DCcom. blog: What's Left For The O-Line?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Well, not much, really. The Cowboys are more settled there than you might think.

Let’s quickly go down the line, so to speak:

Bill Parcells seems encouraged by Flozell Adams’ progress with his surgically-repaired knee. That’s a good sign for the line’s most important player.

Seems like a good situation at left guard. Parcells is pleased with both Kyle Kosier and Cory Procter. Always nice to have a guy like Kosier, who has played every line spot but center.

Center isn’t settled yet, but Al Johnson and Andre Gurode rotated there last year. No rookies or injury questions at this spot. The two might even rotate again this year.

Marco Rivera’s back to 100 percent after suffering an off-season back injury last year. Nuff said.

Right tackle? Hmm…should know something soon. My prediction: Colombo wins the job in part because of Petitti’s experience at left tackle. He knows both spots and the Cowboys need a swing guy. That breaks a close tie.

Published Friday, August 18, 2006 7:01 PM by rphillips

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I feel that our O-Line is underrated. When you have a statue for a Quarterback in Bledsoe, of course a whole lot of sacks will be given up. But if you have Tony Romo, it wouldn't be too many sacks given up, and more O-Lineman would make it to the pro bowl.:D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RealCowboyfan said:
I feel that our O-Line is underrated. When you have a statue for a Quarterback in Bledsoe, of course a whole lot of sacks will be given up. But if you have Tony Romo, it wouldn't be too many sacks given up, and more O-Lineman would make it to the pro bowl.:D

Turning it into a QB controversy thread? Or just being sarcastic? :laugh2:

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Man, we're getting too many mixed signals:

Some writers say we're in dire trouble.

Other writers say that our OL will be just fine.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Man, we're getting too many mixed signals:

Some writers say we're in dire trouble.

Other writers say that our OL will be just fine.

notice that no one is saying it will be great. it won't. but hopefully we'll be in a position next year that one solid line addition is going to make it great

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:
notice that no one is saying it will be great. it won't. but hopefully we'll be in a position next year that one solid line addition is going to make it great
You mean the addition of a mobile QB like .... say .... ROMO?!?! ;)

MONT17

Reaction score
let me just say this if the OL was fine then why is it such a HOT TOPIC? have u seen these guys... not much to write about if they were good!!!

the Cowboys play in the NFCE where 2 teams use blitzing on a regular basis to get to the QB the other has added a PASS RUSHING DE and OLB to one of the best pass rushing tandems in the NFL!

ok or good may not cut it with a QB who cant read a defense, I mean, tries to be the hero every play!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
let me just say this if the OL was fine then why is it such a HOT TOPIC? have u seen these guys... not much to write about if they were good!!!

the Cowboys play in the NFCE where 2 teams use blitzing on a regular basis to get to the QB the other has added a PASS RUSHING DE and OLB to one of the best pass rushing tandems in the NFL!

ok or good may not cut it with a QB who cant read a defense, I mean, tries to be the hero every play!!!
Because it's the weakest point on a very strong team. FS used to be a major area of concern discussed almost every day, but now we're hopeful that Watkins is the long-term answer. DT is an area of concern, but Ferguson has had a good camp and performed well in the Seattle game, and he is backed up with Pepper who seems to be coming along well (and there's also Mont. Stanley who should come on strong next season).

Other than that everything else is filled by good to great players? Let's go through the list.

DL - Check
LBs - Check
DBs - Check
RBs - Check
WRs - Check
TEs - Check
QB - Check

I guarantee you that if we had a legitimate QB controversy and no depth at WR or LB you wouldn't hear a peep about the Oline. It would be considered a strong-point on the team (that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing either), but since every other position is sound, it gets the most attention.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:

Well not really. Romo may have the ability to buy himself some more time than what Bledsoe could. But our line is still stinking it up in the running game. I didn't see alot of running lanes opened up the other night.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Man, we're getting too many mixed signals: Some writers say we're in dire trouble. Other writers say that our OL will be just fine.

