Dallas Dart trains

kmp77

Reaction score
Maybe dumb question. I've never ridden the Dart train....or a train period. Say I want to go south from a station to another station. Do you have to make sure the train is going the right direction? Like is there one train that that just ping pongs from one end to another? So if it's going north, do you wait until it's going south? Or are there multiple trains on each line?

Edit: Wait...maybe each line has a north/south train! Maybe I was overthinking it?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Maybe dumb question. I've never ridden the Dart train....or a train period. Say I want to go south from a station to another station. Do you have to make sure the train is going the right direction? Like is there one train that that just ping pongs from one end to another? So if it's going north, do you wait until it's going south? Or are there multiple trains on each line?

Edit: Wait...maybe each line has a north/south train! Maybe I was overthinking it?
It can be a little confusing riding the rails at times if you are not familiar with the direction of the trains, particularly when there are multiple lines on a rail system stopping where you are traveling through.

If you haven't seen it already, the Dart link is below. Best to run a stop-to-stop trip search and get familiar with the stops on the line your are taking. Different color lines will travel to different Dallas areas. The Dart system is a good way to get around.

Keep in mind, the trains traveling on your selected color line will have one of two final destinations displayed on the front of the lead car, based upon the direction you are headed. You will need to know which of those two destinations you are headed toward to get to your stop. The few Dart trains I have ridden on boarded from a center platform serving both directions. Tex Rail in Grapevine does not. If there are trains with separate platforms, you can find out which one is yours by asking someone or looking for platform markings.

Good luck.

https://www.dart.org/guide/transit-and-use/rail

kmp77

Reaction score
It can be a little confusing riding the rails at times if you are not familiar with the direction of the trains, particularly when there are multiple lines on a rail system stopping where you are traveling through.

If you haven't seen it already, the Dart link is below. Best to run a stop-to-stop trip search and get familiar with the stops on the line your are taking. Different color lines will travel to different Dallas areas. The Dart system is a good way to get around.

Keep in mind, the trains traveling on your selected color line will have one of two final destinations displayed on the front of the lead car, based upon the direction you are headed. You will need to know which of those two destinations you are headed toward to get to your stop. The few Dart trains I have ridden on boarded from a center platform serving both directions. Tex Rail in Grapevine does not. If there are trains with separate platforms, you can find out which one is yours by asking someone or looking for platform markings.

Good luck.

https://www.dart.org/guide/transit-and-use/rail
Yeah, I got the app and tested the route and it tells you which train etc. Seems like that will help a lot. My only worry is I won't be on the right side (if that is possible). Is the east side always north traveling and the west south (if running north/south)? If so then I'll know which side to be on. I'm literally going from one stop to the next, short trip to the AAC. I just don't want to get on the wrong one and go the wrong way. I may be overthinking it, which I do. That's why I like to ask questions early and plan.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Yeah, I got the app and tested the route and it tells you which train etc. Seems like that will help a lot. My only worry is I won't be on the right side (if that is possible). Is the east side always north traveling and the west south (if running north/south)? If so then I'll know which side to be on. I'm literally going from one stop to the next, short trip to the AAC. I just don't want to get on the wrong one and go the wrong way. I may be overthinking it, which I do. That's why I like to ask questions early and plan.
There’s signs, but it can be confusing. Google maps will tell you which one.

kmp77

Reaction score
Just got back to my hotel. It wound up being pretty easy. Waiting on the train after the game to sitting in my car in 7 minutes. And only cost $3....which they never checked so didn't even have to buy tickets. Such a great way to park and get to the game.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
That's how it is in Europe for 99% of all big sports events. People use public transit to get to the stadiums. There are no vast parking areas around all the time, no room lol. So you park far away and do the last bit by tram or bus.

And like the OP realized, it's much better this way too since you aren't stuck forever on a parking lot because everyone wants to get out at the same time.

I remember taking some American folks to a soccer game once and how irritated the were when we wouldn't drive up right to the building but switching to a shuttle bus like at the airport.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
There are typically two tracks. One goes one way, the other goes the other
giphy.gif

triplets_93

Reaction score
The Dart Rail train always says what it's end destination is. It's helpful to you, to know the end destinations of the different rail trains you will be riding.

Creeper

Reaction score
There are typically two tracks. One goes one way, the other goes the other
In NJ where I live there is one track. The trains go south to Hoboken (NYC) in the morning and north in the evening. It is a commuter line more or less. There are empty trains that go north during the day then reverse and head south picking up passengers on the southern trip. It's wild. They also have express trains on the same track that skip a bunch of stops. Timing is everything I guess.