Recap: Dan Quinn Monday PC - 2 point play, Wilson Tank and Lewis, Injuries, Recent Improvement Against Run

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Here is the previously posted Coach Mac recap on same day. I won't be recapping OC and ST Coach, but you can find them here.

• Great game! I love tight and tough games. We've been through those last 5 weeks. I couldn't think of better time for us to have it. Because that's when you get stronger. You learn more from them. You couldn't write the script better with that and #2 seed game going into Washington.
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm all for blowouts. But games like Detroit are where you grow strong. It matters being in those fights. Hardened defense.
  • 2 point play - You're looking for no flinching all those series. Easy thing to do is say, "Oh no... here we go again." But there was no flinch. Part of getting tougher and stronger. Any good team needs that.
  • When D hears #70 is eligible, they are ready because Detroit plays him often in jumbo as a TE. They already know he is the guy who usually does it. So yes, if announced #68 would have changed our coverage.
  • For coaching offers, important to compartmentalize. I would be ready to discuss it at moment's notice if it came. Quite frankly, the guys here are why I did return, so I'm not going to let it go. We had unfinished business in my mind.
  • No, no benefit from losing Diggs and LVE. Yes, other guys are ready, but it still sucks. Give anything to have those guys on field. Any good team goes through it.
  • Overshown's injury not talked about much because it was preseason, but we had plans to have him right in middle, so his injury impacted too, and proud of Bell stepping up. Not all practice squad guys are developmental, some are ready to play. Kudos to league for making the veteran exception.
  • Run defense. We tackled better. We were double digit missed tackles few weeks ago. So to see us recapture our energy is good. Hopeful Hankins will make his way back in. But I wouldn't put it on one player as much as we've improved our tackling. I felt starting with Miami we recaptured that energy and hitting.
  • Edges against run, Micah too, but definitely Law. If there is a big play meter in run game, I would always put Law in it. He makes incredible 3rd/4th run stops. His veteran instincts are made for it. Hard to fool him. In short yardage, we use a term "take a shot." It means I have all the info, I think a certain play is about to happen, and I got out and stop it. His ability to do that is incredible. You can't teach that.
  • Now that technology developed, guys like PFF, I think something will come soon that allows guys like Law to be recognized. Bryant Young was that way too. Part of his career in a 3-4 and not same numbers. But you talk to anyone who lined up against him -- hard as hell to block. DLaw would be another guy like that. By moving him around, allowed himself to express his development too.
  • Wilson incredible interception. To make sure it was a catch! And toss play going his direction that he stopped sum up him. He's a playmaker. Hitter, tackler. He and DeMarcus on our defense are always the ones that set the energy and tone. Very similar in that way.
  • Thought the last 2 games Jourdan Lewis has stood out. He's one of our best competitors. When we showed film last week on Detroit, I passed by his injury play. We didn't know if he would make it back. We like putting Jourdan into fight like Donovan. Thrives on it. He is one of those ones that feels the moment. Super proud of him for last 2 games improvement.
  • You must have attitude, when opportunity is there, I will take it. That is what Washington game is. We will prepare for both Jacoby and Howell. I know Jacoby well, we have history. They have tough #*$# RBs and WRs that can execute. Whether either QB, we will have our work cut out for us and its a division game.

1942willys

Reaction score
I think we are still weak against the run up the middle and with the LBs but tackling better makes a big difference
DLaw is excellent against the run (as long as he does not have to try and contain a slippery QB) but he is not some kind of god there. Get a handle on your DLaw love man
one problem with all the new metrics everyone is trying to pump up is they fall in love with numbers and forget the human part of the equation

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think we are still weak against the run up the middle and with the LBs but tackling better makes a big difference
DLaw is excellent against the run (as long as he does not have to try and contain a slippery QB) but he is not some kind of god there. Get a handle on your DLaw love man
one problem with all the new metrics everyone is trying to pump up is they fall in love with numbers and forget the human part of the equation
FYI. It's the reporters with the DLaw Love. Coaches just answering questions. DLaw was recognized, or asked coaches to recognize, more than any player this week. If coaches are asked for which players are doing great jobs contributing to something they'll be straight up about it. In this case, question was about who is making most impact against run.

Last edited:

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Q is a great coach, things don't always turn out great for him and his defense, but this is the NFL, offenses gonna have some success against you, and out talent you at some positions, but is never for bad coaching or lack of preparation.

That is clear to me in a defense like Philly has right now, poor tackling, lackadaisical play, poor attitude, you won't have that with a DQ defense.

Eddie

Reaction score
How about no more Prevent D's? DQ let the Lions march down and score in under a minute ... with NO ****** timeouts !!!!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
How about no more Prevent D's? DQ let the Lions march down and score in under a minute ... with NO ****** timeouts !!!!
The LBs/Secondary just aren't good at playing zone at all. I think that's why our prevent looks like such trash.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Been watching Cowboys for 30-40 years and as long as I can remember, prevent Ds are always scapegoat #1 for successful drives.

Not saying it didn't affect it, but just keeping it real.