News: Dallas Cowboys: Dak Prescott Could Be Quarterback Steal of Draft

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Stephen Forsha
May 1st, 2016

As for the day three selections by the Cowboys, let’s take a closer look at the selection of Prescott, as it is a very good value pick for the franchise. It is to be assumed Prescott will have time to learn and build into a possible heir apparent to current starting quarterback Tony Romo, who is 36 years old and coming off a couple injuries last year that cost him basically the entire season, plus the rest of the Cowboys quarterback depth chart, which includes Kellen Moore.

Prescott is a 6-2, 230-pound quarterback from Mississippi State who has a 5.4 grade by NFL.com, and a player the Cowboys seemed to really want to have on their team since the NFL Combine. At the February combine, Prescott ran a 4.79 40-yard dash, with a 32.5 inch vertical jump, a top performer broad jump of 116 inches and his three-cone drill time was 7.11.

Prescott plays like he’s on his way to becoming pro-ready sooner rather than later and should most likely be in the running to be the top backup for Romo this season, a spot on the roster that became very important last season as the Cowboys won just one game without Romo on the field.

As for the value of Prescott, getting him in round four, this is a steal. He had a third-round grade by some draft experts.

Of all the quarterbacks in this draft, I honestly believe Prescott can eventually compete at just as high a level as those selected before him if given the proper coaching and reps this offseason. Plus, he’s joining an offense that is pretty solid with one of the best offensive lines in the league, a star wide receiver in Dez Bryant, and like mentioned before, he shouldn’t have to be “the guy” from day one.

(rest here....)
http://nflspinzone.com/2016/05/01/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-quarterback-steal-draft/

Pokes12

Reaction score
Stephen Forsha
May 1st, 2016

As for the day three selections by the Cowboys, let’s take a closer look at the selection of Prescott, as it is a very good value pick for the franchise. It is to be assumed Prescott will have time to learn and build into a possible heir apparent to current starting quarterback Tony Romo, who is 36 years old and coming off a couple injuries last year that cost him basically the entire season, plus the rest of the Cowboys quarterback depth chart, which includes Kellen Moore.

Prescott is a 6-2, 230-pound quarterback from Mississippi State who has a 5.4 grade by NFL.com, and a player the Cowboys seemed to really want to have on their team since the NFL Combine. At the February combine, Prescott ran a 4.79 40-yard dash, with a 32.5 inch vertical jump, a top performer broad jump of 116 inches and his three-cone drill time was 7.11.

Prescott plays like he’s on his way to becoming pro-ready sooner rather than later and should most likely be in the running to be the top backup for Romo this season, a spot on the roster that became very important last season as the Cowboys won just one game without Romo on the field.

As for the value of Prescott, getting him in round four, this is a steal. He had a third-round grade by some draft experts.

Of all the quarterbacks in this draft, I honestly believe Prescott can eventually compete at just as high a level as those selected before him if given the proper coaching and reps this offseason. Plus, he’s joining an offense that is pretty solid with one of the best offensive lines in the league, a star wide receiver in Dez Bryant, and like mentioned before, he shouldn’t have to be “the guy” from day one.

(rest here....)
http://nflspinzone.com/2016/05/01/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-quarterback-steal-draft/
Funny how the draft experts only gave Dak a third round grade. So much for "experts"..all the BS that they speak about as if they really know something and we see Brady at 6 and Dak at 4.

marchetta

Reaction score
Funny how the draft experts only gave Dak a third round grade. So much for "experts"..all the BS that they speak about as if they really know something and we see Brady at 6 and Dak at 4.

Dak Prescott QB Mississippi St

STRENGTHS
Dak might be one of the most improved quarterbacks in this draft. He shows on film a strong arm with the athletic talents to extend plays. He stands strong in the pocket under adverse situations and when he throws in rhythm, he shows the type of accuracy needed to be successful for the next level. Dak has good leadership skills and has the respect of his teammates and coaches. He has been under center, but seems to work better in a shotgun offense. Dak reminds me a lot of Geno Smith when he came out and has a lot of the same talents and ability but unlike Geno, Dak seems to be more attuned to the needs of the NFL in the style of play they want in their quarterbacks. Dak has been working very hard for the last few years to make more plays from the pocket with accuracy and the type of throws that the NFL expects from its starting quarterbacks. Dak’s potential to lead and learn are his dominating attributes.

CONCERNS
Dak has improved every year but still struggles with his accuracy when he is on the run, accuracy when coming off his primary receivers and accuracy on the deep ball when he has to put air under his passes. He also seems to go to his check down receiver too late and holds on to the ball too long waiting for receivers to get completely open. When he breaks the pocket, he doesn’t look to pass the ball and when he runs the ball, he looks for contact instead of protecting himself. In spite of all these important issues, Dak has improved and I suspect will continue to improve because he seems to be very coachable.

TALENT BOARD: ROUND 2
Dak may take some time to develop but I think that time will be well spent. He has the ability to take what he learns in practice on to the field and he also has this innate need to win no matter what it takes. Dak doesn’t have to be the star of the game. He doesn’t have to make the big play, but he does have to win. You are correct in thinking that when Dak is losing he reverts back to that “athletic” quarterback who will take off and run the ball instead of standing in the pocket and making plays, but every time I have watched Dak play this year he only reverts back to that style of play after he has tried very hard all game long to play from the pocket and it just hasn’t brought the expected success. Dak has improved his play from the pocket every year. He still has a lot to learn about the passing game, but this kid is a sponge and without a doubt has shown that he is willing to learn. I would think those teams like the Bills, Seahawks, Eagles, or any other team that believes that athletic quarterbacks are not the scourge of the NFL will rate Dak higher than those who think otherwise. If you’re looking for a potential starting quarterback to develop, I think selecting Dak would be very smart. The truth is every team in this draft should be looking at drafting Dak and not just the teams with conventional offenses and boring offensive coordinators.
- Drew Boylhart

BTW, He ranked Dak the 3rd best QB in the draft (1 - Lynch, 2 - Goff, 3 - Dak, 4 - Wentz)

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Like many said before the draft. Drafting a qb is a crapshoot. Very few can't miss prospects exist. We did get lucky with Dak, but the team also showed a lot of interest predraft. I wonder if the DUI make them move some of the others above him. Doesn't matter now. We have him and we like him. A lot.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Did anyone notice at the bottom of that article was a "broke stars" link and that **tch Cris Carter was crying in a pic?

Wonder if he's broke and if so he deserves it for being such a little **tch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like many said before the draft. Drafting a qb is a crapshoot. Very few can't miss prospects exist. We did get lucky with Dak, but the team also showed a lot of interest predraft. I wonder if the DUI make them move some of the others above him. Doesn't matter now. We have him and we like him. A lot.
I think the coaches (Linehan and Wilson) would have drafted Dak earlier if they were making the decisions, but the scouting department had him rated as a 4th round pick.

On their leaked draft board there was 1 QB that they had just above Dak that was still available but they took Dak. My guess is that is because of the push from the coaches.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

Expert doesn't mean perfect.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the coaches (Linehan and Wilson) would have drafted Dak earlier if they were making the decisions, but the scouting department had him rated as a 4th round pick.

On their leaked draft board there was 1 QB that they had just above Dak that was still available but they took Dak. My guess is that is because of the push from the coaches.
Driskell right?