Dallas Defense Must Be The Difference In A Signature Win

Diehardblues

Reaction score
At times this Cowboys defense has had it it all against the teams we have blown out this year.

We have what’s considered a franchise saver in DC Quinn, the most disruptive defensive player in Parsons, and the leader in Int and all time pick 6 leader.

The Cowboys defense is currently ranked 3rd in defense ( #1 in NFC), 4th in points allowed and 4th in turnovers. What this defense doesn’t have is a signature win against a good team where it dominates or even relative.

Against Giants (twice) Jets, Panthers, Patriots and Wash the Cowboys only gave up 50 points. In the other 6 games Dallas gave up 170 points.

In the 3 games against winning record teams the defense gave up 42, 35 and 28 points.

Most of the renewed confidence from fans this year has been surrounded by the best Cowboys defense in recent years which most felt would finally support and help carry an offense in transition that had carried a lesser defense in previous seasons.

It’s time for this defense to have a signature game against a legit SB contender . Only then can we begin making a more serious push into the playoffs.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agree. Need our defense to step it up big time today. Even against Seattle, our defense didn't play well until the 4th quarter. Thank goodness for those stops!! They cannot allow the egals to stay in the game!! I hope Quinn earns his money today!!

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
At times this Cowboys defense has had it it all against the teams we have blown out this year.

We have what’s considered a franchise saver in DC Quinn, the most disruptive defensive player in Parsons, and the leader in Int and all time pick 6 leader.

The Cowboys defense is currently ranked 3rd in defense ( #1 in NFC), 4th in points allowed and 4th in turnovers. What this defense doesn’t have is a signature win against a good team where it dominates or even relative.

Against Giants (twice) Jets, Panthers, Patriots and Wash the Cowboys only gave up 50 points. In the other 6 games Dallas gave up 170 points.

In the 3 games against winning record teams the defense gave up 42, 35 and 28 points.

Most of the renewed confidence from fans this year has been surrounded by the best Cowboys defense in recent years which most felt would finally support and help carry an offense in transition that had carried a lesser defense in previous seasons.

It’s time for this defense to have a signature game against a legit SB contender . Only then can we begin making a more serious push into the playoffs.
Great example on how the numbers dont tell the whole story.

Unfortunately its cause of this D that I dont think we can make a serious run, unless we get a early big lead this D gets exposed.

In almost any sport to have a strong D - "you have to be strong up the middle" - and that's exactly where our weakness is.

Jags at DTs - no LBs - and not a safety that cant make a play on the ball in the back half.

Wilson

Reaction score
The defense needs to contain Hurts by keeping him in the pocket. Pressure him up the middle. Don't let him get outside and run.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great example on how the numbers dont tell the whole story.

Unfortunately its cause of this D that I dont think we can make a serious run, unless we get a early big lead this D gets exposed.

In almost any sport to have a strong D - "you have to be strong up the middle" - and that's exactly where our weakness is.

Jags at DTs - no LBs - and not a safety that cant make a play on the ball in the back half.
So you think our defensive ranking #3 isn’t a top 5 caliber defense .

The schedule we’ve played defines more than the caliber or level they have played at.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So you think our defensive ranking #3 isn’t a top 5 caliber defense .

The schedule we’ve played defines more than the caliber or level they have played at.
I'm not really understanding your reply - I agree with your original post.

As for the bold - no I dont think they are a "top" D - The Boys are #3 and (I'll use the Jets D as an example cause I watch a lot of their games) the Jets are #9.

I'll take the Jets D over ours anytime.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not really understanding your reply - I agree with your original post.

As for the bold - no I dont think they are a "top" D - The Boys are #3 and (I'll use the Jets D as an example cause I watch a lot of their games) the Jets are #9.

I'll take the Jets D over ours anytime.
why's that??? (not debating just asking why)

Creeper

Reaction score
The Eagles had 4 long drives in the first game 13 plays, 11 plays, 6 plays and 11 plays. They had two TD drives in the 3rd quarter to take a big lead. The Cowboys defense cannot let them do that again.

The offense needs to avoid stupid penalties, sacks and drops.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
why's that??? (not debating just asking why)
Jets got a very good D good D-line - especially DTs - and they have a good rotation of them.

- Better LBs in CJ Mosley and Williams

Better secondary - Sauce Gardner and Reed at CBs are a top combo and the Safeties are pretty solid.

The problem with them is that the O sucks so bad that the D is on the field a lot - this is the NFL - cant hold down the other teams O forever.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jets got a very good D good D-line - especially DTs - and they have a good rotation of them.

- Better LBs in CJ Mosley and Williams

Better secondary - Sauce Gardner and Reed at CBs are a top combo and the Safeties are pretty solid.

The problem with them is that the O sucks so bad that the D is on the field a lot - this is the NFL - cant hold down the other teams O forever.
gotcha appreciate it!!

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Thats impressive... I still think we need to figure out teams who get the ball out quick (IE. the 49ers)... but it's a good one none the less.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Check! See signature win tonight vs the Ugles.
Defense only gave up 6 points vs a very good O!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep .. we finally got the win we needed to silence the critics. For now.

This is the signature win for 2023. Now let’s see how we finish the season out. Winning out won’t be easy with our brutal schedule.

And if we end up with 5th seed no one will want to face us in playoffs. We should be a tough out , even on the road.

Let’s stay healthy and push forward. We finally have a good team on both sides of the ball.