DC: 3 & Out: From 6-10 To Contention? Here's How

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 & Out: From 6-10 To Contention? Here's How

kpvm7jx0qlruams4ncyz

FRISCO, Texas – Back with three quick topics as we move toward Super Bowl week, and for the Cowboys, an offseason full of big decisions has already begun.

• The Bucs' Rise
  • Defense, Defense, Defense
  • Senior Bowl
I Know…
you can't use the Buccaneers' Super Bowl path as a template for the Cowboys.

This time of year it's become customary, bordering on cliché, to ask, "What can the Cowboys learn from {insert NFC Champion} heading into next season?" This year, don't. Tampa Bay is a pretty unique study.

So, there's no model for the Cowboys to follow here. Their path has been completely different. Compared to the Bucs' recent draft history, they've had two losing seasons in the previous 10 years. In that span they earned a top-10 pick twice and 15 total picks in the top 50.

I'm not making excuses. Obviously the Cowboys made several scheme and personnel decisions last year, particularly on defense, that didn't pan out. Combine that with some ridiculously bad injury luck, and 2020 was one of their more disappointing seasons in recent memory.

I Think…
the Cowboys should improve in 2021, but it can't just be about a healthy offense.

Read Full Story

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Washington doesn't get a QB and we can stay healthy we should win the division.

I don't really care about though. I want to be good enough to win a championship and not taking advantage of a bad division only to be 1 and done.

If Washington gets their QB situation sorted then they could run the division for awhile.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I honestly think for us, we have to stop taking short cuts to build a solid defense. In other words, stop spending high picks on injured players, stop filling starting positions with bargain players. Develop, find, draft, sign or whatever defensive studs and build around them.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think a realistic two year plan to have a competitive defense may be the way to go.

I don't see what exactly could happen that could get this turned around more quickly.....assuming they continue to use the draft/dumpster method.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No telling what the jones boys do for the defense lol, if will be fun to watch and see.
No point in speculating, because we dont think like the jones boys do.

I think they have a lot of low character big ego guys on defense now, so I wonder do they look at the mental aspects of def players before they draft them??
That last game gregory and lewis? had 2 really stupid penaltys, and seemed to think it was funny and ok. :huh:
Jaylon was and is a huge mistake, and jerry will never own up to that, so that means Jaylon will be there for some time, which will keep the defense
from being as good as it needs to be.
They like guys who when are a FA will sign cheap deals, so there will be some of that.
Jerry thinks he just needs a few stars on each side of ball, and the rest , just plug in some cheap guy.
That is the jones model and it aint changing.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Need a quality starter at all 3 levels of defense. DT, LB, S. And figure out this QB situation so the team can plan accordingly.

Those great Steelers and Pat's defenses of the 2000s both believed in forcing teams to the outside with both the run and pass. They always had studs up the middle at NT, MLB and safety. Not sure if Quinn takes the same approach but it makes perfect sense.

JayFord

Reaction score
Have your oline and your star QB and give us an average defense

instant 10-6

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before the 2020 season a lot of media types were predicting the Cowboys for the Super Bowl.

There is enough talent to be a contender. Just need healthy bodies and add some pieces (new DC - DONE!) to fix the defense.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Before the 2020 season a lot of media types were predicting the Cowboys for the Super Bowl.

There is enough talent to be a contender. Just need healthy bodies and add some pieces (new DC - DONE!) to fix the defense.

There is talent on the offensive side but I think the defensive said was completely misread from a talent perspective along with some huge misses in FA. Outside of DLaw we really don't have a top 10 (or top 20 even) talent on that side of the ball.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
3 & Out: From 6-10 To Contention? Here's How

kpvm7jx0qlruams4ncyz

FRISCO, Texas – Back with three quick topics as we move toward Super Bowl week, and for the Cowboys, an offseason full of big decisions has already begun.

• The Bucs' Rise
  • Defense, Defense, Defense
  • Senior Bowl
I Know…
you can't use the Buccaneers' Super Bowl path as a template for the Cowboys.

This time of year it's become customary, bordering on cliché, to ask, "What can the Cowboys learn from {insert NFC Champion} heading into next season?" This year, don't. Tampa Bay is a pretty unique study.

So, there's no model for the Cowboys to follow here. Their path has been completely different. Compared to the Bucs' recent draft history, they've had two losing seasons in the previous 10 years. In that span they earned a top-10 pick twice and 15 total picks in the top 50.

I'm not making excuses. Obviously the Cowboys made several scheme and personnel decisions last year, particularly on defense, that didn't pan out. Combine that with some ridiculously bad injury luck, and 2020 was one of their more disappointing seasons in recent memory.

I Think…
the Cowboys should improve in 2021, but it can't just be about a healthy offense.

Read Full Story

1. Get a new owner
2. Get a new GM
3 Get a new QB

Thats 3.

75boyz

Reaction score
1. Get a new owner
2. Get a new GM
3 Get a new QB

Thats 3.

Since they are the same person within this organization I guess you could combine numbers 1 and 2 and I'd add Get a new HC.

Other than that, totally agree.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Player grades at the end of the season suggested that talent was vastly overrated, especially on defense.

Media types say things for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is getting attention.

This team is not as talented as we'd like to believe. Defensively, it's not even close to contention.