CFZ Dallas Got More Explosive By Cutting Zeke; the Key Will Be Consistency

Pass2Run

Reaction score
In 2022, I couldn't help but feel like a fan of some other team as I watched the Cowboys pass, pass, pass, their way to a loss in the season opener versus Tampa.

Even as Zeke sat, washed up on the sideline, many of us thought, why abandon the run?

Last year, our running game ended up being pretty good. But it was only pretty good because our defense was good. Otherwise, our run game would have been rather average, especially without the dynamic that Pollard brings.

Remember in 2021 when little Aidan Diggs said, "Zeke doesn't hit the hole hard anymore"?

I'm paraphrasing, but when a child says something like that you know he's repeating it because he heard it somewhere else. That was a long time ago, and the Cowboys ended up riding it out with Zeke even when his teammates kids knew he'd lost it, which is kind of funny because everyone kinda knew it but Zeke.

I want to see Pollard get paid as a Cowboy, personally, so I'm fine with the franchise tag.. Plus, even with his injury, I don't expect him to lose as much as people think. He will maybe lose a smidgen. But he will still be Tony Pollard.

There were times last year when he looked like Adrian Peterson out there, so I'm not going to regret it too much if I franchise him and it doesn't work out. He's sort of made himself the x-factor at times.

That said, despite losing Zeke, which I view as addition by subtraction, at the end of the day, unfortunately, I think we can be a more explosive offense, and that's what Dak needs to be Dak. If we have faster backs, and contrary to popular belief, we do now, then it really comes down to our offensive line, and I'd expect the Cowboys to draft a bruiser or a short, stocky guy like Tucker or Corum.. then again, there are guys like McBride, Abinikanda, and Gibbs that have all facets of their game ready to rock day 1.

Whatever happens, we'll be more explosive by default, which will help all facets of the offensive production.

It will come down to whether or not McCarthy sticks with the run or goes with the pass. In some games, you have to pass more than you run or you'll become too predictable. But it's about picking which of those games you'll pass more in and which ones you won't that matters.

Either way, the success of the run game will still come down to consistency so you need to worry about making it work early and often.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard will excel with the new blocking system as long as defenses begin to respect the pass.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In 2022, I couldn't help but feel like a fan of some other team as I watched the Cowboys pass, pass, pass, their way to a loss in the season opener versus Tampa.

Even as Zeke sat, washed up on the sideline, many of us thought, why abandon the run?

Last year, our running game ended up being pretty good. But it was only pretty good because our defense was good. Otherwise, our run game would have been rather average, especially without the dynamic that Pollard brings.

Remember in 2021 when little Aidan Diggs said, "Zeke doesn't hit the hole hard anymore"?

I'm paraphrasing, but when a child says something like that you know he's repeating it because he heard it somewhere else. That was a long time ago, and the Cowboys ended up riding it out with Zeke even when his teammates kids knew he'd lost it, which is kind of funny because everyone kinda knew it but Zeke.

I want to see Pollard get paid as a Cowboy, personally, so I'm fine with the franchise tag.. Plus, even with his injury, I don't expect him to lose as much as people think. He will maybe lose a smidgen. But he will still be Tony Pollard.

There were times last year when he looked like Adrian Peterson out there, so I'm not going to regret it too much if I franchise him and it doesn't work out. He's sort of made himself the x-factor at times.

That said, despite losing Zeke, which I view as addition by subtraction, at the end of the day, unfortunately, I think we can be a more explosive offense, and that's what Dak needs to be Dak. If we have faster backs, and contrary to popular belief, we do now, then it really comes down to our offensive line, and I'd expect the Cowboys to draft a bruiser or a short, stocky guy like Tucker or Corum.. then again, there are guys like McBride, Abinikanda, and Gibbs that have all facets of their game ready to rock day 1.

Whatever happens, we'll be more explosive by default, which will help all facets of the offensive production.

It will come down to whether or not McCarthy sticks with the run or goes with the pass. In some games, you have to pass more than you run or you'll become too predictable. But it's about picking which of those games you'll pass more in and which ones you won't that matters.

Either way, the success of the run game will still come down to consistency so you need to worry about making it work early and often.
really more , how so? have we seen the new revamped OL or LG. steele back healthy? more explosive with IFS new play called, OC, and a qauestibale OL.

did Aidan ask

Hey daddy, why did pollard look slow and fat with his last 4 game of the RS at 3.8 YPC NO TDS, 51 YOPG not one explosive play and NO TDS in the playoffs. That 6 straight games ZERO TDS and 2 injuries..sure Aidan and this fan base sure likes the backup under a rookie deal..

said backup, nows the starter making 10mil that last 6 game scenarios won't cut it will it how about this .

