Dangit

cowboys19

Reaction score
I live in NY, and i just found out that i will be watching the Saints, NY Giants in its entirety, then the conclusion of the Cowboys, Commanders game

I understand for the people in New Orleans, but New York?

ughhhhhhhhhh

·[A]koN·

Reaction score
Its Saints vs. Giants on ABC @ 6 central, and then @ 8 pm central time, Saitns goes to ESPN and BOYS' start on ABC. (like normal) no?

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
In some markets like NY and NO area will recieve that game in its entirety. In most others the game will switch over the Boys game starting at 9pm est time. This is what has been explained to me by the NFLST from the DirectTV peeps.
Hopefully they are right and I will get to watch the ROH ceremony and the whole game on either station.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
I live in Louisiana, and according to our listings here, they still show the Saints/Giants game on both ABC and ESPN, and the Cowboys game starting at 9:30 on ABC, after the Saints game.

This means that we will likely miss half the game.

I do not believe ESPN has the ability to show two different feeds for the different games, so I think the NFL is full of it when they tell us that they will show the Cowboys at 8PM on ESPN in Louisiana and NY.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the NFL has to make this so complicated. I am on the brink of driving to Texas to see the game if they don't show it here.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8845537

Saints vs. Giants game event details

(Sept. 14, 2005) -- The NFL announced details of its activities to focus on the Gulf Coast recovery and rebuilding effort as part of the New Orleans Saints vs. New York Giants game on Monday night, Sept. 19.

Under the theme "Recover and Rebuild," special guests and entertainers from New Orleans and décor changes at Giants Stadium will reflect the special character of what was scheduled to be the Saints' home opener in New Orleans against the Giants. The game was originally scheduled for the Louisiana Superdome but moved to Giants Stadium at 7:30 p.m. ET Monday due to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

The NFL will host New Orleans police chief Eddie Compass and other members of the New Orleans Police and Fire Department who will participate in the coin toss along with former presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, who lead the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund. In addition, the NFL has arranged through several relief agencies for more than 600 residents of New Orleans who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina to the northeast to attend the game.

There will be several performances at Giants Stadium by artists with Gulf Coast ties.

New Orleans natives and music superstars Harry Connick Jr. and Branford Marsalis will perform the national anthem on piano and saxophone. Irvin Mayfield, the famed New Orleans jazz trumpeter and cultural ambassador for the city, will perform "America the Beautiful." The band 3 Doors Down from Escatawpa, Miss., will perform during halftime.

The Giants face the Saints on Monday at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The west end zone will say "Saints" and feature the team's helmet logo. Team banners will be placed on the sideline walls. In addition, banners with the website address and phone number for the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund will be on the walls and the fund's logo will be screened onto the field on the sidelines near the bench areas.

The New Orleans Saints cheerleaders, the "Saintsations," also will be on hand.

Tickets for the game are still available through Ticketmaster by phone, (201-507-8900 or 212-307-7171), online ( www.ticketmaster.com) or by visiting a Ticketmaster outlet.

Every NFL game on Sept. 18 and 19 will include elements that will highlight and contribute to the national relief effort. The NFL's network television partners (ABC, ESPN, CBS and FOX), and national radio partner, Westwood One/CBS Radio Sports, will promote the relief effort during their pregame shows and game telecasts.

ABC, ESPN and the NFL are teaming on an unprecedented telethon to raise funds and bring attention to the massive needs of the Gulf Coast region. The Monday night telethon will emanate from ABC's Times Square studio in New York City. The telethon will raise money for the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund ( www.bushclintonkatrinafund.com). Former Presidents Bush and Clinton lead the fund, which serves as an umbrella organization for three special funds established by the governors of Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi to assist in the long-term recovery plan for those states.

Current and former NFL players, including Hall of Famers Marcus Allen, Eric Dickerson, Mike Haynes, Steve Largent, Ronnie Lott, Art Shell and Bart Starr, will be on hand at the studio to answer calls and accept pledges.

The Saints vs. New York Giants game will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET. ABC will televise the game until the 9 pm ET start of the Washington at Dallas game. At that time, the Saints vs. Giants telecast will switch to ESPN in most markets. New York, Louisiana and selected hurricane-affected areas will see the Giants-Saints game to its conclusion on ABC. The Cowboys-Commanders game will begin on ESPN in those markets and switch to ABC following the conclusion of the Giants vs. Saints game.
The NFL, its owners, clubs and players have contributed nearly $10 million so far to Hurricane Katrina relief. Saints owner Tom Benson donated the first $100,000 to a special relief fund created by the team -- the New Orleans Saints Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund ( www.saintshurricanefund.org), which will provide assistance to people in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast region.

According to this, those of us in NY and Louisiana should be able to see the start of the game on ESPN. I just don't know if they are blowing smoke, or if they can really transmit 2 different feeds based on location.

cowboys19

Reaction score
so let me get this straight

ill be able to watch the beginning of the Dallas game on ESPN 9pm est. then when the saints are finished on ABC for the NY and New Orleans customers, they will air the rest of the Dallas game on ABC?

but for the rest of the US its opposite of NY and what New Orleans gets?

