DC.COM: Applying Pressure: Q&A With DeMarcus Ware

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
SIAP... I didn't see it anywhere.

Applying Pressure: Q&A With DeMarcus Ware
DallasCowboys.com Report
October 30, 2008 3:00 PM

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware might have had his consecutive-game sack streak broken last week, but the Pro Bowler and All-Pro seems just as ready to start a new streak Sunday against the Giants.

Ware said getting pressure on Giants quarterback Eli Manning will be the key for defensive success, but creating some turnovers, a problem area so far this season for the Cowboys, is also a must.

What do you think about the media not giving you guys a chance this week?

WARE: I mean, if they're 6-1 and we're 4-3 and we've been having an up and down season, no one's going to give you a chance. But the thing is, I feel like we're back in action. I feel like we're stronger than we were at the beginning of the season, even though we have a lot of injuries and everything. No one's going to give you a chance, but the guys here have to be motivated and ready to play.

You're not giving yourself enough credit, DeMarcus . . . your team is 5-3.

WARE: Hey, you know what? I'm telling you, the season goes by so fast, I don't even know what game we're on. I just know we play the Giants this week.

How important is it to get pressure on Eli Manning?

WARE: It's very important because he reads blitzes really well. I mean, really well. We've got to be able to get pressure on him and keep him rattled, because if he gets comfortable back there in the pocket, he can beat you.

This is like a season filled with drama this year already?

WARE: Yeah. You've had new guys come in like Roy. You had Roy Williams get hurt, I don't know, at least five or six guys that are starters or key guys on this team that have been hurt. Adam Jones being out. So there's a lot of drama going on, but the thing is, people don't see how strong a team is. We're still winning. We're 5-3 now and we're still moving. We played one of our best games last week. I think that people don't realize that, but we're moving on.

What does this defense need to do to be successful this week?

WARE: You always have to get turnovers. We've got to create a lot of turnovers and give (the offense) more opportunities to get touchdowns and score points. That's what we have to do. That's what all defenses have to do.

Do you have more pressure on the pass-rushers this week with the young cornerbacks in the lineup?

WARE: I like that word: pressure. That's exactly what our defense does best, and that's what we've got to do this week. There's always a lot of pressure on the cornerbacks to cover guys. We rely a lot on our rush, and we rely a lot on them, because we play a lot of man-to-man and zone blitz a lot. Then you've got a lot of young guys in there, too, but they played well last week. I think they're going to turn it up a notch this week.

What kind of motivation do you have this week considering the Giants beat you in the playoffs last year?

WARE: You know what? I've been watching some of the old game film, and when you look on the field when we played here, it had "PLAYOFFS" on it. Something like that really motivates you. When I see that symbol on the field, it says "PLAYOFFS." That symbolizes a big game for us, and this week is a big game for us.

Is it tough to play with so many guys injured?

WARE: It's not even difficult. It's a lot of just intense anger when you're playing just any NFC team. It's sort of like you're winning two games, especially any NFC East team, as good as they are. I think we'll be ready.

It sounds like the Giants are quite confident this week?

WARE: I think we're just going to postmark all the comments. We'll just comment on those things at the end of the game and see what happens.

What is the mood around here this week?

WARE: I think it's a little bit more this week. I feel like we're coming back from a lot of adversity that we've been having during the season. But also, we're playing a big game this week. A game that we lost last season that we feel like we shouldn't have lost. We'll just try to redeem ourselves some way. It's hard because guys on this team can't expect that it's enough. People still think that we suck. Regardless of that, we've got to go out and prove it every week like everybody else does.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Some HD snaps from recent games.

http://img370.*************/img370/6617/91373401qs4.jpg

Temo

Reaction score
jobberone;2387805 said:
Hard to believe he didn't know what our record was.

Dude, I don't know the record sometimes. I always remember how many losses the cowboys have, but I forget now and then how many wins they have.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
I think he made a really valid point about the record and the injuries.

It made me think how many teams in the league with the amount of injuries we have and specially since most are key players will have a 5-3 record.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
as Purcells would say, Demarcus is one of those players you don't have to worry about

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Ware is angry. That is a good thing.

IMO Wade should have Ware rushing on the strongside against Kareem McKenzie. McKenzie cannot contain Ware's speed.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jobberone;2387805 said:
Hard to believe he didn't know what our record was.

Not really. After you are done with one game it is immediately off to the next. Like the Tuna use to say, it is a bunker mentality with little to no time for reflection.