can do to change those two facts. Jerry Jones can hold a grudge for any thing he wants to hold a grudge over, but he does not hold any advantage over Dak Prescott. I’m sure Jerry Jones is smart enough to understand the current circumstances in deference to Dak Prescott. He’ll make the best of them for his football team, like any owner would, and make responsible decisions on Prescott at the appropriate time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Wow :facepalm: