DC.COM: Wade and Tony Romo Conference Call w/KC media...explains 4th down play

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Did these happen today? Isn't it Wednesday? I thought I just read something from JJT that Romo doesn't talk to media on Wednesday anymore?

Hmmm....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2998524 said:
Did these happen today? Isn't it Wednesday? I thought I just read something from JJT that Romo doesn't talk to media on Wednesday anymore?

Hmmm....

Local Media

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ahhh. Well ok. I guess if he puts in there only the local media. I got the impression from the article that he didn't talk to media on Wednesday anymore. Which I took to mean all media.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2998524 said:

Hmmm....

JJT thinks there's a reason Romo's not talking to the local media any more; that the reason he is not may be significant. Actually, Romo is talking to the media - IN KC, he's just not talking to JJT. So might we conclude that Tomy considers talking to the KC media significant and talking to JJT irrelevant? I mean, I think of JJT as pretty irrelevant myself... :laugh2:

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
jzcowboy;2998595 said:
Can somebody recap?

"so what? if losing a football game is the worst thing that happens to me, I've lived a pretty good life"

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Haha, so Tony was trying to work a 5th down type thing. He mentions the Nebraska game. Well, not much to the conf call, he sounds a little down tho.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
jzcowboy;2998595 said:
Can somebody recap?

Wade Phillips: "It's the same feeling you get when you order a quarter-pounder with extra cheese and they don't give you the extra cheese. I mean, all you can do is look at the drive-thru tape to see who made the mistake. I can't say for sure until I see the tape. But all I can do is move on and keep ordering the extra cheese. Hopefully next time thay'll get the order right. We'll see......Hey, who took my fries...?

Tony Romo: I mean…you know…I don’t know…we took what they gave us…you know?...but…I mean…we had the right call…you know?...I mean…all you can do is try to get better…I mean...like on the second play…you know…we ran it again…I mean…I thought we executed it a little better than the first time…you know?...I mean…it’s all you could ask for…get better...you know?...I don’t know…I mean...we’ll see…

FCBarca

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2998600 said:
Haha, so Tony was trying to work a 5th down type thing. He mentions the Nebraska game. Well, not much to the conf call, he sounds a little down tho.

It felt scripted...Prepared for the question and echoed what other players have said which does lend itself to the preposterous possibility that he indeed didn't know the down. :(

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
FCBarca;2998684 said:
It felt scripted...Prepared for the question and echoed what other players have said which does lend itself to the preposterous possibility that he indeed didn't know the down. :(

Ofcourse it'll feel scripted, based on the fact that, he scripted the team-provided explanation in the first place :rolleyes:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
xWraithx;2998598 said:
"so what? if losing a football game is the worst thing that happens to me, I've lived a pretty good life"

xWraithx;2998657 said:
"any one of 500 quarterbacks could have lost those Giants and Broncos games"

xWraithx;2998706 said:
"it was a great game. both teams played hard."
I'm seeing a pattern here.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DC.COM Blog

Romo Addresses Fourth-Down Confusion
Posted by nickeatman at 10/7/2009 2:58 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

While he still hasn’t talked to Dallas/Fort Worth reporters since the Broncos game, Tony Romo did conduct his weekly conference call with opposing media. While he was asked several questions about the Chiefs and former assistant coach Todd Haley, Romo was finally asked about the fourth-down play in Denver. One reporter asked him to set the record straight about the confusion:
I think it already was set straight. I think someone took something and ran with it. After the play, you end up looking over… it was fourth down, everyone knew it was fourth down. We called it in the huddle – it was our fourth down play.But as you’re walking off, the guy is moving the chain and the down marker – and the guy is moving the chain back because Denver has the ball. So he goes to 3, and I thought maybe the refs made a mistake for a second. You ever remember the Nebraska game? Five downs? I just thought maybe the refs had screwed up and they had that 3 on there the whole time. But believe me, if I would’ve thought we had an extra down, I would’ve been going crazy over there.
-Not sure about the Nebraska game? Am I forgetting a game? Maybe he meant Colorado-Missouri. But maybe we can just put this whole thing to rest.

For his sake and everyone else’s, let’s hope that’s exactly what went down.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo explains fourth-down play
3:12 PM Wed, Oct 07, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Tony Romo did not speak to the local media today - he's going to do that Thursday - but on a conference call with the Kansas City media he gave his side of the story, matching up with the statement the team put out late Tuesday

"It was fourth down, everybody knew it was fourth down," Romo said. "We called it in the huddle. The play call we had is our fourth-down play. And I told the guys, 'Last play' and everything. But as you're walking off the field the guy moving the far chain, the down marker or whatever back so because Denver has the ball and he goes to three and I look over and thought maybe the refs might have messed up for a second. You ever remember the Nebraska game? Five downs?

"I just thought the refs might have screwed up, like maybe they had the three on there the whole time or something like they didn't know or somethign like that. But believe me if I had thought we had an extra down I would've been going crazy over there."

I don't remember Nebraska being involved in a five-down game but Missouri was years ago againt Colorado.

Comments (8) Leave comment | E-mail entry