'David After Dentist's Family Made $150,000 Off Their Viral Video

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The video is funny. :laugh2:

Not sure why everyone would want a T-shirt about it though.

LINK

===================

'David After Dentist's Family Made $150,000 Off Their Viral Video

Sometimes, drugging children pays off. David Devore—whose laughing gas YouTube video went viral—earned his family $150,000 from his fleeting internet fame. The Business Insider breaks down where the money came from, and how the DeVores spent it.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txqiwrbYGrs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txqiwrbYGrs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Young 7-year old David DeVore just came out of dental surgery and was sitting in the backseat of his father's car.

"Is... is this real life?" David asks his father.

The existential question was one of many posed by David in a state of delirium, and his father happened to be recording it all on a Flip camera. Today, the DeVores are asking themselves that same question after raking in close to $150,000 since January 30, 2009 when young David's father—also named David—uploaded the video of his son onto YouTube.

"I'd say about $100,000 of that (is from YouTube)," the elder David DeVore tells us over the phone. "The rest is licensing and merchandise."

While they weren't too creative with the title of the video, "David After Dentist," the DeVores have been innovative in turning their once-in-a-lifetime viral video into a money-machine. Initially, the video was meant to be shared amongst friends and family. At the time, however, YouTube's only alternative to sharing a video with the world was to share it with just 25 people. So, instead of setting "David After Dentist" as "Private," the video went "Public" for everyone to see.

The one seemingly minor decision to make the video available all over the Internet set off a whirlwind of changes for the DeVore family. Within just four days, "David After Dentist" received 3 million views on YouTube and the younger David quickly became an Internet celebrity. His father quit his job in residential real estate (did we mention they live in Florida?), and the family started selling t-shirts featuring cartoon drawings of their son post-dental surgery.

The DeVores, however, say the licensing deals for their video fell right into their laps.

Their largest deal came from a Vizio Super Bowl ad featuring several other Internet celebrities, such as the "Numa Numa Guy." In total, they received around $8,000 and young David DeVore, already used to the on-screen exposure, was seen by millions during the biggest game of the year.

The DeVores revealed to us that they just signed a deal to make medical scrubs for dentists, and they're also looking for deals with other dental products in the future. "We'd love it if Crest or Colgate would sponsor the website," David tells us.

While his family is busy finding ways to monetize off the video's success, the younger David is just trying to live like a normal 9-year old kid. After finishing the 3rd grade on the honor roll, David is on summer break and just attended football camp in Tampa Bay. He is also taking guitar lessons though that doesn't necessarily translate to more on-camera time for the young viral star.

"He's not interested in becoming a TV star, he's just a regular kid," his father tells us. "He's got other things that interest him."

The father speaks very highly of his wife and two sons, and he is extremely grateful for the video's wild success. "We do look at it as a blessing, in a crazy 21st century way," says David. "It's allowed me to have the flexibility and freedom to be with my family."

In addition, the DeVores have donated close to a total of $7,000 to their church, David's school, a local dentist, and Operation Smile—an NGO dedicated to healing facial deformities such as cleft lip.

They're also open to posting videos of aspiring musicians or performers looking for exposure onto their YouTube channel which, according to David, still attracts 100,000 - 125,000 views a day.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was probably scraping by in residential real estate. Not a way to make a living these days.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
bbgun;3447299 said:

Dawgs0916;3447303 said:
yep thought the exact same thing

Meh, he was a real estate agent... that's something you can pick right up again anyway. And in the current housing market, he probably wasn't doing very well. I can't figure out why they're needed in this day and age with the internet and all.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Danny White;3447323 said:
Meh, he was a real estate agent... that's something you can pick right up again anyway. And in the current housing market, he probably wasn't doing very well. I can't figure out why they're needed in this day and age with the internet and all.

True, but his decision seems motivated by the sudden financial windfall, not the lousy housing market. $150K ain't gonna last long, nor will the kid's fame.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Saying he "quit" his job as a real estate agent is misleading. You're an independent contractor. All you do is put your license in referral status to avoid having to pay the (expensive) quarterly and yearly dues.

I've done this and since taken a "normal" job. I'm only going to continue to work with a few of my past clients and their referrals. Once they call me and say they need to buy or sell, I'll take my license out of referral status and help them out.

Danny White;3447323 said:
I can't figure out why they're needed in this day and age with the internet and all.

It's the largest investment of your life. You want to navigate your way through it unrepresented because you have AOL? Be my guest.

;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbgun;3447328 said:
True, but his decision seems motivated by the sudden financial windfall, not the lousy housing market. $150K ain't gonna last long, nor will the kid's fame.

My guess is he was working for free anyhow. A real estate agent that wasn't actually making any sales. He just decided to stop working for free and do something that would actually bring in some cash.

