Daniel Polk’s Cowboys Diary - 08/04/08-08/12/08

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daniel Polk, For the Times Record News

Editor’s Note: Former Midwestern State quarterback Daniel Polk is a free-agent wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys. His blog for the Times Record News appears daily during training camp:

Monday, August 4, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. — So far, I really can’t complain much about training camp. I did miss those couple of days of practice with a hamstring injury, but I’m back now and I’ve had some good practices lately. I think that time off really helped me on the mental part of the game.

They’re working me in nicely. I’m getting a good amount of reps, so I can’t complain. I’ve always considered myself a really confident person on and off the field. So, my confidence is always up but when you face these corners like Pacman Jones and Anthony Henry every day, and make some plays on them, it’s a big boost. So, hopefully, I can keep doing a little more of that.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. — Life out here in California is crazy. I mean, it’s only a few hours on the plane, but it seems so far away from everything. I really don’t have time to talk to anyone really, but my parents. Usually, when I get out of meetings every night, I’ll head over to the training room and get some treatment. Hopefully, that won’t be an every-night thing anymore. But then I’ll get home and maybe turn on the TV for a few minutes, or open up the playbook for a few minutes, but I’m usually falling asleep soon after that. I do make sure I call my mom and dad, but that’s about it. I really don’t get to talk to anyone on the phone. And it doesn’t help that my phone actually broke for a few days while I was here. But we’re so out of the loop, I just found out Manny Ramirez got traded to the Dodgers. Right now, it’s all about football and nothing else.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. -- Man, we've been here for a while now and it's starting to get pretty repetitive. I think we're all looking forward to the game this week.

I'm not really sure how much I'll play or anything like that. But we're just excited to start hitting someone else. I think I'm starting to get things down at wide receiver. I had a pretty good practice today. I had a couple of battles with Mike Jenkins. He won some; I won a few, too. It was a good challenge. But he's a first-round pick, so getting a few balls on him was a good day. I just have to keep it coming.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. -- Well, this wide receiver thing is pretty tough, but I’m starting to get the hang of it, I think. We’ll see how much I get to play in the game on Saturday. I actually had to perform the other night, too. They made all of us rookies get up and start singing in front of the whole team after meetings. Most of them weren’t that good, but then they picked me and Julian Crosslin out and we had to sing in front of them. I think I did pretty good. All of the guys told me I was one of the best. So, at least I impressed them with my singing. Hopefully, I can impress them on the field, too!

Friday, August 8, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. — The big news today was everyone watching the Hard Knocks show from last night. We have HBO in our rooms so we all saw it, but I almost fell asleep. I think the cameras caught me a couple of times. I really wasn't doing much. But it’s neat to be a part of the show. I loved seeing all the stories about my teammates. I told my parents to get HBO just for this show. I can't wait for next week’s show. Maybe I'll have a bigger role.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

SAN DIEGO — Well, today I rode a train for the first time in my life. We went from Oxnard to San Diego for our preseason game Saturday night. It was kind of neat to be on the train, and see the beach and the ocean. For me, it was good to just relax and hang out with the guys. I got a chance to sleep some, look in my playbook. I’m excited about the game. I don’t know how much I will play, but I just have to be ready whenever my number is called. Wish me luck.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

SAN DIEGO — Saturday night we play the San Diego Chargers. I sat around all day long in the hotel. It seemed like it took forever. I’ve played night games before, but Saturday it seemed like a longer wait. I’m not sure how much I’m going to play. But I know I’ll be ready. When I put that uniform on, it’s going to be a dream come true. I can’t wait. Tomorrow, I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Monday, August 11, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. — Well, I put the Cowboys uniform on for the first time Saturday night and it felt great. It was an unbelievable experience to run out of that tunnel and hear all those fans. As for the game, well ... it wasn’t Midwestern. The game was super fast. You know, I didn’t play as much as I’m used to, but that’s the way it was in college. I got one offensive play and one ball thrown my way. It was a little underthrown, just a timing thing. But hopefully I’ll get more reps next week in Denver.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

OXNARD, Calif — Camp is almost done here. We leave for Denver on Tuesday. This whole camp has been pretty good. If I could describe it in one word, I would say “learning.” The biggest thing I’ve been doing is learning how things work in the NFL and just getting acclimated to the NFL speed. I’ve been paying more attention to detail than you do in college.

But, overall, I’d say it has been a fun camp. It’s really about building team camaraderie. You don’t really know the area, and all the guys just stay around here and you become more of a family, and you just battle together. That’s what makes a team. Right now, I’m just hoping to be a part of it.

Until next time …

— Daniel Polk

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/sports/local/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2188900 said:
Daniel Polk, For the Times Record News

Editor’s Note: Former Midwestern State quarterback Daniel Polk is a free-agent wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys. His blog for the Times Record News appears daily during training camp:

Monday, August 4, 2008

OXNARD, Calif. — So far, I really can’t complain much about training camp. I did miss those couple of days of practice with a hamstring injury, but I’m back now and I’ve had some good practices lately. I think that time off really helped me on the mental part of the game.

They’re working me in nicely. I’m getting a good amount of reps, so I can’t complain. I’ve always considered myself a really confident person on and off the field. So, my confidence is always up but when you face these corners like Pacman Jones and Anthony Henry every day, and make some plays on them, it’s a big boost. So, hopefully, I can keep doing a little more of that.
Seems like he has a very high opinion of Henry. Man, I would pay good money for a Eduncan22 comment on that right about now. :p:

sago1

Reaction score
Sounds like a good kid and he's appears to have his head on straight. Will be interesting to see if he makes any catches against the Broncos. I'm just hoping for a better all around team performance so I can focus some attention on our backups/young kids in the 2nd round rather then being in a state of shock by our play against the Chargers.