Game 1 TB- 1.8 YPC oh right zeke had 5.2 and in many game zeke had a high average in the same games TP was being explosive.
Games against Washington 1YPC 0.8 and 1 YPC in 2 games?

add in that weak azz finish and guess what used to be ok
10mil says where were these big pays and production in those 8 games? he did a lot in the middle of the year but is this Amari cooper syndrome good for 1/2 the games but better defenses shuts him down for the other 1/2?

how about the agendas and posts against certain player not sweep the negatives under the rug with your new boy toy?

you telling me you missed those issues with TP, Malik not being used to a point where we are automatically more explosive, isnt it how you finish not how you start? if that the case how long has it been since pollard scored a TD and had an explosive play??

Ill wait.. been while go dig it up. now hes comig off an inujiory..hmm Dall got more expalove inyour nd,on paper.. umm ok

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm just saying. With either back we have now, we're more explosive.

Zeke's average was abysmal his last few games.

aikemirv

Reaction score

I am not sure how you can say we are more explosive by replacing him with R Jones. Pollard himself said he was not good for more than 14 carries which he pretty much got last year so are you giving him 20 and wearing him down by week 10?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Sigh ......another bash Zeke thread
Agree.

There is pride in that player who by himself at one time ran Ohio St. to a national championship through Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon in their school football prime.

Zeke is going to do like every other player that left the Jerry Dumbo GM Jones Arlington Jonesboys Country Club...go to a Conference Championship game or Super Bowl with another team.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Ronald Jones had 60 yards 12 touches in the Bucs SB win . Even I can do that math. Penney to me was just another rotational back in Seattle . Cowboys got the better back in FA over Philly . And face it Philly is who Dallas is chasing not the Giants . Add Malik Davis to the trio with Pollard i like the rotation .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

it will be interesting to see what they do in the draft. If we want a great run game pollard isnt going to be enough with the fodder we have behind him. we need another good back. Now will they have a plan and get another speed back similar to pollard? Will they go after a bigger back to compliment?

and they certainly need a high pick guard in the draft.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am not sure how you can say we are more explosive by replacing him with R Jones. Pollard himself said he was not good for more than 14 carries which he pretty much got last year so are you giving him 20 and wearing him down by week 10?
i assume it was meant as collectively as a RB unit group ... the combination of both Pollard and Jones skill set, rather than just relying upon the back of one man ..

And i keep wanting to interate that it's more important that the focus should be about " touches " ... more than " carries " ..both rushing and receiving.

Pollard and Jones provide quickness. elusiveness and more explosiveness in both run and pass game.

And i would not rule out RB in the NFL draft, ..if a well regarded one surprisingly drops further than expected and becomes available.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We'll have other backs..it's going to be a three-headed monster so Malik would be part of it too unless they draft someone..it's gonna be a competition at RB, I'm hoping.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I think Pollard's more effective as a complementary/secondary guy rather than the lead/featured back, so I think the Cowboys would do well to get someone who's a 25 carry a game guy either through the draft or free agency.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Pollard's more effective as a complementary/secondary guy rather than the lead/featured back, so I think the Cowboys would do well to get someone who's a 25 carry a game guy either through the draft or free agency.
In his game with the most rushing attempts he was 22 for 115 (5.23 ypc).

In his game with the most yards (131) his average was 9.36 and he had 3 TDs.

In his 5 worst ypc games he had less than 10 carries.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
In his game with the most rushing attempts he was 22 for 115 (5.23 ypc).

In his game with the most yards (131) his average was 9.36 and he had 3 TDs.

In his 5 worst ypc games he had less than 10 carries.

Pollard's largely a speed/quickness guy who's never had more than 200 carries in a season with little more than 500 carries in his 4 years.

Look at Zeke's numbers by year... He averaged 5yds/carry his rookie year but if you plot his YPC, it shows the cumulative toll of the punishment he took steadily decreased his effectiveness.

McCarthy has indicated he wants to run the ball more. I don't think that bodes well for Pollard's health and productivity. If the Cowboys are planning to use him up and discard him, I guess that's their peragotive.

I just personally think they'll keep him more effective at what he does best if he avoids a heavy load.