Dallas Zoo v. Ft. Worth Zoo - Which is better for younger kids?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So, I'm headed to Dallas this weekend, from KC, to take my six year old to her first Cowboys game. She has been wanting to go to to the zoo lately, but missed several opportunities due to having her tonsils out, a busy weekend, and recovering from covid this past weekend. She's been pretty frustrated and disappointed by it, so I thought maybe we could go to one of the zoos down there on Saturday.

Which would you guys recommend for a six year old, and why?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s been awhile for me but they both are really nice. Dallas is bigger and more spread out while FW is a little cramped. I think Dallas would be better for kids, more for them to do in the childrens area.

jwitten82

Reaction score
So, I'm headed to Dallas this weekend, from KC, to take my six year old to her first Cowboys game. She has been wanting to go to to the zoo lately, but missed several opportunities due to having her tonsils out, a busy weekend, and recovering from covid this past weekend. She's been pretty frustrated and disappointed by it, so I thought maybe we could go to one of the zoos down there on Saturday.

Which would you guys recommend for a six year old, and why?
Im from Dallas, but I been to the ft worth zoo about 3 years ago. I thought it was better

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I like Dallas Zoo, but both are really good. Fort Worth is in a better part of town with more things to do nearby.

nobody

Reaction score
Both are great zoos and have advantages and disadvantages. Dallas is more spread out. Something to consider with a six year old. It does have probably a little better Children's area. Fort Worth Zoo's isn't bad either.
The Fort Worth Zoo is more tightly compact so there is less walking, but feels a lot more crowded.

Here's a site that is from September that talks about both zoos (Both being Nationally acclaimed):

https://planomoms.com/the-dallas-zoo-versus-fort-worth-zoo/

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
They're equally good at this point.

Dallas Zoo is pretty spread out. So I would base your decision on how much time you have to spare / how many steps you want to get in.

I have 2 kids, age 5 & 3, and we have season passes to the Dallas Zoo. We rarely visit both sides of the zoo on the same day because of how large and spread out it is.

This map shows the general layout, and "wilds of africa / Giants of the savana" (which I consider to be one side instead of 2 distinct areas) takes us about 2-3 hours alone to get through.