News: Dan Bailey’s Secret Weapons: Duct Tape & Super Glue?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dan Bailey’s Secret Weapons: Duct Tape & Super Glue?

http://www.5pointsblue.com/dan-baileys-secret-weapons-duct-tape-super-glue/

Dan Bailey set a new team record in Sunday’s win over the Ravens: he is now the Cowboys’ all-time leader in career field goals (163) surpassing former Pro Bowl player Rafael Septien (162).

Bailey is also the most accurate field goal kicker in NFL history with his career average of 90.6% (163 of 180).

Obviously Bailey should be credited for his skill, hard work, discipline, and mental toughness. But there are a couple of items that have also played a part in Bailey’s consistency.

Bailey has worn the same kicking shoe for game days since arriving in Stillwater, Oklahoma as a recruit of the Oklahoma State Cowboys. The shoe has been through the storm, so to speak, and has survived…with a little help from Bailey and the Cowboys’ equipment staff.

“I’ve had the shoe since college, it was the shoe they issued to kickers and punters,” Bailey explains. “I think it was 2007 maybe, or 2006, somewhere in there. I’ve had it ever since. Obviously I’ve had more pairs through college and here with the Cowboys, but I’ve always used the same cleat as my game cleat.”

“I’m just comfortable with it. I always hit the ball well with that particular shoe. I’m not a superstitious kind of guy, but I do believe in the mentality of ‘if it’s not broke, don’t fix it’. Yes, the shoe broke a couple of times and I have fixed it. I used duct tape. I’ve also used super glue. There’s some other stuff that the equipment guys have used to fix it a couple of times. They use whatever they can and do their thing. Whatever works.”

Cowboys’ fans hope Bailey keeps doing what he’s doing. Bailey has connected on 19 of 21 field goals through the first 10 games of the 2016 season. He’s also been perfect on extra points (30-of-30) and has never missed an extra point conversion in his six NFL seasons (234 of 234 for his career).

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Damn that is an ugly shoe! I bet Nike would love to get him to wear something current. But whatever works and keeps Bailey in a groove it what he should wear :)