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
cowboys19 said:
so let me get this straight

ill be able to watch the beginning of the Dallas game on ESPN 9pm est. then when the saints are finished on ABC for the NY and New Orleans customers, they will air the rest of the Dallas game on ABC?

but for the rest of the US its opposite of NY and what New Orleans gets?

Based on that article it seems if you have both ABC and ESPN you will be able to see the Boys game on either channel depending on where you live? I sure hope so.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
It's not that hard ya'll. For most of the country, the early game will be moved to ESPN to show the Cowboys/Skins game. In New York, they'll just leave the Giants/Saints game on ABC and put the Cowboys/Skins on ESPN.

cowboys19

Reaction score
im guessing your gonna need ESPN Alternate tho to watch it. i dont got that :mad:

BlueWave

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling Direct TV viewers will be screwed here. The Cable companies can switch the ESPN feed because they know which game there local ABC station is showing. Direct TV has no clue what local station you have or who they are showing. Therefore, they will probably show the Saints Giants feed from ESPN, regardless of who is on the local channel.

I tried to talk to Direct TV today and get them to provide the ESPN Alternate 213 with the other game. They are clueless to the whole thing.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
I have a bad feeling Direct TV viewers will be screwed here. The Cable companies can switch the ESPN feed because they know which game there local ABC station is showing. Direct TV has no clue what local station you have or who they are showing. Therefore, they will probably show the Saints Giants feed from ESPN, regardless of who is on the local channel.

I tried to talk to Direct TV today and get them to provide the ESPN Alternate 213 with the other game. They are clueless to the whole thing.

Can't you just tune to ESPN and/or the local ABC affiliate? You don't have to watch in on Sunday Ticket.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
In some markets like NY and NO area will recieve that game in its entirety. In most others the game will switch over the Boys game starting at 9pm est time. This is what has been explained to me by the NFLST from the DirectTV peeps.
Hopefully they are right and I will get to watch the ROH ceremony and the whole game on either station.

You're going to be disappointed, Josh. Both games will be featuring a fund raising telethon during halftime. ABC has already said it will not air the ROH ceremony. They said they rarely do this anyway; just on special occasions like for 49er players.

They may try to work in a couple of excerpts from it during second half play if the flow of the game permits.

BlueWave

Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
Can't you just tune to ESPN and/or the local ABC affiliate? You don't have to watch in on Sunday Ticket.

It has nothing to do with Sunday Ticket.

The Direct TV guide shows the Cowboys game starting at 8:00 on my local ABC station. The newspaper and the local ABC station are planning on staying with the Saints game. The local cable station knows this (since they are local) and will show the ESPN feed of the Cowboys/Skins. Direct TV doesn't have a clue that the local station is planning on sticking with the Saints game, so they will start the Saints game on ESPN at 8:00 as well. It will end up the same game on both channels. I'm not the only one. If you have Direct TV with local channels, and you live in either NY or LA area, get ready. I'll be willing to bet Direct TV shows the Saints ESPN feed at 8:00. They don't have the ability to change.

I called them. They just don't get it. It's a glitch. Unless they show an ESPN Alternate feed, like I suggested to them at 10:00 this morning, I (we) are screwed, and they don't seem too concerned.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
In the NW it works like this:

ABC: Saints/Giants 4:30 PST
ABC: Dallas/Skins 6:00 PST
ESPN: Saints/Giants 6:00 PST

LeonDixson

Reaction score
BlueWave said:
It has nothing to do with Sunday Ticket.

The Direct TV guide shows the Cowboys game starting at 8:00 on my local ABC station. The newspaper and the local ABC station are planning on staying with the Saints game. The local cable station knows this (since they are local) and will show the ESPN feed of the Cowboys/Skins. Direct TV doesn't have a clue that the local station is planning on sticking with the Saints game, so they will start the Saints game on ESPN at 8:00 as well. It will end up the same game on both channels. I'm not the only one. If you have Direct TV with local channels, and you live in either NY or LA area, get ready. I'll be willing to bet Direct TV shows the Saints ESPN feed at 8:00. They don't have the ability to change.

I called them. They just don't get it. It's a glitch. Unless they show an ESPN Alternate feed, like I suggested to them at 10:00 this morning, I (we) are screwed, and they don't seem too concerned.

Man, I feel for ya. Good luck to you.

BlueWave

Reaction score
I gave it one more shot. I called Direct TV. They tried to calim that neither them nor cable providers could change programming (on ESPN). It seems to me that if you live in LA or NY, the Cowboys will not start on ESPN at 8:00. Especially if you have Direct TV. Looks like I'll miss half of my favorite game of the year.

It's the NFL's fault. What a stupid idea. Just have one game on one channel, and one on the other. Why all this stupid switching?

Gordon

Reaction score
I'm in NJ and on my iO it says that at 9:00 on ESPN the Giants and Saints are playing but I'm not getting too stressed out. I think it just says that because that's what it is around the country.

All I've been hearing on sports talk radio around here for the past week is that the Cowboys will start on ESPN at 9:00, so I'm not too worried about getting screwed.