Deadliest Catch, New Season, Tuesday night.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
I've been watching this show since Discovery Channel ran the series of the deadliest jobs in the world, and someone got the idea to make a show out of it.

I'm very curious how they are going to start off the season, knowing that one of the main Captains passes away at the start of the Opelio season. They should dedicate it to him, but then that makes the season spooky because you know its coming at some point down the line.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3343187 said:
I've been watching this show since Discovery Channel ran the series of the deadliest jobs in the world, and someone got the idea to make a show out of it.

I'm very curious how they are going to start off the season, knowing that one of the main Captains passes away at the start of the Opelio season. They should dedicate it to him, but then that makes the season spooky because you know its coming at some point down the line.

It won't be the same without Phil. :(

But as long as Edgar is still around I'll watch it. Dude is a maniac sometimes. lol

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
It is going to be sad without Phil. I wonder if they will continue to follow the Cornelia Marie as much as they did, or if they will work another boat into the group.

I wish they would move it from Tuesday nights, though. Tuesday is such a great TV night already!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Faerluna;3343301 said:
It is going to be sad without Phil. I wonder if they will continue to follow the Cornelia Marie as much as they did, or if they will work another boat into the group.

I wish they would move it from Tuesday nights, though. Tuesday is such a great TV night already!

Yup Lost, V, and Justified :D

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3343324 said:
Yup Lost, V, and Justified :D

Pfft! :D

NCIS, NCIS:LA and The Good Wife! I'm already having to catch up with Parenthood or sometimes I can catch it on reruns.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I love this show and it will be very sad without Phil cause he was my favorite captain.

I'm very interested to see how this season will play out and how they'll go about covering this very sad situation.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Based on the promos they've been showing for the upcoming season, they're going to use what they'd already filmed with Phil Harris and the Cornelia Marie during king crab season. He didn't get sick until the 1st weeks of opie season in Dec.

I'm betting they have a nice tribute to him to start out tomorrow's opening episode.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phil was above all a fighter, especially in the last years of his life when he was forced to confront serious health issues. According to his family:

"Even a major medical scare didn't keep Phil down for long. He spent the summer of 2008 gathering strength and doing promotions for his Captain's Reserve Gourmet Coffee company. Although Phil was deemed healthy enough to travel on land, the doctor wouldn't allow him to return to the rigors of the Bering Sea for the next (2008) king crab season. Disappointed but in compliance, Phil followed his doctor's orders."

"January 2009 brought the return of opie season and Phil headed north to Dutch Harbor. His sons, crew members, the rest of the fleet and all his Deadliest Catch fans were thrilled about his return. Phil was back in his happy place; the worn-out, ugly chair at the helm of the Cornelia Marie."

"It was one of the worst winters on the Bering Sea in many years. Struggles with the ice were almost overwhelming at times, and the season seemed to drag on forever. In the end, the Cornelia Marie met her quota, but the battle with the terrible weather took its toll. Phil returned home, got his "land legs" back, but then spent the summer with too many personal appearances, too much travel and not enough rest."

"October soon arrived with the next king crab season. The Bering Sea once again called Phil and hundreds of other fishermen back to do battle in what has become for many a seasonal migration they would rather die than miss. Low quotas led to the early end of a mostly uneventful season, and Phil was determined to make up for it in the new year."

"On January 29, 2010, Phil and crew were off-loading the Cornelia Marie at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The boat's engineer, Steve Ward found Phil on the floor of the stateroom, having suffered a stroke."

Phil was flown to Anchorage, where he underwent a 12-hour procedure to repair the damage to his brain. He was placed in a medical coma, but even that couldn't keep him completely quiet. He recovered long enough to share his wit and love with family and friends before passing on Feb. 11.

Captain, Father, Friend... We'll Miss You Skipper.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/crews/phil-harris.html