Darius Robinson

rambo2

Reaction score
Does he fit as an inside guy in Zimmer's defense?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Athletically, he tested very similarly to Osa, with the important caveat that Osa is 6'1" and Robinson is 6'5". Oddly enough, they both have the same wingspan and arm length. Osa is a gorilla.

So in theory, Robinson fits as that same kind of gap-shooter 3 tech. But I don't think he's an every-down DT.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
No I think he is more LE or 3-4 end, probably a team that mixes the odd/even fronts can have him on the field all the time.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Just thought of another comparison for Robinson, but my edit window above expired... he's Tyrone Crawford.

Crawford was 6'4" 285 compared to Robinson's 6'5" 285, their 40 times were close, their jump drills were close, and Crawford was way more agile (7.07 3-cone at the Combine, compared to Robinson's 7.57 at his pro day).

Crawford of course was a mega-tweener. He was a good run stopper at DE but got zero edge rush, and he could pass rush pretty decently at 3T but got beat up against the run. IMO, he had a better career than his CZ whipping-boy reputation deserves, but he's not the kind of guy you would want to spend the 24th pick on.

I think Robinson measures out closer to Crawford than to Osa. Osa is a true DT, and he hangs on pretty well inside given his naturally good leverage plus what amounts to a black belt in wrestling. Robinson is lankier and makes for a big, skinny target inside.

I think his most effective usage would be a Crawford-style mish mash of both DE and DT, and I project that it will amount to Crawford type results. He'd be a great Parcells style 5T, where he just plays run contain on the tackle all day, but that NFL is long gone.

Last edited:

tm1119

Reaction score
I think he’s more of a traits based prospect than actual football player at the moment. I want to like him based on the #’s on paper, but when you watch him play it’s just not that impressive. Too much of a tweener between DE and DT for me. Not explosive enough for DE and plays too tall to be a full time DT. But there are for sure flashes of brilliance so maybe it will just take the correct coach to get it out him.

Either way I think he’s pretty squarely between picks 24 and 56.

rambo2

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that they take either Byron Murphy or Darius Robinson.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Athletically, he tested very similarly to Osa, with the important caveat that Osa is 6'1" and Robinson is 6'5". Oddly enough, they both have the same wingspan and arm length. Osa is a gorilla.

So in theory, Robinson fits as that same kind of gap-shooter 3 tech. But I don't think he's an every-down DT.
But he could be your LDE on 1st and 2nd....slide down inside on 3rd. Saving Parson...wear and tear.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think he has to kick inside to have a shot of being good. He’s not athletic enough to be an NFL Edge.

I’m also not a big fan of these tweeter guys especially considering he might be a top 50ish prospect.

rambo2

Reaction score
I think he has to kick inside to have a shot of being good. He’s not athletic enough to be an NFL Edge.

I’m also not a big fan of these tweeter guys especially considering he might be a top 50ish prospect.
I like him a lot.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
But he could be your LDE on 1st and 2nd....slide down inside on 3rd. Saving Parson...wear and tear.
I don't like Robinson as a starting DE at all. To continue the Crawford analogy, he sucked at DE because he couldn't threaten the corner. He was a better player at tackle. Taco busted in part for the same reason... a 4.92 40 just wasn't fast enough to cut it on the edge. Robinson ran a 4.95.

I think you could pick your spots with Robinson at DE... you could sub him in for a guy like Parsons on goal line sets or clock-killing situations. He'd basically be an extra DT for heavy sub-packages.

But you probably don't want him as your full-time starting DT either, especially if you already have a small guy like say Osa on the field. So Robinson just looks like this rotational tweener type to me.

His path to NFL success is probably somewhere in the Osa vein, where he's just so good at interior rushing that he demands starter snaps.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Just thought of another comparison for Robinson, but my edit window above expired... he's Tyrone Crawford.

Crawford was 6'4" 285 compared to Robinson's 6'5" 285, their 40 times were close, their jump drills were close, and Crawford was way more agile (7.07 3-cone at the Combine, compared to Robinson's 7.57 at his pro day).

Crawford of course was a mega-tweener. He was a good run stopper at DE but got zero edge rush, and he could pass rush pretty decently at 3T but got beat up against the run. IMO, he had a better career than his CZ whipping-boy reputation deserves, but he's not the kind of guy you would want to spend the 24th pick on.

I think Robinson measures out closer to Crawford than to Osa. Osa is a true DT, and he hangs on pretty well inside given his naturally good leverage plus what amounts to a black belt in wrestling. Robinson is lankier and makes for a big, skinny target inside.

I think his most effective usage would be a Crawford-style mish mash of both DE and DT, and I project that it will amount to Crawford type results. He'd be a great Parcells style 5T, where he just plays run contain on the tackle all day, but that NFL is long gone.
How does he compare to Chris Jones?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't like Robinson as a starting DE at all. To continue the Crawford analogy, he sucked at DE because he couldn't threaten the corner. He was a better player at tackle. Taco busted in part for the same reason... a 4.92 40 just wasn't fast enough to cut it on the edge. Robinson ran a 4.95.

I think you could pick your spots with Robinson at DE... you could sub him in for a guy like Parsons on goal line sets or clock-killing situations. He'd basically be an extra DT for heavy sub-packages.

But you probably don't want him as your full-time starting DT either, especially if you already have a small guy like say Osa on the field. So Robinson just looks like this rotational tweener type to me.

His path to NFL success is probably somewhere in the Osa vein, where he's just so good at interior rushing that he demands starter snaps.
Well said....I like Robinson too inside more....

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I think he will be a better player that Crawford. I see him as similar to Greg Rousseau.

cnuball21

Reaction score

This times 10.