I'm sure he knows this is only a 15 minute deal and he is just making the best of it. I don't blame him.

Now, if he had a real 8-5 job that quitting would be permanent, then I doubt he would be so quick to quit. At least he didn't sound like a Neanderthal in the video to make me suspect he might. :laugh2:

ethiostar

Reaction score
Why did the dad keep asking his kid if it feels good? Clearly the kid is not enjoying it and he actually seemed a bit freaked out by the effects of the drug. I'm nitpicking here but why try and make a link between drugs and euphoria for such a young kid?

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3447336 said:
Saying he "quit" his job as a real estate agent is misleading. You're an independent contractor. All you do is put your license in referral status to avoid having to pay the (expensive) quarterly and yearly dues.

I've done this and since taken a "normal" job. I'm only going to continue to work with a few of my past clients and their referrals. Once they call me and say they need to buy or sell, I'll take my license out of referral status and help them out.

Right there with ya. Sent mine into inactive status back in February when I went back to kolug.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
ethiostar;3447347 said:
Why did the dad keep asking his kid if it feels good? Clearly the kid is not enjoying it and he actually seemed a bit freaked out by the effects of the drug. I'm nitpicking here but why try and make a link between drugs and euphoria for such a young kid?

Because drugs often cause a euphoric feeling regardless of age? My little brother went through the same thing (well, dentist, not sure if the surgery was for the same reason) when he was 9 and he felt amazing afterwords, lots of laughter.

The logical assumption is that the kid would probably feel pretty funny/good. The kid started to freak out a little, but what can you do as a father but laugh at it? If he really started to freak I'm sure the father would have reassured him. I don't see anything wrong with this video, certainly nothing like you are suggesting =/

He's not trying to create some link that doesn't exist. He's making assumptions based on links that are factual.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
560_0_resize_watermarked_watermark-16px_post_rb_15.jpg

talk about zonked out

CoCo

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3447336 said:
It's the largest investment of your life. You want to navigate your way through it unrepresented because you have AOL? Be my guest.
;)

Spoken like a real estate agent. :laugh2:

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;3448301 said:
Spoken like a real estate agent. :laugh2:

If you say so.

There's a reason why 87% of all FSBO's eventually list with a real estate agent.

And there's a reason why 91% of all residential real estate purchasers hire a real estate agent.

There's more to it than looking at pictures on line.

CoCo

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3448387 said:
If you say so.

There's a reason why 87% of all FSBO's eventually list with a real estate agent.

And there's a reason why 91% of all residential real estate purchasers hire a real estate agent.

There's more to it than looking at pictures on line.

And there are of course choices in between using a real estate agent and "looking at pictures on-line" as your percentages indicate.

I am NOT a big risk taker. I get the "single biggest investment" angle. There is truth to it. I also know there are many very simple routine house purchases that don't need to be made out as all big and scary if you'll do a little bit of homework. I also think it serves the agent industry well to play up the fear aspect.

We listed and sold FSBO at a price in excess of appraisel. 3 days. It certainly depends on the circumstances.

Some expertise is overblown. It's why there are on-line investment brokers too. There absolutely is a time and place to hire a professional. I'm just of the opinion that it's not 100% of the time. I respect the expertise of professionals when it truly calls for an expert. I resent when they try to convey that it can't be done properly without them.

And in the same manner I will tell you the OP's question re: Roth IRA rollovers (different thread) is not worth paying for IMO. It's a pretty simple answer if you do a little homework.

I truly don't mean to sound overly critical. And I'm certainly not disrespecting your expertise. I am pretty sensitive on this topic. :eek::

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;3448459 said:
I am NOT a big risk taker. I get the "single biggest investment" angle. There is truth to it. I also know there are many very simple routine house purchases that don't need to be made out as all big and scary if you'll do a little bit of homework. I also think it serves the agent industry well to play up the fear aspect.

As a buyer, you'd be a fool to not use a real estate agent, considering the agent is essentially working for you for free, and genuinely looking out for your best interest

CoCo;3448459 said:
We listed and sold FSBO at a price in excess of appraisel. 3 days. It certainly depends on the circumstances.

That can be done, but pretty much only in the hot sellers market we experienced at the peak of the real estate bubble a few years back.

CoCo;3448459 said:
Some expertise is overblown. It's why there are on-line investment brokers too. There absolutely is a time and place to hire a professional. I'm just of the opinion that it's not 100% of the time.

Well . . . obviously. There will always be exceptions to every rule.

CoCo;3448459 said:
I respect the expertise of professionals when it truly calls for an expert.

I'd consider a purchase of something as large of a house would be one of those instances.

CoCo;3448459 said:
I resent when they try to convey that it can't be done properly without them.

My original comment was in reference to the posters remark that agents were virtually obsolete thanks to the internet.