Did you see Jason Wittwen on "NFL's Total Access"? They asked him something like: What's the one story in camp that you you think the media has passed over or not taked about enough?" Jason's answer was about the OL and he said something like: The OL has been much improved and will be good this season to help along the passing and running game. I thought that was interesting because it's the first time this offseason that good publicity about the OL is coming from a palyer who had to play more blocking schemes last year because the OL was suspect. It sdounded like Witten was more focused on being a reciever again in the passing game, and that can only happen if the OL is indeed improved.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
kojak_DD said:
Well not really. Romo may have the ability to buy himself some more time than what Bledsoe could. But our line is still stinking it up in the running game. I didn't see alot of running lanes opened up the other night.

Yeah, I didn't see the game, but how did JJ look? He only had 14 yards off 7 carries, so that really worries me, esp. if Seattle was playing backups.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Yeah, I didn't see the game, but how did JJ look? He only had 14 yards off 7 carries, so that really worries me, esp. if Seattle was playing backups.

The line was horrible trying to open up holes for the running game. The run up the middle which Parcells seems to love so much was nothing but a pile of bodie. JJ had to scrape just to get any yards, same goes for Barber. Kincaid(sp) done a good job of adjusting around the line to find lanes for himself. I thought he was the best running back the other night.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DragonCowboy said:

He looked better than his stat line. I thought he hit the runs betweeen the tackles aggressively, there just wasn't anywhere to go at that point. He showed his cutback ability on a play or two. A few of his best plays were called back by unnecesary penalties, too, though they were passes. He didn't play all that much, of course.

It'll be important to have our starters set after the NO game, so the first team can work together as a unit on the pulling we're going to be doing this year for the rest of preseason.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
kojak_DD said:
The line was horrible trying to open up holes for the running game. The run up the middle which Parcells seems to love so much was nothing but a pile of bodie. JJ had to scrape just to get any yards, same goes for Barber. Kincaid(sp) done a good job of adjusting around the line to find lanes for himself. I thought he was the best running back the other night.

Idgit said:
He looked better than his stat line. I thought he hit the runs betweeen the tackles aggressively, there just wasn't anywhere to go at that point. He showed his cutback ability on a play or two. A few of his best plays were called back by unnecesary penalties, too, though they were passes. He didn't play all that much, of course.

It'll be important to have our starters set after the NO game, so the first team can work together as a unit on the pulling we're going to be doing this year for the rest of preseason.

so the OL is at fault, and not the RB?

Hopefully we can see a better OL at Shreveport.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Did you see Jason Wittwen on "NFL's Total Access"? They asked him something like: What's the one story in camp that you you think the media has passed over or not taked about enough?" Jason's answer was about the OL and he said something like: The OL has been much improved and will be good this season to help along the passing and running game. I thought that was interesting because it's the first time this offseason that good publicity about the OL is coming from a palyer who had to play more blocking schemes last year because the OL was suspect. It sdounded like Witten was more focused on being a reciever again in the passing game, and that can only happen if the OL is indeed improved.

that and the 2TE set will allow the other TE to stay and pass protect while he goes out for a pass

Manster68

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
that and the 2TE set will allow the other TE to stay and pass protect while he goes out for a pass

Of course, that 2nd TE is actually taking the fullback's place. Your point is well taken.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
so the OL is at fault, and not the RB?

Hopefully we can see a better OL at Shreveport.

Well good point. But if we plan on having any kind of running game the O-line will need to generate running lanes and open holes. And the other night was a below average performance.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
No matter how you cut it, the Oline is a question mark. They do have the ability to become solid and a team strength. They also have an equal ability to be the downfall of an otherwise better then average team.

The D is scary good. The receivers, as much as it pains me, is top tier and has to demand the opponenets respect and attention. The Running game is solid with moves from Jones, Bowling ball from Barber and flat out speed with Thompson. QB, I am thinking we will be ok this year and beyond.

It all hinges on the Oline. They are the make or break, they are the weakest link. How strong they really become will be indicitive to how far we go in january and maybe into February.

Bottom Line.

(all dependent on el dorado keeping his head right with ball, if he goes south, all bets are off!)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Nice accessment......however, I believe we better make one good trade on the OL.....IMO