Dallas Zone Coverage

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I saw a major improvment with the zone coverage this past game, on many plays I saw by the time the CB released the WR the safety namely Davis was right there to pick the WR up the rest of the way. I felt Davis had his best game thus far both in coverage and in his ability to hit players. One thing for sure teams may complete some balls over the middle aginst us but the WR will pay the price!!!

devman90

The Master of Disaster
Reaction score
I agree. i also saw better play by the CBs in man, namely Terrance Newman

Doomsday101

Reaction score
devman90 said:
I agree. i also saw better play by the CBs in man, namely Terrance Newman

I felt we played the man coverage pretty good aginst the seahawks but were constantly getting burned in our zone coverage. This past game that changed. As for Newman I look for him to have a very good year this season

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We were playing extremely soft zones, and our safetys were deep. It's parcells practcing a conservative defensive scheme. He tightened it up against the Texans, and it worked better. The defense had a shut out. The Special Teams gave up 9 points.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I saw a major improvment with the zone coverage this past game, on many plays I saw by the time the CB released the WR the safety namely Davis was right there to pick the WR up the rest of the way. I felt Davis had his best game thus far both in coverage and in his ability to hit players. One thing for sure teams may complete some balls over the middle aginst us but the WR will pay the price!!!

Agreed. I thought the secondary played very well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
We were playing extremely soft zones, and our safetys were deep. It's parcells practcing a conservative defensive scheme. He tightened it up against the Texans, and it worked better. The defense had a shut out. The Special Teams gave up 9 points.

Yes sir. D has done a better job then I thought they would considering this is a new scheme we are running and I'm excited about the prospect of this defense. As for the 9 points it was all on the shoulders of the special teams but as Parcells said we were using many different combinations on specials teams and Bill did not seem overly concerned about it.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I agree on both Newman and Davis. Both of these guys had solid performances. Newman had his people covered on every play I think they only completed one pass on him and is was on a long rollout (scramble?) type play and it took the WR about 5 moves to shake Newman long enough to make the grab and even at that Newman was there for the tackle. Also, he absolutely suckered Carr into that INT in the end zone; he showed him the bait, got the bite and reeled him in.

Davis had a very solid night also. No one got behind him and he was always around the ball making hits, tackles and plays. He may not hit as hard as Roy but he still brings the heavy lumber on his hits. WR's are going to HATE playing us this year, especially coming over the middle.

Henry had a solid night too and I really saw a lot from him in the earlier preseason games as well. I think he is worth every penny of Jerry's money that he cost us. I am really feeling good about our secondary this year.