Reaction score
Going in to the '08 draft the Cowboys had eight(8) picks and needs for:
1) CB
2) WR
3) RB
4) OL
5) LB

The Cowboys drafted the following players:

F Jones, RB - M Jenkins, CB - M Bennett, TE- T Choice, RB - O Scandrick, CB - E Waldin, DE

That's six(6) players, they also picked up two(2) '09 picks (3rd & 4th). That's eight for eight in total chances. However the only addressed two(2) needs, CB & RB.

Here's my two days of heaven & hell!

RB
I threw my remote and dropped my drink when Mendenhall's name wasn't called. "What are they thinking!" was what I was yelling! F Jones isn't going to be a starter BUT Mendenhall wouldn't have been either. So after cooling down and REALLY thinking about it, "F Jones SHOULD be a better fit. I'm not sure about being a better RB but better fit." is what was I was thinking.

CB
After calming down and looking at the board and picks between #22 and #28 I said "Jenkins, Cason and Flowers are still there and only SD might take a CB, YES!!" Then I said "What did they just do that for! Just gave those two picks away!" So after getting over giving two picks away, I was elated with the first two picks - F Jones & Jenkins.

TE
"That's what I thought JERRY! Do you believe them now." Is what was going thru my mind when Bennett's name was called. TE was NOT a need until you traded Fasano thinking the Cardinals, Lions or Bengals would trade us a WR. EVEN after, for the last week, they were all saying they weren't trading a WR and turning down other offers. "At least you covered up your Dumb Arse mistake with someone worth having! IDOIT!"

After Day one "Not to bad! Three top notch players, even tho I think we lost two picks and had to pick a player we didn't need last weekend - B+"

"Trade, what did we get? We still don't have a WR. We do still have the first pick in round 4 and picked up a '09 4th tho"

"Trade, what did we get? We still don't have a WR. We still have #104 tho."

"Trade, what did we get? We still don't have a WR. We still have #111 tho."

"Trade, what did we get? We still don't have a WR. A '09 3rd, maybe we can get a WR then!"

"Let me guess, TRADE? NO GREAT a pick, but what WR's are left?"

RB

Smiling first thought in my mind was "good pick in case MB3 walks or can't play" Second thought was "hold on, if MB3 walks or can't play, I would rather have Mendenhall over a F Jones - Choice combo" Next thought was "I hope his knee is good now." THEN it hit me "STILL NO WR, What is going on!"

"There's our pick for PacMan, I HOPE HE PLAYS! Love this pick tho ..... heheh."

CB
"Trade cool, O Scandrick who's he?" After looking him up "Looks good but now we have about 15 DB's and NO WR's, JERRY!"

"Trade, what did we get? Our next pick is what 5(163)"

"Why not pick someone like O Schmitt here, OMG another *** TRADE!"

"Trade, Trade, Trade, No don't pick!"

DE
"E Walden, DE - YES!! not a WR. Who cares"

"..... I don't care what we do the rest of this round or the next ..... I'm going outside to go cut the grass!"

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take two aspirin.

You will feel better in the morning.

More importantly, maybe you will realize how wrong you are.

COfWaBnOY

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2059896 said:
Take two aspirin.

You will feel better in the morning.

More importantly, maybe you will realize how wrong you are.

I did already.

How am I wrong?

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score

We took our weakest spot on the team last year and turned it into our bigest strength this year, anytime you can do that fro a 13-3 team, you did a great job!

We had needs for a W.R., but with none going in round 1, clearly this W.R. class wasn't that good, and the time we picked in round 2, there simply wans't a W.R. worthy of picking JUST to pick one!

We cam trhough in SPADES, we got the Dynamic home run hitter in Jones and a great #2 in Choice! A+

O-line was NOT A NEED!

L.B. DEFINATELY was not a NEED!
Our 4 I.L.B. posiitons are FILLED with James/Thomas as starters with Burnett and Carpenter as backups and O.L.B. we have 4 spots on our roster, and three of them are Ware/Ellis/Spencer.
So 7 of our 8 L.B.'s we'll be going into next year are already filled, so I have NO IDEA how L.B. is a NEED!

In the end, we did what we should fo did, get GREAT VALUE with each pick and don't REACH for a NEED PICK, which we would of done had we taken a W.R. JUST TO TAKE ONE, isn't this what we wanted?
We didnt' want a future Shante Carver or Kavika Pittman JUST to fill a NEED did we?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I disagree that TE was not a need. Just like the Felix Jones pick Bennett provides a lot of versitility he is a solid blocker in the running game and he is athletic enough to split out and makes plays in the passing game.

How are defenses going to match up with us when Witten, Bennett and Felix are in the game? We could bring it in tight and run it or go empty and spread them out with 5 capable recieving threats.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Doomsday;2059980 said:
I disagree that TE was not a need. Just like the Felix Jones pick Bennett provides a lot of versitility he is a solid blocker in the running game and he is athletic enough to split out and makes plays in the passing game.

How are defenses going to match up with us when Witten, Bennett and Felix are in the game? We could bring it in tight and run it or go empty and spread them out with 5 capable recieving threats.

Shhh...stop making sense and being all logical and stuff. We are supposed to be whining like the rest.

gmsquid

Reaction score
WR is not a need this year - it is next year. Any injury ruins a team. If the Pats lose Randy Moss they are done, just like if the Boys lose T.O. You just cross your fingers it won't happen. With Owens, Crayton and Witten we had a prolific passing offense last year. Hopefully we will again this year. This time if Glenn is good and healthy, and improvement in Hurd and Austin, we look good at WR.

Bigdog

Reaction score
the texans were ahead of the Cowboys 26 and were going to take Jenkins. It was a brilliant trade to jump ahead of them and the Chargers to get one of the best Cb in the draft who many experts thought would go higher. Many of the draft analysts reported that they did not give up much. Great trade.