DC.com Video: Chris Canty on Talkin Cowboys (Transcript)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WG Note: I missed a question w/Henry talking about Canty and Canty talking about benefits of playing in this defense. But this is the bulk of it. You can listen to it on DC.COM

Sham gives background on Canty

Sham
What was your mental approach to last year? How different do you feel going into this year?

Canty
A year ago this time, I couldn't work out, I was kinda at the facility watching tape, watching game film. Trying to understand how to do my job at the professional level. I really knew alot of the plays. I played for Al (Groh) in college and it was the same system.

(Gave a lil background on Groh coaching under Parcells)

Just getting past medical circumstances...pause... I knew I could play football, but was my knee going to hold up. You know. That was the biggest thing. I knew my eye was going to be fine. But was my knee going to hold up in training camp and over a 20 weeks of an NFL season.

They took it really slow in the beginning; just to see where I was at physically. But, once they threw me in the fire, kinda got a few plays under my belt. I said, "Hey, this is football. This is what I do." I got more comfortable as the weeks passed. And I was able to execute my assignments.

I think the biggest adjustment from the college to the professional level, for me, was learning how to execute my job against bigger, faster, and stronger opponents. So I think that was my biggest adjustment LAST YEAR.

This year I'm 20 lbs heavier. I'm stronger. I feel great. I think I'm more athletic than I've ever been. And it's just been a real treat for me to finally be healthy and to be going into training camp in a positive frame of mind with the camerarderie (sp?) of my teammates and looking forward to building up to that championship caliber team.

Question:
So you're 20 lbs heavier now. What are you weighing now?

Canty
I'm 305.

Question:
305. Is that your reporting weight, too?

Canty
Nooo. My reporting weight is 300.

(a bunch of laughing)

Sham

Question:
Henry asked about working w/Canty and the rest of DL

Henry
(Missed his response)

Sham
Question: Can you tell the difference in Canty in Mini-camp

Henry (only got a part of it, cuz I was moving around)
Oh yeah. Cuz usually you have to hold. (Motions as to how Canty stands over him) I could definitely tell how big he's gotten and the kinda impact he's gonna make on the field for us.

Jones
Talks about Canty's ability to play in both 3-4 and 4-3

Canty
Basically talked up the defense, the players in it. Mentioned everyone on the DL except Fergie, I think. And just said how good it was gonna be.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
305? That is a good sized DE. With his potential, I don't know how anyone is going to keep him off the field this coming season.

J-DOG

Reaction score
There were times last year that you could see the confidence that Canty plays with.
Canty,Spears and Ware have so much potential in our 3-4 defense it's almost comical we got all 3 of those guys in 1 draft.
Dang I wish training camp started tomorrow!

Bizwah

Reaction score
Canty is very well-spoken. I was very skeptical of him last year....but he's made a believer out of me. I think the Cardinal game last year was a very good one for him.

I also like the looks our DL can throw out.

3-4
Canty: 6-7 300
Fergeson: 6-2 305
Spears: 6-4 300
Nice, stout, athletic 3-4 line

4-3
Ellis: 6-6 270
Ware: 6-4 265 (if reports are true)
Nice pass rush look

Goalline
Fergeson: 6-2 305
Stanley: 6-2 315
LB
Carpenter: 6-3 255
James: 6-2 245
Ware: 6-4 265
That's some beef up front.

We'll also have nice rotation players...
Ratliff: 6-3 295
Pepper: 6-2 300
Hatcher: 6-6 290

Wow!

I love the look of our DL. The best part is, we have youth there. Canty, Spears, Stanley, Hatcher, Ratliff are all young guys. We can really give teams fits with the 3-4 or 4-3. Hopefully, we can keep this group intact...or at least get some return for them (in the form of draft picks) when it comes time for them to get paid.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Interesting that Canty mentioned Jay Ratliff in the middle and not Ferguson. Maybe he was just talking about last years rookie crop but it does make you wonder if perhaps his feeling is that Ratliff might take the starting spot from Fergi?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My question is simply........will we finally see a decent pass rush this year. On paper we look outstanding. On the field?????

STSINAZ

Reaction score
REMEMBER canty, spears and fergy were hampered going into the year...its going to be crazy this year with all of them healthy if they can stay that way

NorTex

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Interesting that Canty mentioned Jay Ratliff in the middle and not Ferguson. Maybe he was just talking about last years rookie crop but it does make you wonder if perhaps his feeling is that Ratliff might take the starting spot from Fergi?

And no mention of Spears...that's weird.:eek:

Reaction score
Exactly. He was talking about playing DE on 1st & 2nd down, and then going to the 3-techniche on 3rd down with Ware & Ellis coming off the edge, and Ratliff playing the other DT position, which would give them a quicker pass rusher in the middle.

What got me stoked is that he is at a solid 300lbs. @ 6-7, and in the best physical condition of his career! So, you know those extra 20lbs. he's carrying aren't love handles. Man, I can't wait. I remember when Leon Lett was a backup DT in the early nineties, and they were interviewing one of the position coaches, maybe Wannstadt. He talked about how, "It's not too often you have a 6-6, 300lb. DT with his athletic ability." As we all know, Lett went on to have several years as a starter, going to the Pro-Bowl once or twice. I see Canty eventually becoming that Lett type player-without being a head case. Canty lives for football, & that is so important when you add his smarts, agressiveness, and natural ability.

I know I sound like the typical homer, but I just have a gut feeling that this is going to be a very special year.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
he's talking about the nickel
Yeah I listened to it again and I see he was talking about a specific package. Spears was mentioned by others in the PC several times so I didn't notice his absence from Canty's comments. I guess I should listen twice next time (or maybe once without the grandson talking in my other ear) before commenting.

All in all I am very encouraged to have Canty put on the muscle. I always felt that he was too slender for his position and he was still good; now he should be a beast. With a starting front 3 all weighing in at 300 (or more) it is going to be hard to move them off the line. I am really getting excited about this defense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
J-DOG said:
There were times last year that you could see the confidence that Canty plays with.
Canty,Spears and Ware have so much potential in our 3-4 defense it's almost comical we got all 3 of those guys in 1 draft.

Agreed. And the word was 2005 was going to be a bad draft class.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
:laugh1:

MMWWOOO-HAAAA-HAAA-HAAA-HAAA-HAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!!!!!!!

(very evil laugh above!!)

MAN! I think I'm gonna enjoy watching the defense even more than Bledsoe to TO... aint that sick?!

Doomsday reborn!!:eek: