Dallas Cowboys's Chaplin resigns

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Mod.....I am not sure if this is the right forum.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-pastor-quits-10-000-161702933.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Dallas pastor quits 10,000-member megachurch he has led for nearly 50 years after committing ‘sin’​

Joe Sommerlad
Thu, June 13, 2024 at 12:17 PM EDT

A Texas megachurch pastor has suddenly announced he is stepping down from the institution he helped build after 48 years of preaching, saying only that he has fallen short of the “absolute supreme standard of truth” he aimed to live “due to sin.”

Evangelist Dr Tony Evans, 74, the first Black person to earn a doctorate of theology from Dallas Theological Seminary, founded the Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in South Dallas in 1976 with his friend, the Reverend Crawford Loritts, according to NBC DFW.

Originally from Baltimore, Evans began the church in the living room of the house he shared with his late first wife Lois, starting out with Bible study sessions for just 10 worshippers.

Over the next half-century, Oak Cliff’s attendance swelled to 10,000 and the fellowship now boasts more than 100 ministries, with the pastor himself well known as a radio personality for his syndicated show The Alternative with Dr Tony Evans and for serving as chaplain to the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks.

tunahelper

Reaction score

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-pastor-quits-10-000-161702933.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Dallas pastor quits 10,000-member megachurch he has led for nearly 50 years after committing ‘sin’​

Joe Sommerlad

A Texas megachurch pastor has suddenly announced he is stepping down from the institution he helped build after 48 years of preaching, saying only that he has fallen short of the “absolute supreme standard of truth” he aimed to live “due to sin.”

Evangelist Dr Tony Evans, 74, the first Black person to earn a doctorate of theology from Dallas Theological Seminary, founded the Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in South Dallas in 1976 with his friend, the Reverend Crawford Loritts, according to NBC DFW.

Originally from Baltimore, Evans began the church in the living room of the house he shared with his late first wife Lois, starting out with Bible study sessions for just 10 worshippers.

Over the next half-century, Oak Cliff’s attendance swelled to 10,000 and the fellowship now boasts more than 100 ministries, with the pastor himself well known as a radio personality for his syndicated show The Alternative with Dr Tony Evans and for serving as chaplain to the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks.
Of course the bank accounts will remain under his control.

RoboQB

Reaction score
It's gotten so bad in JerryWorld that they've lost the church. There's no hope at all now...lol/jk

triplets_93

Reaction score

Joe Sommerlad

I think that Yahoo title is misleading. The NBC article you link to has the full statement from Tony Evans:

Dr. Evans’s Statement to the Church on June 9, 2024

It has been my glorious joy and privilege to serve as your senior pastor over these last 48 years. I praise God for giving me the opportunity to witness his hand of power and blessing that took 10 people in a house and brought us to where we are today. This journey has been filled with a multitude of joys and sorrows, successes and failures, mountains and valleys, but God has always been there to see us through. None of this would have been possible without the love and support of my family, our great team of leaders, staff, and kingdom servants who have supported me throughout the years.

The foundation of our ministry has always been our commitment to the Word of God as the absolute supreme standard of truth to which we are to conform our lives. When we fall short of that standard due to sin, we are required to repent and restore our relationship with God. A number of years ago, I fell short of that standard. I am, therefore, required to apply the same biblical standard of repentance and restoration to myself that I have applied to others. I have shared this with my wife, my children, and our church elders, and they have lovingly placed their arms of grace around me. While I have committed no crime, I did not use righteous judgment in my actions. In light of this, I am stepping away from my pastoral duties and am submitting to a healing and restoration process established by the elders. This will afford me a needed time of spiritual recovery and healing.

During this time, it is critical that the ministry of OCBF continue as vibrantly as ever. Remember, you serve the Lord Jesus Christ, not a man. Pastor Gibson and our leadership will keep you informed on how things will continue moving forward with the ministry. During this season, I will be a worshiper like you and look forward to seeing all that God is going to continue doing to make his name great as we continue to build kingdom disciples, who function as kingdom servants, in order to make a kingdom impact as He advances His kingdom agenda at OCBF. I have never loved you more than I love you right now, and I’m trusting God to walk me through this valley. Thank you for your love, prayers, support, and forgiveness as I continue my spiritual healing journey. As we walk this journey together, keep your eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.

rags747

Reaction score
How the heck does he have enough energy left at 74 to sin that bad? Sinning is for the young.
Evidently some gal has come forward claiming that some unpleasant things happened in the 80’s between him and her, so he was much much younger!