News: DC: Spagnola: Let’s Not Overly Complicate This Backup Quarterback Situation

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Spags company line doesnt hold water -hes such a shill. Talking about Beuerlein coming in, he had 11 weeks to learn the system you idiot ! Signed august 25th, played week 12.
Stupid analogy.
Look, its not an easy answer. But after the debacle last year they should have been more prepared.
Thats the problem, not Foles or McGown or who ever. Moore was a square peg in a round hole, and if he did not work out, what was plan B ? cause now they are scrambling - no matter what their shill says.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
And you know what? I’m not buying this business about a guy needs all this time to learn the system. I realize there are nuances in certain offenses, but people, we are not splitting the atom here. It’s football, for gosh sakes. To me, when I hear the guy has to learn the system, that’s coach-speak for he’s really not that good. Sometimes you have to be politically correct.

He's not buying it, everyone.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Spags is really reaching here, but the reality is this is about the worst time to lose a player, period. The 900 or so guys who will be on their couches waiting for the phone to ring next month are all on team rosters, there are no practice squads to raid, and we can't watch the wire for the early season roster churning. So, we wait. Looking ahead, if Tony stays healthy it won't really matter what happens, and if he doesn't stay healthy, based on what we experienced last year, it probably won't make a difference who we end up with anyway. Meanwhile, if Jameill or Dak could show enough in preseason to win the job outright so we don't have to bring in another QB, that would just be terrific.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Either he sees angles we haven't thought of or he's simply attempting to quiet the masses. Candidly, I can see some truth in the perspective that there wasn't much in terms of finding a QB that might have saved us from futility last year, in view of both Romo and Dez being absent.

Ideally, it'd be outstanding if Dallas manages to find someone capable of being "the guy" to step in and win in Romo's possible absence but at this late date, it's quite likely to be immensely difficult. Suffice it to say, it might be easier on the nerves to hope Romo remains healthy throughout 2016 and hope for the best in terms of someone to replace him as a backup. In any event, good luck if Romo gets sidelined -- we'll need it.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
07-minister.jpg

CCBoy

Reaction score
Either he sees angles we haven't thought of or he's simply attempting to quiet the masses. Candidly, I can see some truth in the perspective that there wasn't much in terms of finding a QB that might have saved us from futility last year, in view of both Romo and Dez being absent.

Ideally, it'd be outstanding if Dallas manages to find someone capable of being "the guy" to step in and win in Romo's possible absence but at this late date, it's quite likely to be immensely difficult. Suffice it to say, it might be easier on the nerves to hope Romo remains healthy throughout 2016 and hope for the best in terms of someone to replace him as a backup. In any event, good luck if Romo gets sidelined -- we'll need it.

Spag doesn't do media espionage...he simply takes a simple look and writes about what he sees.

There are functional dynanics that work, even when not the mood dominate view of some fans.

He just adds to considerations...that is good by nature.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Spag doesn't do media espionage...he simply takes a simple look and writes about what he sees.

There are functional dynanics that work, even when not the mood dominate view of some fans.

He just adds to considerations...that is good by nature.

I can see where there's something to be said favoring much of what he writes, not to say I agree with all of it but that's to be expected.

I'm not nearly as critical of his articles as some here. Much of what he comes up with appeals to reason, imo, and some not so much.

I certainly wouldn't argue with his assertions that what happened last year was fairly unavoidable in light of Romo's and Dez's absence.

Additionally, the inability of our defense to make up for our scoring deficiency on offense only served to compound a horrible situation.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What's it matter?

We all saw last year that unless Romo starts playing street ball and calls all the plays at the line, we lose

This crayon offense Garrett has installed is laughable and that is why we lost virtually every game without Romo. Even the game we did win against the Skins was because stupid arse DeSean Jackson handed it to us on a silver platter with one of the biggest gaffe plays of all time

So the backup doesn't matter, we will not win a game without Romo unless the other team practically gives us the game

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Regardless, there is no excuse for 1-11 and there is no excuse for the run run pass offense and being incredibly predictable.

Our coaches were more to blame then the backups. Of course they are going to fail if the other team knows what we're doing constantly.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Regardless, there is no excuse for 1-11 and there is no excuse for the run run pass offense and being incredibly predictable.

Our coaches were more to blame then the backups. Of course they are going to fail if the other team knows what we're doing constantly.

Yeah, I'd have to agree the offense was predictable. Maybe some of that could have been avoided if we passed more often on 1st down.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score

This is the point that mainstream media keeps missing. All week long BSPN analysts and talking heads were talking about this injury as if we just lost a top tier backup.

It's as if they have selective amnesia and don't recall that Kellen Moore stunk it up last year just like every other QB on the Cowboys' roster not named Romo.

That said, I completely agree with you that the inability to win a meaningful game without Romo highlights just how ineffective Jason Garrett is as a head coach.

Last edited:

cej757

Reaction score
This is the point that mainstream media keeps missing. All week long BSPN analysts and talking heads were talking about this injury as if we just lost a top tier backup.

It's as if they have selective amnesia and don't recall that Kellen Moore stunk it up last year just like every other QB on the Cowboys' roster not named Romo.

That said, I completely agree with you that the inability to win a meaningful game without Romo highlights just how ineffective Jason Garrett is as a head coach.

Romo didn't look all that great either to be honest.:(

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

That said, I completely agree with you that the inability to win a meaningful game without Romo highlights just high ineffective Jason Garrett is as a head coach.

Agree, IMO the way the FO, and Coaches handled the QB position last year had an effect on Nick Foles coming to Dallas. Could be why Dwight Freeney and other FA's did not sign with Dallas. Players and Agents talk to each other, they know what coaches and organizations they want to play for and who will over pay for players... Cowboys are just not an attractive spot for players who want a championship or get paid. This organization is stuck in the 1990's style NFL management with 2016 players. They have no clue how to WIN in the Salary Cap Era

The 1995 Superbowl was such a long time ago...

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score

No excuse?