DC.COM Blog: The Case For Bradie James

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by jellis at 12/16/2008 3:01 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

The 2009 Pro Bowl teams were just announced, with five Cowboys earning trips to Hawaii, including four starters.

Nose tackle Jay Ratliff earned his first Pro Bowl selection, and rightly so. There's another defensive standout who put up an all-star caliber season who has been left off - Bradie James.

James leads the Cowboys in tackles (169) in a career year. He also leads all NFL inside linebackers in sacks with 6.0, but he was passed over for San Francisco's Patrick Willis and Jon Beason of Carolina. Those guys are No. 2 and No. 3 in tackles according to the official statbook kept at games. Coaches generally add more tackles after watching the game film.

But Beason has no sacks (he does have three interceptions) and Willis has only one sack and one pick.

James might have been passed over because of a late emergence. While he's been steady all season, the sacks are a somewhat recent occurance. His first sack came in Week Seven against St. Louis.

It's hard to imagine a middle linebacker who has played better than James over the second half of the year, but for this season, the Cowboys captain appears to have flown under the radar.

-Josh Ellis

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hate to see Brady James not get in but I'm very happy with his play this year. I think if he can build off this season where he is being noticed then next year he will have a chance to make the pro bowl. James has really elevated his game and for that I'm extremely pleased.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Isn't that normally a trend though? Don't players normally wind up going a year after they really should have? Usually they have a quality year, and follow that up with another good year, even at times not quite as good, but there is a buzz about them that season that allows them to get in.

If Bradie plays this well again next year he'll have a legit shot at a Pro Bowl, though I'd imagine he'll gladly take a pro bowl snub for a Superbowl Ring.

khiladi

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2501491 said:
Posted by jellis at 12/16/2008 3:01 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

The 2009 Pro Bowl teams were just announced, with five Cowboys earning trips to Hawaii, including four starters.

Nose tackle Jay Ratliff earned his first Pro Bowl selection, and rightly so. There's another defensive standout who put up an all-star caliber season who has been left off - Bradie James.

James leads the Cowboys in tackles (169) in a career year. He also leads all NFL inside linebackers in sacks with 6.0, but he was passed over for San Francisco's Patrick Willis and Jon Beason of Carolina. Those guys are No. 2 and No. 3 in tackles according to the official statbook kept at games. Coaches generally add more tackles after watching the game film.

But Beason has no sacks (he does have three interceptions) and Willis has only one sack and one pick.

James might have been passed over because of a late emergence. While he's been steady all season, the sacks are a somewhat recent occurance. His first sack came in Week Seven against St. Louis.

It's hard to imagine a middle linebacker who has played better than James over the second half of the year, but for this season, the Cowboys captain appears to have flown under the radar.

-Josh Ellis

Brady really came on when Wade started taking over. And Dallas' defense started getting credit when Wade took over. Now, the pundits are making it known this defense is coming on. So it isn't just Bradie, but this whole defense.

If this defense was playing like this all year long, Bradie would have made the pro-bowl most likely...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Ol' Bradie came on strong the last half of the year. Had he been consistent all year he'd be in.
He really has matured onfield.
He used to be so confused onfield and very active but doing little.
Then, bam! he hit his stride and got some confidence (and swagger).
If he keeps it up, next year he is in.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
I got a feeling our players finally realized the pro bowl tag means nothing without a later december, january run to go with it. I hope im right, and it seems like it, at least on defense. Our players want that ring, and this defense looks mean..

alancdc

Reaction score
I love the Boys, but being here in Carolina territory there is no doubt that Beason deserved to get in man. He is a true beast and has been playing at a Pro Bowl level all year. Hope James will play with a chip though. Whatever works.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501497 said:
I hate to see Brady James not get in but I'm very happy with his play this year. I think if he can build off this season where he is being noticed then next year he will have a chance to make the pro bowl. James has really elevated his game and for that I'm extremely pleased.

With Beason, Willis, and Urlacher in the NFC..... Bradie James will never sniff the Pro Bowl (barring injuries).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Vintage;2501885 said:
With Beason, Willis, and Urlacher in the NFC..... Bradie James will never sniff the Pro Bowl (barring injuries).

Sorry I don't believe in Never. No doubt those are some quality players but if James goes out and proves himself week in and week out then yes he can make it

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Coming from a guy who bashed Bradie back in 2006 when I thought he played poorly I am very happy that he is now turning into a top notch ILB for this team.

For him not to be going to the Pro Bowl ahead of Beason is a terrible injustice.

He's a much better player than Beason and he's now leading a defense that it much better than the Panthers D.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Bradie James is a good player but at some point and time, alot of players get the shaft.

If he continues to play at a high level, he will eventually get noticed.

I would be mad if I had a Pro Bowl Clause in my contract though ;) .