Day 3 picks for vet players

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know they want cheap labor right now, but if they can find a couple vets at RB/DT and or Wr3 for day 3 picks as they did with Cooks and Gilmore last year, they may actually be able to salvage this offseason. I know the draft picks will be cheaper but I have more confidence in vets to contribute than day 3 picks.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I know they want cheap labor right now, but if they can find a couple vets at RB/DT and or Wr3 for day 3 picks as they did with Cooks and Gilmore last year, they may actually be able to salvage this offseason. I know the draft picks will be cheaper but I have more confidence in vets to contribute than day 3 picks.

I can totally see that, but for next year's day 3 picks, since we should have a ton of them.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can totally see that, but for next year's day 3 picks, since we should have a ton of them.
Actually I'd rather use this years as I expect a new coach in 2025 and want him to have a full compliment of picks.

Motorola

Reaction score
Cooks and Gilmore trades were done at the start of free agency - six weeks before last year's draft.
Highly unlikely the Cowboys - or any other team - would do a player for picks swap on the last day of the draft.

Creeper

Reaction score
Remember, the Cowboys will go dumpster diving after the draft according to Stephen. They could still sign vets who are not yet on anyone's roster.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooks and Gilmore trades were done at the start of free agency - six weeks before last year's draft.
Highly unlikely the Cowboys - or any other team - would do a player for picks swap on the last day of the draft.
I disagree. Teams just drafted players that will make some of their vets expendable. Dallas may see a guy they like and take advantage of trading for them instead of competing for them as a free agent. Hopefully last years success with cooks and gilmore at least has them open to this.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Why do we want to give up picks for aging stopgap vets?
use picks this year to plug the numerous HOLES we still have.
Keep next years picks for two reasons:
1) odds are they will be better than this years
2) the new coach will need them

Motorola

Reaction score
I disagree. Teams just drafted players that will make some of their vets expendable. Dallas may see a guy they like and take advantage of trading for them instead of competing for them as a free agent. Hopefully last years success with cooks and gilmore at least has them open to this.
Its the last day of the draft...all teams are focused on obtaining the best talent \ fit among with their last few picks across the remaining three rounds today -- the Cowboys included.
The veterans that were expendable were already released or not resigned earlier during free agency.
Any wheeling and dealing done by the Cowboys with their 5th, 6th, and two 7th round picks this afternoon will be done to maneuver for a draft prospect - not for any low-on-the-totem veteran player on another team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have no choice but to find cheap vets at this point. Sometimes the dumpster dives pan out. But it’s not a great strategy for plugging major holes. RB is a huge problem right now. Run stuffing LB is a huge problem. We haven’t replaced Stephon Gilmore which leaves us thin at cb.

We have basically only addressed the OL in the draft. The ND kid was a poor selection. The Western Michigan kid was adding talent to a team strength.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just want a RB who can start. I DO NOT want Zeke getting any significant amount of Carries for the love of god