News: DC: Progress Report: How Tyron Smith Bounces Back

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Progress Report: How Tyron Smith Bounces Back

eiyqgyu0oviddtzycodh

Of all the players injured in 2021, a strong case could be for Tyron Smith as the one the Cowboys missed the most. We took a closer look at his status what impact his return will have on the season.

Read Full Story

75boyz

Reaction score
I still believe this decision is the number 2 overall priority next to QB, for the team going forward.
There is obvious durability uncertainty.

Trusting in Steele or Knight is a major gamble that should not be made.

Plan accordingly.

Additionally, If Collins' surgery recovery reports are not positive then moving Martin out to RT permanently should be on the table.

No matter how you frame it by looking at Mahommes' line in the SB, Rodgers loss of Bakhtiari or the Dallas 2020 line against Washington. Heck, even against NY in the second game. Or you could go all the way back to the Chaz Green experiment as another example of not planning accordingly.

However you want to look at it, Left Tackle is a HUGE offseason priority imo.

Assuming a return to full peak health and no missed games is not a proper back up plan strategy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tough situation and still too many unknowns at this point. Hopefully they will have a better idea where Smith and Collins are at in their recovery by draft time.
Actually a few weeks or so before the draft. So they can put together the draft board accordingly.

Yes, it should be BPA type of list. But much more to it than that.

Creeper

Reaction score
When Cam Erving was playing, I thought the biggest problem on the line was RT. They missed Collins more than Smith. But they clearly missed both of them.

I wish the article spent more time on how Smith's surgery was going to make him a better player, or how he is doing in his recovery.

I know some people are talking about letting Smith go and taking the CAP save, but then they need to find an adequate replacement. Using the #10 pick is not a sure thing. Look at the Giants last year picking Andrew Thomas. Signing a FA might be a better option but then the CAP save is negated so why not just keep Smith?

Carson

Reaction score
When Cam Erving was playing, I thought the biggest problem on the line was RT. They missed Collins more than Smith. But they clearly missed both of them.

I wish the article spent more time on how Smith's surgery was going to make him a better player, or how he is doing in his recovery.

I know some people are talking about letting Smith go and taking the CAP save, but then they need to find an adequate replacement. Using the #10 pick is not a sure thing. Look at the Giants last year picking Andrew Thomas. Signing a FA might be a better option but then the CAP save is negated so why not just keep Smith?

I could be wrong, but didn’t Smiths surgery correct mostly what’s been nagging him? Surgery and rest should go a long way if true

jrumann59

Reaction score

Because of HIPAA unless the player releases the statement no one else will. If Sewell drops to 10 I would draft him and find a spot. C/LG are not held on by anyone with a death grip. If NYG part ways with Hernandez I would also bring him in for depth flexibility with a competition. So if Sewell is drafted, Hernandez is let go by the NYG. Have competition between Sewell/Collins for RT, Have competition with Hernandez, Collins, McGovern, Williams at LG, and the guys left compete for center.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The sad part if this is he's only 30, he really should be still in his prime years as an OL. Looking back at all the games missed by Smith and the early retirement of Frederick the Cowboys have really missed out on some quality starts from two phenomenal offensive linemen.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
*Didn't he infer left tackle/Larry Allen's old position?

I don't know what's inferred. Larry Allen filled in at LT but that was due to injuries not by design. We lost both starting tackles this year and Zach was still at G. So, I'm pretty sure the plan isn't to move him. He's an all-pro G and on a HOF trajectory. You don't f with that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Tyron has been putting off surgery for years. Trying to just rehab the injuries.

I am hopeful that now just having surgery will help him and actually revitalize him.

We shall see of course. It could go the other way and be a sign of the end.

But regardless. Prior to this season. Tyron was consistently playing 13 games per year as one of the best in the league.

you don’t just get rid of 13 games per year of Top tier left tackle play. Especially at a good contract price.

I mean let’s keep things in perspective. This was the first season that Tyron missed more than 3 games. And that’s in a league where offensive lineman get hurt all the time.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
In my humble opinion if they can’t be 99.99% sure Tyron will be back and have a couple good seasons they need to cut bait now and draft a tackle in the first or second round. The position is too important to have someone that is unreliable starting.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don't know what's inferred. Larry Allen filled in at LT but that was due to injuries not by design. We lost both starting tackles this year and Zach was still at G. So, I'm pretty sure the plan isn't to move him. He's an all-pro G and on a HOF trajectory. You don't f with that.
All Pro? He is all world. Only in Dallas would you consider moving one of the best players in the league at his position. If Tyron can’t be relied on they need to use one of their first 2 picks to find his replacement.

J-man

Reaction score
It really all hinges on the health reports of Smith and Collins. If they are both expected back at 100% for the opener, OT is not a very big need and should not be drafted early. But if either, or both of them are projected to miss time or are struggling in their recovery then OT should be a high draft pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No matter what your plan is going into a season if you lose the top 3 OT for significant periods you will fail.
No team has 4-5 OT worth of depth without trading or getting insanely lucky.

Knowing what we now know it's a good thing they didn't try to trade for a better option early in the year.

But you can't count on guys who are out regularly.
This is the first lengtly absence of Tyron and La'el so you give them a hard look but move forward with them if they pass all the physicals imho.

I think Knight, Steele, Martin were all positives at OT last year BUT positives in sense they are legit options in nightmare scenarios.
Only Martin could start more than a couple weeks at OT for me ever again.

If Tyron is back to Tyron of 13 games then I can patch with Knight/Steele for a couple weeks. I might even rest Tyron week 17 were I in the playoffs for one of the young guys.
And if I need a RT I wouldn't hesitate to use Martin.

All that said if I can draft a healthier, ready to go say 1 OT at 10 I am not scared at all to do so if he is in my top tier of guys.
I am happily willing to look at Collijns, Tyron, CWill, Biadaz, Martin, McGovern and a Rookie at 10 like Slater and say what's my best 5.
Odds are pretty high out of 5 guys one will be hit with an injury that takes them well below 100%.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The sad part if this is he's only 30, he really should be still in his prime years as an OL. Looking back at all the games missed by Smith and the early retirement of Frederick the Cowboys have really missed out on some quality starts from two phenomenal offensive linemen.
In Tyron's case it is less about age and more about mileage. He came into the league at 20. Where most guys are 21-23 or 24.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry has the PR hype machine running 24/7. If this keeps up those PR folks will be putting in some serious overtime. I guess no vacation for them. That's it folks, got to convince enough of the fans that this horrible club is somehow serious about winning football games.