News: DC: 5 Options To Replace Tyron Smith At Left Tackle

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
My guess here is that Ball is our starting LT and McGovern is the starting LG.

McGovern has the experience. He has at least seen a defense in a real game. He can potentially help out Ball with calls etc.

Having two rookies start on the left side is risky.
So why Ball instead of Smith?

BlindFaith

Reaction score

Ball has at least been in the system for a year. Sitting in meetings, reviewing tape, talking with vets. And hes actually been playing there this preseason.

Im not down on Ball as most are. And I do think Smith will be good. It could be that he is the long term answer at LT. Or maybe Ball shows that hes at least not a liability at LT and Smith stays inside.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
This team needs Tyler Smith to move outside & start at LT now. Is he the only option? No. But he’s the best one internally. Even if Dallas determines Smith isn’t ready to start against Tampa & turns outside, the rookie should begin to get the majority of his snaps at LT from this point forward.

We've seen this numerous of times. Rookie replacing an injured vet w/retirement knocking on the door.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My guess here is that Ball is our starting LT and McGovern is the starting LG.

McGovern has the experience. He has at least seen a defense in a real game. He can potentially help out Ball with calls etc.

Having two rookies start on the left side is risky.
I can’t see that. If they play Ball at LT, I think for sure LG will be Smith.

I do think it very well might end up with Ball/Smith on the left side.

It’ll be interesting to see how they play it.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I can’t see that. If they play Ball at LT, I think for sure LG will be Smith.

I do think it very well might end up with Ball/Smith on the left side.

It’ll be interesting to see how they play it.

McCarthy basically said that McGovern is slightly ahead if Smith at this point. Nate the great said McGovern should start.

Oline is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to come in and excel at.

If Tyrone was starting then I think they may go with Tyler. Best way to get experience is to play. But hed have an all pro there helping him out.

If they go with Ball at OT, I just think they go the safer route by playing McGovern. At least for the first few games.

Sydla

Reaction score

Because Smith hasn't taken a snap at LT since early July. I don't know if they can get him up to speed in such a short time. Plus, remember, he has an ankle injury that is keeping him out tonight so he could be shelved for a few more days beyond today.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
McCarthy basically said that McGovern is slightly ahead if Smith at this point. Nate the great said McGovern should start.

Oline is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to come in and excel at.

If Tyrone was starting then I think they may go with Tyler. Best way to get experience is to play. But hed have an all pro there helping him out.

If they go with Ball at OT, I just think they go the safer route by playing McGovern. At least for the first few games.
Maybe so… we will all find out soon enough.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever is going to happen, I doubt it happens until after Tuesday.

ESisback

Reaction score
Whatever the solution…

If it fails: “I told everyone! The Cowboys suck! Worst FO ever!”

if it succeeds: “A fluke! They got lucky! Worst division, easiest schedule! Worst FO!”

Plan revealed in the next four or five days, IMHO.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
They could have signed another Ty Nsekhe or Cam Fleming in March...
But they are rollling out with this guy instead

R41044-00-Perey-Turnstyle-rental.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Honestly, if they won't bring in a vet, I say let Smith go out there and sink or swim. It could be ugly early but maybe some payoffs down the road. Just hope Dak doesn't get killed while the kid learns.

Whatever, its hopeless at this point until we fix this Oline. Put him out there. If DAk gets killed, so be it. We could use another top 10 pick for another lineman.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, this is a massive screw up by the front office. They knew Tyron was an injury risk but bizarrely thought that between Ball and Waletzko, they had a guy who could fill in a for a game or two.

At this point, all we are left with is hope because at the end of the day, who here trusts Jerry and Stephen to actually fix the problem? So at this point, just throw Tyler out there and hope he learns. I see that as a better option than Ball at this point.

Hope is gone. At least for me. But the truth is that if all they are ever going to do is build through the draft we will be better off with a high pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like the push that we're seeing with Tyler at OG. That's going to be huge for the running game. I'd keep that going and try Ball out at LT.
If Ball stumbles, at that point I'd move Tyler to LT and bring in Mcgovern at OG.

Ball sucks. That has 100% been determined. The guy cant block 3rd stringers.