Davis or Watkins?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I've seen some people getting on Davis. But consider what else we have Watkins? Brown? I'm sorry but watkins is just flat out bad. Killer might have been out matched today vs Davis. But man I don't think I've ever seen a safety as bad as Watkins. This guys gets run over by QB's, RB's and he can't cover or hit ,tackle worth a lick. I'm sorry but I would rather have Killer over that Bum any day. I think Killer has played well except for the play to Vernon davis.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I said this in another thread. But I guess it fits better here:

Watkins.

I used to see Merton Hanks.

Now I just see that skinny kid in high school who rolled up in a ball whenever you looked at him sideways.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I think there is a chance we dont see watkins again this year.

He had another stinger today and at some point you have to end his season for his own health.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I expected more from Watkins with his size. I haven't seen it yet. I think Davis has been good. I mean I don't know what you can expect from a guy in a backup role who's been called up to play starter. He's been solid. He got beat deep by Vernon Davis who's faster than most WIDE RECEIVERS in the league and he's a tight end. Its expected. You get beat deep in this league. I'm not sure why fans all of a sudden think you're suppose to shut teams down from going deep. It doesn't happen. IT didn't happen in the 90's so why should it happen now?

MrMom

Reaction score
Davis. He's the only decent tackler out of the group. Brown is afraid of contact, and Watkins is going to get himself seriously hurt if he keeps putting his head down when he makes contact.

I'd play around with playing Henry at FS and putting Hamlin at SS, but I doubt we see that.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
Cowboystar17;2439205 said:
I've seen some people getting on Davis. But consider what else we have Watkins? Brown? I'm sorry but watkins is just flat out bad. Killer might have been out matched today vs Davis. But man I don't think I've ever seen a safety as bad as Watkins. This guys gets run over by QB's, RB's and he can't cover or hit ,tackle worth a lick. I'm sorry but I would rather have Killer over that Bum any day. I think Killer has played well except for the play to Vernon davis.

:hammer: He has been bad his whole stint here. For some reason he got this fan club where people kept preaching patience and swore they could see potential. I never did. I think (that means hope) that we address safety early in the draft, perhaps with our first pick. Just assuming we cut Roy. Kinda makes me wish we had taken Kenny Phillips where we took Jenkins, he sure looks good in NY, but who knew we were gonna hit on a 5th rounder from Boise?

BHendri5

Reaction score
Watkins will not be here next season. Davis will either be gone again or go back to strictly STs, Brown will either step up, or get cut. Roy will either learn to cover and play something similar to his rookie year/or like the Steelers Troy P. or eat that extra biscuit and get moved to LB, which might be a good move, and move, maybe try Spencer at one of the ILB, Zach may not be back, Henry to safety, there are a lot of different things we can do to tweak this defense and make it better.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cowboystar17;2439205 said:

Davis messed up several pass coverages today, not just the one he gave up the long completion on. He was also way late getting over on the deep ball they completed in front of Newman, then got beat like a drum by V Davis again on what would have been a 50-60 yd TD pass, fortunately it was underthrown.

The obvious answer is to move Henry to safety, but they dont seem interested in doing that and now Jenkins is hurt.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
How many years now have fans been clamoring for a safety in the first two rounds?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Sasquatch;2439256 said:
How many years now have fans been clamoring for a safety in the first two rounds?

Answer: The same number of years since you last posted a football-related comment on this forum.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sasquatch;2439256 said:

Hopefully not too long. There haven't been any safety's worth a damn when the Cowboys have picked IMO. There wasn't a safety in the draft I would've taken over Bennett, Jenkins or Felix.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
BHendri5;2439230 said:
Watkins will not be here next season. Davis will either be gone again or go back to strictly STs, Brown will either step up, or get cut. Roy will either learn to cover and play something similar to his rookie year/or like the Steelers Troy P. or eat that extra biscuit and get moved to LB, which might be a good move, and move, maybe try Spencer at one of the ILB, Zach may not be back, Henry to safety, there are a lot of different things we can do to tweak this defense and make it better.

Roy Williams name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Troy P. That guy is unbelievable...Roy is AWFUL. Just AWFUL. And the prob with moving him to ILB is that he isnt an ILB, he can't shed blocks like ILB have to do, and he still cant cover, which is sometimes required of ILB's. Roy has played his last game as a Cowboy, and the team is better for it.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
rocyaice;2439266 said:
Hopefully not too long. There haven't been any safety's worth a damn when the Cowboys have picked IMO. There wasn't a safety in the draft I would've taken over Bennett, Jenkins or Felix.

Kenny Phillips at 31 to NY has had a pretty damn fine rookie yr.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TEUFELI;2439271 said:

he isnt better than Felix Jones or Mike Jenkins

we paid Hamlin a ton of money right after paying Roy Williams a ton of money, drafting a safety that high wouldnt have made alot of sense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
TEUFELI;2439271 said:

I wouldn't have taken him over Talib who I thought the Cowboys were gonna get or Jenkins. Sure as hell not Felix. I felt a running back and corner were more important than safety. Because I knew I couldn't rely on Pac-Man.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
rocyaice;2439275 said:
I wouldn't have taken him over Talib who I thought the Cowboys were gonna get or Jenkins. Sure as hell not Felix. I felt a running back and corner were more important than safety. Because I knew I couldn't rely on Pac-Man.

Yeah, that was my opinion at the time too, i just thought it was worth mentioning that he looks like a good one. And i might take issue with Jenkins being better than Phillips. We'll see, but going solely off this yr (which i realize isnt the end all of this analysis) I think you would have to say Phillips has been better than Mike.

But as to the Felix...definately like him more than Kenny.